Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2005 12:38:51 AM EDT
I am a single father of one boy; I had a former fourteen year career as a Deputy Sheriff, and firearms trainer. Some members may even remember me as the person who used to put on and run the Clackamas County Sheriffs Office three gun combat matches.  Due to a medical condition, I cannot return to law enforcement. I have been looking for a decent job and to start a second career for three years now, with no luck, I have been just scraping by, making ends meet. I have sold my house, and almost everything I own to make ends meet.

They say networking is the way to find a job in today’s economy. As I do not know anyone who can help me with that, and have tried everything else, I thought I would give this idea a shot. People will usually be more motivated, when there is something in it for them, I offer the following proposition:

If anyone reading this provides a job offer, lead or recommendation, that leads to a full time permanent position (open to any career field except sales), with a real livable wage, benefits (insurance, vacation, retirement, etc.) in the Portland metro area, I will give them $200.00 to pay their tax stamp, and on approval of their ATF stamp, transfer a like new Wilson Combat/Scatterguns Technology tricked out 14” Remington 870 Border Patrol shotgun. Current retail on these is $1,175.00.

If you think you can help me, and help yourself to a great combat shotgun in the process, please e-mail me for a copy of my resume, and photographs of the 870. Not looking for a hand out, just a little help in finding a good job, and willing to reward that help. Thank you for looking, and God bless.
Semper Fi,
Flyingrhino
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey man i will start off by saying i doubt anyone here wants something in return for helping a friend out..

First off i would contact a company called Employers Overload, and CSR Personnal.. both are temp agencys but they have kept me in work solid for the past 5 mouths that i have been out of school..

just please keep in mind for the most part the jobs you get are the ones that nobody else wants.. they tend to be hard or dirty work..  but they WILL find you employment..

Jess

*Edit: i wish to point out that for the most part i have been geting full time hours from these Temps.. and i was at one place for 4 mouths.. the last two jobs i have had where temp to hire but i dident want to be 'stuck' at the palces that i where working.. both where rather nasty..*
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Jess, thanks for the reply and suggestion. I am currently working, it is just a very low paying, dead end job, with no benifits. I just need some help in finding something better. I have always been very career minded, and this has been very frustrating. Everyone always says it will get better, or it will work out. Almost four years now....

That is why the offer. But thank you for the suggestions.
S/F
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know of any leads that I get. Right now I am bouncing between Oregon and Nevada between retirin and movin. The Air Force still has me on the books (and for a couple of workin' days) until Jan. But I am currently lookin' for employment, also. Where are you lookin' (what field) and what part of the state? I am currently lookin' in the Roseburg/Sutherlin area for something in Construction Inspection or Electrical. Also, are you a Vet? The LVR at the employment office in Roseburg has been helpful. I can IM you his info, if you have your DD214. Also, if you find somethin through a lead I give you, don't worry about transfering the shotgun. If you need to transfer it, do so to get somethin' for your kid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Flyingrhino,

I second that.  I don't think anyone would or should ask for anything in return, other than a thank you, to help someone get up on their feet again.  

Are there any positions, fields, careers that interest you more than others, or are you wide open to suggestions?  Military background opens up all kinds of possibilities for federal jobs (VA, Army Corp of Engineers, Post Office, etc - and with military service, you get preference.)  Also the law enforcement background would be helpful in any kind of security service position, not necessarily a wanna-be store security job, but more in the administrative capacity (Director of Store security, Training Supervisor, etc)  Just some hints.

But you can check the Oregon State Unemployment job listings on-line and get lists of their listed jobs.  They also have apprenticeship programs available, too.

Other than that, I know that Freightliner was hiring and may still be.  This would be more of a production environment, shift work, etc. if you are interested in something like that.  

Most of your manufacturing jobs are hiring on and off, depending on work load, so you might want to be careful with those, specially if they are TEMP positions.

But I would try Freightliner, Albertson's Warehouse, Precision Castparts, Cleanpak International - there is a part-time Clackamas County deputy that works in the manufacturing shop there (Steve Kosta) if you know him it might help.  

Other places to try if you don't mind the hours and RETAIL...Costco, Sportsmans' Warehouse, Home Depot, etc.  Note that I didn't list any of the major chains like Freddies, etc because the pay would make it pretty hard for you to make ends meet.  The others pay halfway decent.

Anyway, I hope this gives you a few more ideas that you may not have thought of.  Wish it could be more definitive as far as an actual job offer goes, but you never know until you try.  Good luck to you and if I hear of any other SOLID leads I'll post them here.

Slo
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I know my company is looking for a few positions to fill but I don't know what they are. I'll take a look at their website in a few. Merix.com. Here you go frome the website. It's located in Forest Grove and Wood Village(near Gresham) Looks like these jobs are for the corporate office in Forest Grove.

Executive Assistant (2023x)

Finance & Accounting Tax Manager (2003x)

Director of Finance (2001x)

Accounting Manager / SEC Reporting (2020x)

Financial Analyst IV (1197x)

Cost Accountant (2033x)

Sr. Staff Accountant (2025x)

Director Internal Audit (2026x)

Accounting Analyst II/III (2031x)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you wiling to re-locate?

I could think of quite a few down in this neck of the woods.

Oh and for the record, I dont think anyone on here would want to be remembered as the person that took your ultra-cool shotgun for just helping you out.  Save it, sell it if you need to, but no need to offer it up here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you to all for the great replys. I am pretty much cofined to the metro area, due to sharing custody of my son.
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I may be able to steer you towards some possibilities.  I sent you a personal email with contact info.

Getting a viable job with does seem to take networking these days.  I applied for one position and was not even considered (no interview, response or anything).  

A month or so later I got a call from someone I didn’t know who told me he got my name from an acquaintance.   He thought I would be great in a job he had.  The short story is that this was the same job I had applied for a month before – they hired me and had nothing but great comments on my work.  I took another position later with another company (same kind of deal – this company wouldn’t have given me the time of day if I didn’t know someone in the company.
In both cases I didn’t hardly know the people that recommended me.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Bob,
Reply sent via e-mail.
Regards,
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Jease. I only read a few sentences of your post about needing a job and sent the message. Then, after reading all the hub-bub about not taking the shotty in other posts, I read the whole original post. I thought it was just a Wilson and didn't even realize it was a class III Wilson. I'd be real happy just to help you out. I'll IM you in a few about getting your resume. Posters on this forum are usually top notch so just helping would give me enough satisfaction. Gun control freaks always say that we're psychos or gun nuts but in my experience, the nuts are usually the best kind of people.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
GackMan and Shotgun,
Did the IM's I sent make it though to you guys? Thanks.
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#13]
If you would consider retail, Walgreens in Portland/Vancouver is going to go through a series of hirings for Management Trainees within the next week.  It's stable work, and very good benefits.  Major expansion planned as well.  Just a thought and I could let you know who to contact.  Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Nick,
e-mail sent. Thank you.
flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Best of luck to you.  I too am having a difficult time finding work.  With Philip's permission I'll share the insight he gave me.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont know about the medical condition but if you can work corrections MCSO will be hiring again and the pay will start at around $22ish/hr IIRC.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Mr.45auto,
Thank you for the suggestion, but corrections, anlong with other LE is not possible (I wish it was).
Flyingrhino
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure of your limitations either or what type of type of work your looking for but I can tell you that there is a pile of consruction going on right now. Ever think of maybe an apprenticeship program? You start out at a wage usually somewhere in the 50% of scale range and you will be making scale in 4-5 years depending on the program you get into. Most all of the construction trades pay pretty well for blue collar...

Good luck....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top