Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2008 3:50:26 AM EDT
I'm probably going to be moving to Roanoke/Salem in January, anyone in that area/from there that can tell me about it?  Decent ranges nearby?  Any good/bad gun shops?  General info?

I'll be working for an industrial automation company in Salem, and I'd kinda like to live somewhere in the city at least until I get settled in.  I'm from Raleigh, NC, so it's not too far for me to drive up and check it out (which I plan on doing shortly), but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
beautiful area. my wife went to school in roanoke (hollins2and i went to VMI in lexington. there are plenty of good primary and secondary schools in the area. crime rates are low and it's clean.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Roanoke Pistol and Rifle Club (requires membership, lots of ranges, well maintained)
National Forest range (just north of blacksburg) (free, and it shows . . .)

You'll likely heard good things and bad things about every gun shop in the area, depending on what day you went in, and who you spoke with at the time.

As far as real-estate is concerned, I can't help you there.  I purposefully chose to live in the county (Montgomery county, just next door), and not in town.

Quoted:
I'm probably going to be moving to Roanoke/Salem in January, anyone in that area/from there that can tell me about it?  Decent ranges nearby?  Any good/bad gun shops?  General info?

I'll be working for an industrial automation company in Salem, and I'd kinda like to live somewhere in the city at least until I get settled in.  I'm from Raleigh, NC, so it's not too far for me to drive up and check it out (which I plan on doing shortly), but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#3]
       I live in Roanoke. Raised up here. Roanoke is a pretty good place to live. Of all the places I've been (while in service) I still like it here the best.

As already stated the Roanoke Rifle & Revolver Club is a private range but well worth that first year join up price (I am a member) just go to www.roanokerifle.com and check it out. Also the public range in Blacksburg, there's also a public range in Paintbank on Rt. 311 the other side of Newcastle, VA, about a 45 minute drive (but a nice one though).

People on the whole are pretty nice, lots of houses being built (despite the market).
Most of the schools a accredited as far as I know. We have an ongoing Magnate Program here. Power comes from Appalchian Power Co. (my employer) The City of Salem has it own power company but they buy their power from Apco, so you're gonna pay more for it if you live in Salem City.

If your married there's plenty of shopping for the better half...i.e.  Valley View Mall, Tanglewood Mall.  

Restaurants out the yang! We have banks coming out of our ears also.

We also have an airborne ambulance called Lifeguard Ten

We have Smith mountain Lake and the James and Roanoke Rivers here, so we're not hurting for fishing spots either.

If you ride a motorcycle (dirty word to some here ) we have a local H.O.G. chapter for the Harleys, a Southern Cruisers chapter for anyone, and a Star chapter for the Yamaha riders.

Plenty of movie theaters.

Roanoke is getting ready to open a brand new Art Museum downtown (if that's yer thing) also.

Fairly large railroad hub here to. New airport terminal, but not that many flights.

Rush hour traffic can be a bit of a pain sometimes (but tolerable).

Well, there's a brief rundown, got any more questions just ask..if you want to check out Roanoke Rifle & Revolver when you get here just email me and let me know.

I think you'll like it here, sure hope so anyway!
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everybody.  I'm young and single, so schools aren't a big concern (yet); I'm about to graduate from NCSU with an EE degree.  

I'll have to check out the Roanoke Rifle and Revolver range too.  Looks damned nice on the website (but don't they all?).  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If you haven't bought a house yet and if you have the $$$, do what you can to move to the Cave Spring area (if you have kids).  Cave Spring's schools are excellent and are probably on par with many private schools.  Roanoke Firewarms and Trader Jerry's are the best dealers there in town.

There are also a pile of arfcomers in the area as well.  Lots of good people.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't live in Roanoke city...stick with Salem or Roanoke County.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't live in Roanoke city...stick with Salem or Roanoke County.

That's what I was thinking, living in Salem, preferably near something to do.

Looks like I'm going up there on August 23, since my new employer is having a picnic and is willing to pick up the tab for me to get there
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#8]
You headed to the GE plant on 419?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you have a dog, there's 'six wags', a dog park and doggie-day-care about a mile away.  forget child care, doggie care is more important
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Where's six wags?  My BT (see avatar) loves to jump in the river at Green Hill and Fishburn Parks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where's six wags?  My BT (see avatar) loves to jump in the river at Green Hill and Fishburn Parks.

Six Wags Dog Park
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Six Wags Dog Park

OK...it's the old driving range behind (alongside?) Lee Hi Lanes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Six Wags Dog Park

OK...it's the old driving range behind (alongside?) Lee Hi Lanes.

Yep, the 'former' driving range sign is still visible from the street.  The dog park is behind the bowling alley (near the pancake house)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

TMGE, a subsidiary of GE/Toshiba/Mitsubishi.  They're on Roanoke Bvld, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that's the same one.  It's within a quarter mile of the Salem Civic Center, where the gun shows are.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TMGE, a subsidiary of GE/Toshiba/Mitsubishi.  They're on Roanoke Bvld, IIRC.

Electric Road, actually.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think that's the same one.  It's within a quarter mile of the Salem Civic Center, where the gun shows are.

Awesome!  I knew I picked the right place to work
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought TMGE was down the road near Lewis Gale. Oh, well...shows what I know
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't see anyone say anything about Ridge Rifle Association which is about 35 minutes north of Roanoke on N 220 just the other side of Fincastle.  Club keeps 150 members max at any given time with several openings currently.  I have been a member with them for the past 15 years or so and most of the time the range is all to myself.  Lots of old fellas in the club who don't shoot much but love to meet for club meetings once per month on the first Thursday.

You can go to http://www.ridgerifle.com/ to check it out.

Welcome to the area!

Regards,

Paco
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:32:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I didn't see anyone say anything about Ridge Rifle Association which is about 35 minutes north of Roanoke on N 220 just the other side of Fincastle.  Club keeps 150 members max at any given time with several openings currently.  I have been a member with them for the past 15 years or so and most of the time the range is all to myself.  Lots of old fellas in the club who don't shoot much but love to meet for club meetings once per month on the first Thursday.

You can go to http://www.ridgerifle.com/ to check it out.

Welcome to the area!

Regards,

Paco

IM Sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top