Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 12:26:02 PM EDT
I have an interview with a company in the area.  
Does SC have an income tax?  What about the crime rate?
Climate? Hurricanes? Is one area better to live than another?
What kind of steps does one need to take to
acquire a CCW?

Any information would be appericated.
 I have searched the net and found alot of information but would
like some first hand information.

Batchman
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
yes ther is an income tax
havent had a real hit since hugo in 89?
i live in summervile and its not that bad
if tn is not good here its just a 1 day class for ccp
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#2]
In TN is is only a one day class.  We also must pay the state a fee.
It gets pretty pricy.  

Edited to add***
TN does have a recipoical agreement with SC.  Looking at packing.org
SC does not have alot of recipical agreements with other states that TN does.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Greetings.

As noted above, SC has an income tax.  There is currently an effort to do away with our property taxes (but when was the last time you saw a government eliminate a tax?).  We have property taxes on homes and vehicles.

The crime rate isn't bad for a city the size of Charleston.  North Charleston is in the news regularly for drug busts, shootings, etc.  Further out, like in Summerville (where I live) it's fairly quiet.  Like all towns, there are good areas and areas to avoid.

Climate is like 8 months of summer and 4 months of a combined fall/spring.  That's what it's like to me.  I grew up in PA and we don't have a bona fide winter here.  Summers are hot and sticky.

The last time we got hammered with a major hurricane was Hugo in '89.  We've been threatened a bunch of times since then, but most of them have turned north and abused NC.  

The area is growing fast (population).  Mount Pleasant (across the Cooper River from Charleston) is busting at the seams, traffic-wise.  Most people live in areas north of Charleston and commute.  I-26 can get clogged when someone gets stupid.

Overall, it's not a bad place.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply.

How far of a commute is Summerville?

Edited to add
Are there any good places to shoot in the Charleston area?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.

How far of a commute is Summerville?

Edited to add
Are there any good places to shoot in the Charleston area?

Summerville is about 20-30 minutes up I-26 if traffic is flowing.  Longer if it's congested.

For shooting, there are two public 100-yard ranges in the Francis Marion National Forest.  No charge to use them.  

There are a couple gun shops with indoor ranges.  I know of Trader World in North Charleston (near the Air Force Base) and ATP in Goose Creek.

ETA: There is also Palmetto Gun Club.  They have a pretty nice setup with pistol bays and rifle ranges that go out to 600 yards.  I've heard they are in the process of acquiring property to go out to 1,000 yards.  Membership is a tad pricey for the average bear, but it's a pretty good operation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
BroHawk:
 Thanks for the information and assistance.
        Batchman
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
if you do move here me brohawk and some others try to get together and go to the free ranges

brohawk also is old and drives an old truck it only takes me like 15min from scummerville to charlston
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if you do move here me brohawk and some others try to get together and go to the free ranges

brohawk also is old and drives an old truck it only takes me like 15min from scummerville to charlston

Old???!!!  Why, you young pup!!!  I resemble that remark!

I've never actually timed a run down into Chucktown.  I just get bored on interstate highways, so it seems like it takes a while.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Charlston is really nice, havent lived there, but have been there several times, most of the hurricaines hit the NC coast or north of charleston, but most of the buildings there have survived as long as they have, so they should be ok, hell when Hugo made it to central NC, it was tearing stuff up bad, and charleston survived it, so i wouldnt be that worried about that. Hurricaines are just wind and rain (and the occasional tornado), they are only really bad if you are within a 1/4 mile from the beach, or in a really low lying area.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hurricaines are just wind and rain (and the occasional tornado), they are only really bad if you are within a 1/4 mile from the beach, or in a really low lying area.

Yep.  That storm surge can suck royally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top