Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 4:19:01 PM EDT
Any memvers from the T-ville & Hickory area check-in here!  Want to put together a group shoot if the interest/membership is there.

Bill C.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd say Ajax72 & Flat Frog Flyer, as well as myself have shown interest... The more black rifles and handguns the better!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Count me in!
Hickory here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Count me in for sure, I left ya a IM before I saw this. Caffine and carbines are about my two fav things. Lets set a date and time.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm close......Iredell county......can I come play?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
FFF - Itried to IM you, but you have that disabled... I'm good for the BR part any day but Friday, after 5pm... If we're going to shoot as well, Sunday is my best day, after 11:00.  Looks like there are a few more locals than we thought!  Excellent!  Let's start working on the date!  The range I have access to is small, but those who have checked in should be able to come out and play with no problem!  BYOT (bring your own targets!)

Bill C.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm out of town until sunday, but I am interested.  It would be a good opportunity to make connections around here.

I will continue to monitor this thread for info.  Sgt., let me know how I can help.

ETA:  Don't forget that there is a gun show coming up on September 24-25 in Hickory, too.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
It would be pretty cool to have a board mod out there!  I'll post dates, times, and directions as this materializes!  This will help prove to my wife that I'm not the only gun nut around here!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#10]
tentatively looking at Sunday August 28th 1100 at BR... BYO Targets & stands, there is only one old beat-up picnic table! water, etc... ammo is open except for tracers...(weather will dictate)... What do you all think???

Bill
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I once heard that shoting is nothing but golf with noise!  Good luck Threefiftynone!!  Try to keep Sunday the 28th open! more  details to follow!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#12]
don't you worry about ol' threefifty when it comes to golf. The more beer that is in his system the better he plays with himself.

But don't any of you think for a second that he is going to kick some ass on the course in the morning. I'm going to take that A55HAT to the cleaners .

As far as the shoot. I'm up for it, but I wouldn't be able to make it until later in the day. I got to work that weekend. Where is "BR"?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Bethlehem Restaurant is on the right hand side of HWY 127 if your heading North, coming from Hickory, just over the bridge.  If everyone who is coming will email me at [email protected] I will put together a map and stuff for the outing.  Please include a little background info as well, ie; real name, age (no need to be exact!), profession, etc... kind of like to know who I'm going to shoot with!  Keep it in email, no need to blow your cover on the board!  also helps to know who your looking for in a restaurant!!!  Thanks!  (if you want to be included in a local mailing list I'll make from this, just those involved with this shoot, let me know that as well.  No feelings hurt if you prefer not to!  It will be used to announce future shoots only.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having some fun on the range!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a Hickory boy . I allways look for a reason to shoot. Send me some info. I do a lot of  my shooting in Hiddenite. Any  members of the CMP group in Morrington here?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not too far from Hickory (Asheville), I'd definately be up for a shoot, But I'm going to be out of town next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm a little south of you, in Cleveland County. I could make next Sunday. Sent you an email to the address in your post.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Gaston County here, Might be off some weekend some time.

I wasnt even supposed to be here today.  OT OT OT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
If everyone who has checked in saying they would like to come out can confirm, I think in the name of safety and order I will cut off the sign-ups  here.  If you are just finding this post, check-in anyway and I'll go with a first come, first serve, on cancellations and on invites to future shoots at this location.  So, please let me know if you have to cancel!

Those who accepted the invite here, please confirm via email, if you haven't already. thanks!

I'd say we have this part of the State covered if the SHTF!  

Bill
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know the dates of the next show in Hickory?  Supposed to be September???  Thanks!

Bill
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Anyone know the dates of the next show in Hickory?  Supposed to be September???  Thanks!

Bill

Yup,  Sept 24 & 25 Don't forget your free $1 off coupon at $1 Off For hickory Gun Show

FFF
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Can we bring any weapon or just ARS. I would love to shoot my new 1903A3, if it gets here from the CMP in time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
The 03 will work, may bring my Garand...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm not too far from Hickory (Asheville), I'd definately be up for a shoot, But I'm going to be out of town next weekend.

Grew up in Weaverville, and know Asheville pretty well.  It has changed, but it is a great town.  Where abouts in Asheville?  (General community will do so as to "protect the innocent").
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#24]
We gathered, we greeted, we gabbed, and we shot our black (& green!) guns until the sun took it's toll!  Great to meet you guys!  We'll definately do this again!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll post the pic's asap... anyone know where I can get video hosted???
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks again Bill for hosting. Was a great time! Best I can figure magazines should be reloaded in air conditioning. Great group of folks that showed up and some fine iron too. Looking forward to seeing the pics. As for the video, I'm not sure about anyplace to host it at, maybe someone else will. Thanks to the rest of you guys that showed up too and for the one with the gal pal that had other ideas, well ya missed a good shoot.

FFF
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks again Bill for arranging today's meet and shoot. It was great time and it was great to meet everyone. I look forward to getting together again. Hope everyone had a safe trip home.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, Barry...

I mean Dan...

I mean Bar...  

Guys, it was a great time.  I owe Triple F a new target stand, , I have a massive sunburn on the back of my neck, supper tasted something like gunpowder, and I'm praying that some of the greenery I chopped down was NOT poison oak.

Thank you Sgt. for the organization and facilities.  I swear that I am not as helpless and ignorant as I appeared to be today.  Next time (if I can come again ) I will be more prepared.

Thanks again.  ...and a good time was had by all.

ETA:  Guys, remember that the gun show is coming to town in less than a month.  Lets keep options open to meet each other in air conditioned comfort.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Barry,

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with the rifle???
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for asking. Not 100% at this time. Got up early today stripped it down and clean it real good. I paid real close attention to the lower receiver and fire controls. It may have been some crude down in the trigger area. The bolt checks out A-okay on complete tear down. It dry cycled just fine in the basement.  I'm headed home now to run a few live rounds through to see if that did the trick. I thought I would stop by the local gunshop and ask the owner what he thinks. He is a AR guy too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
let me know when you get it figured out... It has had me pretty curious... Seen many an AR fail, not that way though...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Barry what happened to your rifle? I'm some what good at troubleshooting AR problems.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:06:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I ran 120 rounds through on Monday night without a problem. Tuesday I took the AR over to the local shop. The owner checked it out. The problem on Sunday was that it would not cock from manual operation of the bolt or from a new round being chambered after firing. The gun store guy says I may have had a piece of brass or other crude down in the trigger mech. He says that happens sometimes and it will keep the hammer from fully cocking. Also, I had large amount of carbon build up inside the inner bolt. He thought that may add to the problem. He deburred the inside of the bolt with one of those Bushmaster tools and removed a large chunk of carbon. At any rate, the AR is fine now. I usually brush the inside of the bolt with an old chamber brush, but the buildup was too much for just the brush. I have ordered a deburring tool for my kit. I have shot a lot of Wolf and S&B ammo in the past. This may have caused the build up too. Those brands make a lot of crude. So, the long and short, in the future is to keep the trigger group cleaner and debur the carbon out of the bolt more often. If someone knows of something else to look for, let me know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad to hear the goon news Barry, I just have to believe that it was the bolt crud causing the problem.  Now with the weather taking a turn toward cooler, maybe there will be another meet.

FFF
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Glad to hear the goon news Barry, I just have to believe that it was the bolt crud causing the problem.  Now with the weather taking a turn toward cooler, maybe there will be another meet.

FFF

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
let me check my calendar..... i'll post a date soon!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hr

+1

Yes, I think it was the bolt crud too. I hope we can get together soon too. Keep us posted Bill.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I would be willing to bet it was a blown primer under your FCG.  It may be carbon buildup but I have several thousand rounds through my OLY and I have never cleaned the carbon out of my Carrer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone else going to the show tomorrow  Will discuss our next gathering there
I can't make breakfast before it as we are playing on the road tonight, so I won't get home till zero dark thirty!  Will look for everyone there though... look for the guy who looks like he hasn't slept in a month of Sundays that'll be me!!!  Hope to see ya all there!

Bill

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I wouldnt mind attending some of these shoots, I'm from Stony Point. Only problem is my work schedule right now is wack. If you've got an email list, please put me on it ([email protected]) for later shoots.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top