Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 7:02:25 AM EDT
Hello all , I have recently been offered a job in the DFW area-nothing set in stone at this time (just something to think about) . I have limited exposure to Dallas .The job is in Irving TX (next door to TX stadium).Double the money -just dont know enough about the city to form an opinion yet.

I am originally from Memphis .Any input would be greatly apprecited.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Irving is a great town.  Cost of living is reasonable.  Its centered in the DFW area, so access to things in both Dallas and Ft Worth are equal.  If you don't live in Dallas, you will not have to put up with the mayor and her antics.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to Texas (long as you aren't another damyankee).  If you like the big city, you'll love the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  If you like the country, you can get there from here with a "short" drive of around an hour or less.  Cost of living is good...freedoms still mostly exist here that have been lost in many other parts of the country.  Be prepared for long, hot summers, short cold winters...and even shorter spring and fall seasons.  Texas information can be found by navigating from:

http://www.state.tx.us/

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#3]
dallas is full of yankee transplants
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ranges arent that great around here, but its acceptable.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The commute into Irving might be a PITA, depending on where you will live.  I think the key will be for you to research housing.  You may find out the house/apt you want is either out of your price range or two hours from work.  It will depend upon your needs.

A/C in your car will be a MUST.  You will probably use it 10 months a year.  Hot summers are the real issue with weather.  Winters are fairly temperate, but can be wet.  

Spring and Autumn can go from ice to humid as hell to rain in a few days.  And, being in tornado alley, weather is a sport.

Good luck!
Dawg Killer
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks ya'll for the intel.

No , I aint no yankee carpetbagger . Tennessee- born and raised.

If Irving is where the job is -is there any areas relatively nearby that I would want to consider /avoid. How will those areas probably be in 10-15 years. One of the guys that is talking to me about this lives on the far side of Ft. Worth and has a 1 1/2 hr commute to work  -1 WAY !!!!

Im a tad worried that the main reasons I dont care for Memphis will only be multiplied 10 fold in Dallas.

Again, I appreciate your responses.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Shit boy, just move onto my apartments and you will be 10 minutes from work. You want to live west of where your job is going to be. Nw can get pricey but it is a better neighborhood. SW is a mix of people that didn't grow up speaking english. There is a good brazilian community with a church and a great restaurant.  Come down for a few days. I live just south of DFW airport, so you will be my new neighbor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top