Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Nags Head/Kitty Hawk is actually pretty commerialized these days. If you go further north on 158 or Highway 12, you start getting into the more "quaint" areas of the Outer Banks. If you really want to get away from it all and be as ocean front as you can get, look into Corolla...you can rent a house actually ON the beach...as in, 12 ends, you get out drop the air pressure in the tires, put it in 4 wheel high, and drive up the beach to your house. It's beautiful there, very calm and laid back, and away from all the rat-race at most beaches.
There's also the wild horses there that live in the scrub brush on the beach, they're pretty cool until they start getting into your trash and taking big ole horse craps in your front "yard".
My wife and I go there every May and stay for a week or so. Obviously, it's better to go during the non-peak months....not as many idots wanting you to help pull/push them out of the sand, and not as pricey. During peak months, homes rent for as much as $5-10K/week. Like I said, we go earlier in the year, when they rent for under $1K/week.
Just get on Google and look for Outer Banks NC rentals, and you'll get a ton of hits. We usually use Twiddy Realty. They have good homes and prices, and also respond quickly if there are any problems.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Go down the cape for moore remote towns, Avon, Rodanthe, Salvo, Waves.

You can aslo take a ferry out to Ocracoke Island from Hatteras, which feels  even more remote,
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go down the cape for moore remote towns, Avon, Rodanthe, Salvo, Waves.

You can aslo take a ferry out to Ocracoke Island from Hatteras, which feels  even more remote,

Ocracoke is great.  No commercialization at all with regards to chain stores, restaurants, etc.  If you want to "get away", you will love it there.  If you ever make it to Ocracoke, be sure and take in Howard's Pub.

SM
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
OBX is great.  I'm sure by mentioning Duck, a lot of guys will say it's too commercial, but it's nice.  You should check out a house called The Moon Tree.  It's beautiful.  My fam goes there every year.  It was the first house built in the development, so it's location is prime.  The porch is connected to the sound access point (sounds like you'd get a lot of traffic from neighbors, but you don't.  Nice and shady because there are trees all around it.  You can practically spit into the sound from the porches, and then it's approx 800m across the road to beach access.  I prefer the sound anyway for seclusion.  Look it up online, it's a great place.

Oh yeah, the view is one of the best I've seen in the whole world for sun sets/sun rises...and I've seen some INCREDIBLE views.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top