Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/18/2004 9:25:34 AM EST
I couldn't even go to the Fon Du Lac show, let alone the class.
Darned work keeps getting in the way of my play time.

Share what you learned.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:45:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 12:53:13 PM EST by tommytrauma]

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
I couldn't even go to the Fon Du Lac show, let alone the class.
Darned work keeps getting in the way of my play time.

Share what you learned.

It's hard to know where to begin. Great class, gereat bunch of folk. Sully was supurb as an instructor. Everyone seemed to be starting out at around the same point, and the class progressed at the perfect pace.

Class started with maintaince and a few equipment hints. (Hint; If you're missing a take down pin detent, your take down pin falls out in front of the whole class.) We then moved to zeroing, with Sully endorsing the Santose 50 yard zero. From there, we covered carbine / pistol transition, shooting positions including prone, SBS prone, shooting from around wierd shit prone, kneeling, shooting with a dislocated patella from kneeling on a small tree stump, and standing. We went into shooting on the move forward, backward, and lateral, stoppage drills, reload drills, communication, etc. We finished with some good, solid distance shooting. Dr. Doolittle made the day by pulling out a .458 socom and letting everyone spend his expensive ammo wacking steel gongs with it.

Sully endorses a shooting posture that places you square to the target, legs almost even with the strong leg just a half step behind the weak. elbows pulled tight in under the weapon, slight bend at the T-spine with pelvis pulled in.. It's different than how I was taught, and does indeed seem to be a much more stable platform. Let's you transition to a pistol without changing stance, lets you move and shoot well. He presented a couple of ways to move in each direction, with the "groucho" walk working best for me forward, a similar toe / heel walk backwards, and a simple slide for lateral movements. His varied shooting positions allow you to shoot and make hits from behing almost any form of cover.

Stan's place was great for the course, and his hospitality can't be beat. Everyone there was there to learn, and there was a wealth of knowledge shared by the students as well as Sully. I have to admit to being surprised as well as pleased at not seeing a single safety problem during the whole weekend. We ran a hot range, and everyone obviously already had the safety fundamentals deeply ingrained.

Saturday night was a bit chilly for those of us who camped out, but it was worth in to see the the great chair burning.

A lot of what Sully taught us is gonna take some serious practice to work into muscle memory. (Just ask Blade I and II. ) I usually throw away 20% or 30% of what any instructor offers. I walked away with a whole lot more than that from this class though.

Quite simply, we HAVE to do this again. Was tremendous fun as well as great instruction.

Photos should be forthcoming.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:35:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 2:41:13 PM EST by drjarhead]

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:40:24 PM EST
Tommy covered it pretty well.

I had a blast, went thru just over 1000rds and today I was wondering what is in the Carbine III class. All you guys that didn't make it missed out on a great time and a great learning experience. Thanks to Sully.
And thanks to Stan and his wife fro putting up with us.

We have a great group of guys in WI. I'm going to have to start going to more of these. Gotta feeling there might be more of these set next year. We'll have to get an earlier start.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:29:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/19/2004 4:12:36 AM EST by photoman]

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Tommy covered it pretty well.

I had a blast, went thru just over 1000rds and today I was wondering what is in the Carbine III class. All you guys that didn't make it missed out on a great time and a great learning experience. Thanks to Sully.
And thanks to Stan and his wife fro putting up with us.

We have a great group of guys in WI. I'm going to have to start going to more of these. Gotta feeling there might be more of these set next year. We'll have to get an earlier start.

Is April early enough?

Some of the photos are up in the tacked thread
Top Top