Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2004 1:16:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/8/2004 2:23:32 PM EST by Cincinnatus]
In the Phoenix area.
I'm interested in a possible move.
Some questions....

1) Nicest fancy areas?

2) Up and coming areas?

3) Best place to get a place with some land?

4) How about schools for the young'ns?

5) If you were going to spend $400k on a house for you and family, what area?

6) " " $500k?

7) " " $600k?

8) " " $700k?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 2:53:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:
In the Phoenix area.
I'm interested in a possible move.
Some questions....

1) Nicest fancy areas?

2) Up and coming areas?

3) Best place to get a place with some land?

4) How about schools for the young'ns?

5) If you were going to spend $400k on a house for you and family, what area?

6) " " $500k?

7) " " $600k?

8) " " $700k?

Thanks.

1. Fountain Hills, Paradise Valley, Scottsdale, Ahwatukee area.....

2. Gold Canyon/Peralta, Eastern end of Mesa, Chandler. If you're in for the long haul, my money's on Buckeye. If you're armed and willing to put up with crap until gentrification takes over, El Mirage is starting to improve- especially the areas right around Surprise. If you're willing to drive, Queen Creek's Johndon Ranch area is growing by leaps and bounds.

3. Go FAR east or FAR west. Buckeye.

4. No kids; no idea.

5. Gold Canyon / East Mesa

6. Gold Canyon / East Mesa

7. Gold Canyon / East Mesa

8. Gold Canyon / East Mesa / Paradise Valley / Fountain Hills

Ahwatukee, Chandler, and Scottsdale are great areas, but they don't suit me-- too damn urban. I would rather have a good home and lots of land than a monster McMansion on a tenth of an acre. Give me land, give me space, and give me a lack of suburban soccer mommies with kerry bumper stickers who can't back up their goddamned vehicle.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:46:40 PM EST
Nogales is beautiful this time of year. So is Yuma
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 3:49:56 PM EST
NOT GUADALUPE! Or Central Anyplace, Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, PHX. The Centrals are all a Big NEG. But outline areas are the shizzle. Lots to shoot, especially in the Centrals.

J
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:57:43 PM EST
CASA GRANDE
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:05:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:16:55 PM EST
Well, if you don't mind a 30 minute ride to town (I mean places where you work and downtown) you can buy where I live for about $500K and up. Most houses here are on a few acres or more and zoning is limited to 2.5 acres. At night you see more coyotes than cars in my place.

Cave Creek and north Scottsdale. Hmm, OK maybe the high end of your figures now. But nice I think.

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:29:26 PM EST

Originally Posted By sstrucknguy:
Nogales is beautiful this time of year. So is Yuma

THIS IS BULLSHIT!

In case he took you serious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:50:15 PM EST

Check out around Red Mountain (North East Mesa). Las Sendas community has very nice homes with great views in your price range. Possibly look into Gold Canyon farther east.

DEFINITELY look at far north Scottsdale and Carefree area - most excellent choice.

Personally, if I was in your price range - I would look nowhere else.

BTW... Bienvenidos a Aztlan!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:52:12 PM EST
Fountain Hills or Pima Road north of the 101.

Rio Verde is up and coming and land is still reasonable.

Carefree is nice but expensive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:17:12 PM EST
Aren't you a Major in the Marines?

A $700,00 house?

You didn't accidentally drop a big sack of $100 bills in your sea bag last year in Iraq did you?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:51:45 AM EST
Buy an apartment. Two years later, sell it. Buy a condo. Two years later, sell it. Buy a house...

Each time I've almost doubled my Money.
God bless this market, I suppose.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:08:25 AM EST
Sorry, Arizona's full... please try again later..
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:59:09 AM EST
Cincinnatus,

My sister is a real estate agent in Cave Creek/Carefree and I also have a friend who is an agent in Fountain Hills/North Scottsdale. My friend in Fountain Hills is doing the build a house, live in it a couple of years and sell it making a bunch of money then start over thing. His most recent house is $1.2M, that's how well he's been doing.

I live in North Scottsdale. We've been in our current house since November and it's already appreciated about 25k.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:19:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
Cincinnatus,

My sister is a real estate agent in Cave Creek/Carefree and I also have a friend who is an agent in Fountain Hills/North Scottsdale. My friend in Fountain Hills is doing the build a house, live in it a couple of years and sell it making a bunch of money then start over thing. His most recent house is $1.2M, that's how well he's been doing.

I live in North Scottsdale. We've been in our current house since November and it's already appreciated about 25k.

Well, if we make the move, I'll drop you a line about your sister..
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:44:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By WolverineAtWork:

+1

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:20:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By topjimmy:

+1

Nonono-- we can use the extra Conservatives. It's the liberals who need to get the no vacancy sign..!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:30:37 AM EST
Yo Bystander,

Didn't realize how close you lived. I'm just a wee north of you in Cave Creek.

Nice up here ain't it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:34:56 AM EST
Jimmy,

Sailordude is up there by you as well. He's North of Carefree Hwy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:24:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By prebans:

Originally Posted By topjimmy:

+1

Nonono-- we can use the extra Conservatives. It's the liberals who need to get the no vacancy sign..!

Mike

Roger that. Welcome to AZ, grab your weapon of choice and be prepared for guard duty at the NO VACANCY sign..
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:30:45 PM EST
I live in Gilbert. Its nice here, there is an excellent elementary school one block from my house, and I am 30mins from the Rio Salado range - one of the nations premier practical shooting facilities. Oh, and the girls in AZ are the HOTTEST in the nation !!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 2:48:14 PM EST
Are we talking Mormon girls? A.J. meth girls? ASU girls (non granola chick womens studies girls)?

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:00:34 PM EST
17 year old Scottsdale girls that got fake boobs as a graduation present?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:22:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 10:02:04 AM EST by jtb33]
Anthem!

It's less than 5 miles from Ben Avery Shooting Facility (Web Site) .

Here's Anthem's web site... Home prices start at ~$200K and go up to $620K. We have our own water park (only for residents and guests), our own high-tech gym (for example, the exercise bikes have internet terminals built in so you can browse AR15.com while exercising), and a ton more stuff. We had our home built here just over 4 years ago and LOVE it here. We used to live in Ahwatukee/Foothills area which got way too crowded.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:05:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By jtb33:
Anthem!

It's less than 5 miles from Ben Avery Shooting Facility (Web Site) .

Here's Anthem's web site... Home prices start at ~$200K and go up to $620K. We have our own water park (only for residents and guests), our own high-tech gym (for example, the exercise bikes have internet terminals built in so you can browse AR15.com while exercising), and a ton more stuff. We had our home built here just over 4 years ago and LOVE it here. We used to live in Ahwatukee/Foothills area which got way too crowded.

Yep,

If I were to move to Maricopa County again (not likely to happen), Anthem is the place I'd stop off at.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:36:37 PM EST
The biggest drag about Anthem is having to drive I-17 into town.

We considered it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:02:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By innocent_bystander:
The biggest drag about Anthem is having to drive I-17 into town.

We considered it.

For me, that was actually a plus. It's sufficiently outside of town to be out of the crowd, but close enough that it's not very far to drive. It's close to so much.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:47:45 PM EST
Wow ... I didn't know there were that many of the AZ contingent in the valley's northern regions! I'm just below Carefree Hwy at Cave Creek Rd.

Cincinnatus - when looking for a potential home, you cannot ignore your commute to work (unless you're lucky enough to work at home ... then it's not an issue). I'm in the Cave Creek / North Phoenix area and work in Scottsdale (Gainey Ranch area) - normally about 35 - 40 minute commute each way, which seems like a long way, but it's hassle-free. Some of my coworkers live in the Mesa / Chandler areas, and their commute (both ways) sucks ... big-time. The 101 southbound to the 202 eastbound is a slow-moving clusterf*ck every afternoon. And my understanding is it ain't much fun in the morning, either (coming to work). Even though they are closer to work than I am, they spend more time on the road! Just because the freeway system here across the valley seems adequate doesn't mean that the place is free of "high-stress" commuter routes, and you should consider this when choosing a place to live. Also, development across the entire valley has been on a rapid pace for years now and such will continue ... so, what seems like an easy commute today may be hellish experience three to five years out. A consult with an informed real estate agent can be a valuable thing!

There are nice houses to be had just about anywhere in the Phoenix metro area; some areas should definitely be avoided, though. My approach would be to (1) find out where you / spouse will be working (2) determine which inbound (to work) commuter route(s) are the easiest / fastest (3) look for desirable homes that align with the easy commute (paying attention to future potential for development along the commute that could make things miserable). Good luck!
Top Top