Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 1:39:35 PM EDT
Hey all,
The wife and I have recently decided that we may consider moving to VA (or NC) in a couple years. We're both music teachers here in MD (dying to get out of this God forsaken state) and were wondering what the schools in VA were like? I know that despite MD being the 4th wealthiest state, we have the worst retirement plans. We're well aware of the nightmarish costs of living in NoVa (we teach in Oxon Hill and a lot of the teachers in our school live in Alexandria) and we're NOT interested in living there.  We're talking about Virginia, Virginia .  What's the cost of living, schools etc like?

Thanks fellers
Rich
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...

I think that is the arguement for most teachers in any schools system, high cost of living, LOW PAY. I teach here in VA, in a city called VA Beach. Virginia Beach is one of the MOST expensive areas to purchase a home. Everything is moderately priced, but the cost of homes is unbelievable. The school system is great, we are the highest paid in Hampton Roads. A ranch style home, 3 BR, 2.5 baths would be priced 250K+ in the wonderful city, but you can find a deal on a "fixer-upper".

The thing is... You are a music teacher, you might have wait in line for a job, most people that land one of these jobs usually retires from it.

Go to www.vbschools.com for more info.

SE Hampton Roads is a wonderful place, especially VA Beach, if you are in to Class 3
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Prices in VaBeach are acutally stabilizing very quickly.    Last year For Sale signs would stay up for  a few weeks max, then sold.   Now, I can count plenty of signs that have been up since the summer.  I think that lots of folks figured they would buy and flip.   Now, you actually have to live in your house.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
not to be a nit picker but as far as housing costs it is hard to best the dc area.  even manassas has townhouses w/ 2br, 2.5 bath going for over 300k and that is not counting a garage.  but for that price if you look at the i-81 corridor you can get a few acres to look out on.

most of the schools in virginia aren't bad.  the up side to it though is that if you find one that sucks you can always find another one in need of teachers for the next school year.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Rich,

For the love of all that's holy, don't leave me here in PGC by myself    I was looking forward to finally meeting a fellow music teacher that I could relate to here!

On the subject of your question:

I taught for 11 years over in the Valley.....the best years of my career thus far.  You can expect that there will be 1 or 2 jobs opening in Augusta County within the next year or so.  One new school going in and probably one HS director making a move to administration.  

Tough to really do anything serious down there due to 4x4 block schedule in relatively small schools.  The block schedule siphons off significant #s of kids as does the regional governor's school.  Those are the main reasons I bailed from Augusta County.....I could see the writing on the wall.

I'm over at The High Road as Norton if you want to continue via PM...also on FalFiles under same name.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Norton,
You got IM on falfiles

Rich
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:25:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Schools in Virginia Beach are actually very good and like bchgunner said the housing prices have stabilized in recent months. It's a buyers market now and there are some very good deals to be had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top