Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 3:29:35 PM EDT
Got a possible job down there and know nothing about it.
Whats the weather like winter/ summer?
I dont mind hot but hate humid.
What are the people and environment like?
Thanks in advance.
Thump
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I will be absolutely honest with you.

It is the asshole of the Earth. There is nothing to do whatsoever in that area of the state.

I work in the general area in oil field sales but do not live there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
One answer at a time
"Know nothing about it"? Your job or Dilley? Don't know about your job, but there is lots of money to be made around there. The town on the other hand... nothing like you have ever seen, unless....
"Weather"? Hot (115)... sometimes cool(70s), seldom cold (30s), dry or humid depending on the day,
"People"? Most everybody is from somewhere else, mostly professional, friendly. Service people (locals)  seem to think they have something better to do.
"Environment"? Mostly Mexican decent, but very easy to blend in with, most here just want to get the job done and get a great paycheck. (Or did you mean cactus, wind and dust?)
Welcome to northern Mexico, where are you from?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I spent any time there, there were 2 places to eat and 1 gas station.  It's been 10 years and I wouldn't think twice about going back buy to check things out.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Shit hole for sure.  I lived there for a year back in 2005. It's been taken over by the Eagle Ford Shale types and whatever comes along with that crowd.  It's hard to find a place to live.  You're family will probably hate you for moving them there.  You're about an hour from SA city limits and about an hour and twenty minutes from the border.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Graduated from high school there.

It's...quiet.

Weather in the summertime is just about as hot as you'll find anywhere in the state. (In Cotulla - just a few miles to the south), it's not uncommon to find homes without water heaters - The water provided by the city is plenty warm enough for most residential uses. It's not nearly as humid as the Texas coastline, but not nearly as dry as west Texas, either.

Weather in the wintertime is very mild. Every several years, you'll get an exceptionally cold day with a hard freeze or a little sleet - And there have been a few days over the past decade where it actually snowed.

San Antonio and Laredo are both just a tad over an hour's drive away - So there are decent diversions on the weekends. Pearsall (about 17 miles north) has a Wal-Mart.

ETA: Senorx is correct about the housing situation - The Eagle Ford play has made affordable housing almost impossible to find in the area. If you're negotiating with a prospective employer, you'll DEFINITELY want to take this into account.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies.
It sounds much like where i am currently in nw oklahoma just warmer in the winter.
I will be working in the oil business ansd pretty much have to decide between south texas and west texas.
I am leaning toward west tx at the moment.

My original post was for purcell tx which is right on the mx border, fuck that.
Then i found it was pearsall and that seems much better.

I am single with no kids. Just want to make as much as i can for a while.

Final question.
If it were you, would you live near dilley or odessa/midland area?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dilley will have more diversions within reasonable driving distance. Aside from SA and Laredo, the coastline isn't all that far away - and Austin isn't all that far north of San Antonio.

Midland is a much, MUCH larger town - So you might be able to keep yourself entertained without ever having to leave city limits. However, it is a long drive from there to just about any major city.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
OST.  Prison town.  I used to make the drive though for a 22 yo blonde
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot about the Briscoe Unit in Dilley. Pearsall is equally a shit hole. I still work in and around this area. At least your 100 miles from the border in Pearsall and less than an hour from SA.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:42:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forgot about the Briscoe Unit in Dilley. Pearsall is equally a shit hole. I still work in and around this area. At least your 100 miles from the border in Pearsall and less than an hour from SA.

Dontvfeorget Catulla spelling.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
lots of money to be made in the area, have to say that

I'd rather live in Laredo or Zapata than Cotulla/Dilley/etc., and I left that area for a reason... I have a cousin who works in Crystal City (maybe 30 miles away from Cotulla or Dilley) and commutes from Del Rio because he just doesn't want to live there.

Truth is, unless you're deer hunting, oil field, or in the cattle business (like you can make a decent living in that biz these days.... sigh), there isn't much there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't answer the final question from personal experience but, Corporate sends people here that travel to all locations that we have equipment. All of these people hate going to Midland/Odessa (one of them is stuck in Pennsylvania right now, he might prefer M/O at the moment). No wife or kids, come on down and make some good money. One point though, 50 miles west of Dilley is the "old west", no kidding.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No shit. What year? I grew up there too.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. What year? I grew up there too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top