Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2005 5:45:13 PM EDT
I want to put about five (5) pounds of it under my shoot'n car, then walk back to the hondred yard line and shoot the Tanerite. What can I expect? If it does what I think, which is lift the car staight up about 40', I'll do a mag dump on the car while it's in mid air! All on film! I know you guys use it, and it's made local, that's why I ask here and not on another forum. Has anyone done this? I got an eye on a new shoot'n car tonight, a sweet four door, looks kinda like a cop car, I think I'll paint it up like one, then make a little movie, I just want to make sure I get the right effect the first time. If it works we could do it at the next ARFCOM shoot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Tanerite and Metal = bad idea
unless you have full bombsquad gear
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tanerite and Metal = bad idea
unless you have full bombsquad gear

If I'm far enough away?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to start out with something smaller like a garbage can. Then work your way up to the car. Here's a movie I found on the web. They launch a manhole cover.

Gong

Bang

ETA  Looks like I may have two cases of Tannerite coming. For some reason he shipped two. Yes he charged me for two.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Last year we did an empty propane tank.  We were a good distance away and a chunk about 5 inches square came back at us and flew about 5 feet over our heads and hit a truck parked right behind us.  Don't get me wrong it would be cool I'm just saying watch out for flying metal.  When you think you are far enough away take one more step back.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I want to put about five (5) pounds of it under my shoot'n car, then walk back to the hondred yard line and shoot the Tanerite. What can I expect? If it does what I think, which is lift the car staight up about 40', I'll do a mag dump on the car while it's in mid air! All on film! I know you guys use it, and it's made local, that's why I ask here and not on another forum. Has anyone done this? I got an eye on a new shoot'n car tonight, a sweet four door, looks kinda like a cop car, I think I'll paint it up like one, then make a little movie, I just want to make sure I get the right effect the first time. If it works we could do it at the next ARFCOM shoot.

I understand that it's an honest question, but there are several really stupid things about this idea.
1. 5lbs of Tannerite under a heavy metal object whos integrity is already compromised. (can you say shrapnel)
2. The car will not fly 40' in the air, you overestimate the power ove Tannerite in a non-confined space.
3. Doing a "mag dump" with a rifle while aiming at anything that's airborne is pretty irresponsible. (Know your target and what's beyond)

On the other hand, if you do it anyways, post the vid so we can laugh at you like we did with the dryer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:40:01 AM EDT
[#7]
First off 5lbs of tannerite will probably run about $100.   Next you'll blow the crap out of the car and chunks will fly, seek cover.   If shooting that much tannerite with metallic objects around get a good 200+ yds downrange.    It'll be a hell of a boom, that's for sure.   Although a fun idea it's probably not a good one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We had a half gallon in a milk jug stuffed in this minivan.  There wasn't much left of the minivan's front.  For the record, this was at a machinegun shoot in Camden, TN.  The van was (I'm guessing) at least 125 yards away from the firing line.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=36627

Pretty cool! But how did you shoot it if it was inside the van? Did you just shoot'er up till you hit the Tannerite? I put a tequella bottle full of black powder under a feed troff when I was a kid, the thing blew staight up and looked like a flying saucer, very cool, that's where I got the idea for doing a car.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top