Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 10/3/2005 8:06:23 AM EDT
I'm considering putting in an application to the U of I Law School next year. (My father requires me to tell you that I'm not going there to become a lawyer; I'm going to do something respectable like playing piano in a whorehouse.)

Aside from driving through Iowa (which left positive impressions each time), I don't know too much about the state.

Originally from WI, now live in AZ.

I am aware that Iowa suffers from some wonky gun laws.  I am also a Class III out here.  How easy/hard is it to get a CCW?  Do you think it'd be difficult to move my FFL/SOT into Iowa without too much hassle?

Thanks!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well in Johnson county (Iowa City) it is impossible from what I hear.  In Iowa City there is the biggest hippies of all so they all vote Dem.

Now in Linn county (north of Johnson Cedar Rapids) you can get it a little easier but still not 100%.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to talk our Iowa moderator, the resident class 3 resource here. I am class 07, but am not aware of the procedures for form 1 transfers of residency.  BH you around man?

Leo Williams
Superior Arms
www.superiorarms.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You need to talk our Iowa moderator, the resident class 3 resource here. I am class 07, but am not aware of the procedures for form 1 transfers of residency.  BH you around man?

Leo Williams
Superior Arms
www.superiorarms.com

So you're a Type 07 (can manufacture guns) but not a Class II (manufacture NFA stuff)?  Nifty!  What do you build?

I'm a standard Type 01 (dealer) with a Class III (sell NFA stuff).  I envy you-- they'd let me get ANY dealer license out of my house including DD, explosives, etc-- but no manufacturing.

Well, there'd be no forming of anything federally-- that much I know.  They should just stay on my books and come with me to wherever I set up shop.  That's the good part.

Bad part..?  I worry that if I gave up my license, I'd have to give up my stuff.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well in Johnson county (Iowa City) it is impossible from what I hear.  In Iowa City there is the biggest hippies of all so they all vote Dem.

Now in Linn county (north of Johnson Cedar Rapids) you can get it a little easier but still not 100%.

Hrm.  How are the counties contiguous to Johnson?  Maybe I'll have to do the commuting thing..?

I don't like the sound of this "may issue" stuff...  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#5]
We manufacture AR15 rifle clones.  Class 2 is in our future, but its not approved yet.  Check out the web site www.superiorarms.com.  We have been in the market about 1 year and are not widely known outside of the Iowa/ Ilinois corridor. I'd think your problem would not be federal but careful selection of residence county. check out www.iowacarry.org as well for ccw info.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We manufacture AR15 rifle clones.  Class 2 is in our future, but its not approved yet.  Check out the web site www.superiorarms.com.  We have been in the market about 1 year and are not widely known outside of the Iowa/ Ilinois corridor. I'd think your problem would not be federal but careful selection of residence county. check out www.iowacarry.org as well for ccw info.

Too bad the permits aren't valid for a longer period.  It'd make it easier if I could declare in county x, get the ccw, move to UI, and still have a valid permit until graduation.

Guess they're smarter than that.  

Do you have a rifle up at GlockTalk as a fundraiser thing..?

Mike
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Prebans I'll try to answer what I can about your circumstances.

1)  CCW is a hit or miss situation depending on your County, as was stated before, and won't change before you get up here.  I live in a non-issue (good old boy system) County but will be visiting the Sheriff this fall/winter and asking him if he wants me to be carrying Class 3 firearms around without a CCW?!  Others in our Corporation said he should see the light after that statement.

2)  As was stated above you'll need to form a Corporation in Iowa to have your Class 3 license transfered to this State.  I don't think I'll need to tell you how long all that paperwork will take between the State and the BATFE.  You'll set up your Corporation and its members (wife, etc.) and then transfer your license to your new address up here and wait for that updated license to arrive.  So you'll need to know what your address is before you change your FFL's address which means you have to check on the most important aspect...ZONING.  As you're aware of zoning plays a key part on where you can set up your Corporation/FFL(SOT) without having to have an actual storefront and regular business hours.  Ideally you'll find a place to live out in the country and in an unincorporated area that has no zoning requirements.

3)  I'm not sure if you're just coming up to Iowa to be a student or if you're going to be teaching and staying awhile.  While you're waiting to find a place to live and waiting for your Corporation to be registered with the State all your Class 3 firearms will have to stay down in Arizona.  If you keep your address in Arizona that your FFL is listed at you can keep everything down there as a dual-state-resident if you're only going to be up here for a year or so and plan on going back down there to live after going to the U of I.  Lots of variables as I don't know if you operated out of your home or if you had a store front down there in Arizona, I do remember a year or so when you announced that you were going to becoming a dealer but I don't know to what extent you became.

4)  If you gave up your license you would have to give up any Post-86 Dealer Samples you have in your FFL but you would be able to keep Pre-86 Dealer Samples and Transferables if you left them down there in Arizona at an address known by the BATFE and stored in a way that only you have access to.

I'm no expert on this field and don't know your situation completely but I hope this helps you out a little bit.  If you were to place this question on the M-16/Auto forum you would get answers from others who have gone thru what you're asking about and have more experience in this area than myself.  Good Luck on whatever you decide and feel free to ask any questions you may have!

ETA:  Having reread your post I see that you're putting in an application to the law school so that rules out you being a teacher.  Also I see that you stated next year as when you'll be attending if you get selected, you would still need to check on zoning where you're going to live and have a lease/mortgage on that address before you can submit paperwork to the State about forming a Corporation and to change you FFL address from AZ to IA.  Basically if you want to have everything set for next school year you'll need to have set up an address for your paperwork/application.

Thank you very much for your advice!  I'll respond point by point.

1.  Yeah, I'm seeing that.  Toolman_556 forwarded me a link to a county-by-county map of IA showing where ccw is basically shall issue, where it's restricted, and where it's impossible to get.  What a mess to go through!

2.  Must I form a corporation?  I am a sole prop out here-- no corporation, just a business in my name.  Is it an Iowa requirement that I must form a corp?  That'll involve completely dissolving my FFL/SOT and reforming it under a new business entity.  I'm unincorporated right now-- zoning and planning was easy because they issued a letter stating that no one really has jurisdiction in this area.

3.  I will be a student.  My current operation is out of my house.

4.  Yup; aware of that.  No post-samples in stock  and anything would probably be kept in a neighboring state or locked up at my parent's place in WI.

Wow, IA law and NFA is pretty messy...  I knew that Iowa had some odd ccw rules, but...  

Down here you can't toss a rock without hitting a C2 or a C3.  Head down the road 50 miles and you've got a DD manufacturer who sells to the public and rents a 90mm.  (See www.damagellc.com/ for more information.)

Thank you for your assistance!

Sincerely,

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll double check on the forming of a Corporation up here to form a FFL/SOT.  I know of only one other FFL/SOT here in Iowa (currently operating) and they're in the Des Moines area as well and they are set up as a Corporation as well, actually they were the first to form a Corporation and bypass the ban on private ownership of Class 3 firearms in this State.  Yes, Iowa used to be NFA friendly but a law was passed that banned them and there was NO grandfather clause allowed...that means there are "legally transferable" firearms owned "illegally" in Iowa by citizens who have them stored away so no one can find them until their descendents find them as they're getting their estate ready for sale.  I know of two cousins up in northern Iowa that are Class II manufacturers (as well as Superior Arms waiting on their paperwork to come back) and was just introduced to another manufacturer last weekend who specializes in Thompsons...he just started in August and I believe he had four Thompsons there that he had built and they were sweet!  He had a .22lr Thompson that ran great and may have him build us up a Post-86 .22lr Thompson as well as trying to make a Post-86 sear pack for my PPS-50.

Since you are a current FFL/SOT I will ask around and see if you could just change your FFL/SOT address (pending zoning approval/lack of zoning) from down there to up here without forming a Corporation.  I'll be getting back to you on that!

*** UPDATE: ***  
I spoke to someone MUCH more advanced in Iowegian NFA knowledge than me and you do NOT have to have a Corporation to have your Class 3 FFL/SOT back here but we do it back here as it prevents someone from suing for more than the Corporations assets (in case of accident) which makes all the spouses happy that they won't end up living down by the river in a cardboard box.  You would have to find an address in the Iowa City area that would be zoned so you could operate your FFL out of your home or live in an outlying area that has no zoning restrictions.  Once you find an address that would work you'd send in your paperwork to change the address of your FFL which CAN take a long time believe me.  At that point you can do one of three options:
1)  Keep your inventory locked up in a neighboring state
2)  Keep your inventory locked up at your parents place in WI
3)  If you'd like you can keep either: one, some or all (unless it's a REALLY big collection or they're all bulky belt-feds) of your inventory at our locations (ours and/or the other Class 3 FFL/SOT in town) which would be temporarily entered into our books until your change of address is returned to you.  Advantage to you is that you could shoot your firearms in this state (as long as a member of the FFL that is storing that firearm is present) and advantage to us is that it shows a positive flow of incoming inventory to our FFL and then being transfered back out to you once your FFL change of address comes back approved.  Your firearms could be kept in locking cases that only you have the key to (I believe that is legal even though it's in our FFL's "possession") which would prevent any notions of use/misuse on our part.  If you'd only want to keep a couple machineguns that you shoot the most often and store the rest at your parents or the neighboring state that would be up to you.  You already know that you can "store" at either your parents or the neighboring state (providing it's NFA friendly) as long as you are the only one with access to their locked status.

Just thought I'd let you know what I found out and give you some more options to think about...as if you didn't have enough already!

You got dedicated .22lr Thompsons to work reliably??!  You're my new hero.  

Heh, believe me-- my inventory is SMALL.  I will be starting to stock items like the Serbu Super Shorty (they're legal for CCW here in AZ) and maybe some cans, but I'm not big enough (or rich enough) to have racks of MG's or anything.  I'm small time right now.  (If tonight's lotto drawing works out, that may be subject to change.)  

I didn't form the corp because I wanted to be able to keep any presamples I had upon retirement/letting the license lapse.  That's not possible with a corporation, but it is as a sole prop (according to my ATF agent who did my interview).

My original goal was to buy up about half a dozen transferrable MGs and hold onto them for the school year.  I'd then sell them off and buy up another six-- or sit on them longer as I feel fit.  It'd be a good investment while I was studying and would leave me with some good cash (and profit!) after my time is done in law school.  I'm thinking that may not be a realistic goal if I do Iowa-- or maybe I'd buy them out here, sit on them, and then sell as an individual..?  Dunno.

Wow, Iowa law is rough.  Why in the world did they make NFA harder?  It's not like registered items bare used by criminals, but I'm preaching to the choir here.....

THANK YOU for your assistance!

Mike
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top