Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2020 9:09:25 PM EDT
Please post below if you plan to attend.

-----------------------------------------

Operations Order (OPORD) of 020923OCT20:

SITUATION:
--Interest among FL Arfcommers in American Pioneer Corps and Florida branches of the organization continues to grow.
--Weather in Largo, FL in late October historically is sunny with an overnight low of 68oF and daytime high of 82oF.
--The Pinellas Trail is a flat asphalt-paved biking/hiking/running trail approximately 15-20 feet wide with a 10-foot wide grassy shoulder.  Runners/hikers stay to the right-hand side.  There may be one or two bridges with 20o inclined ramps to cross above four/six-lane roads.  There will be several crosswalks where we cross two-lane roads.
--The path around the lake at the park is gravel in some portions and paved in others.

MISSION: Florida Battle Buddies conducts a 6-mile hike on the Pinellas Trail and around the lake at John S. Taylor Park (1100 8th Avenue SW, Largo, FL 33770) on October 24, 2020, at 9:00am.

EXECUTION:  
INTENT: The intent is to meet fellow Arfcommers, engage in physical fitness training through hiking, meet the hiking requirement for Provisional rating, and optionally complete a portion of the hiking requirement for 3rd Class rating.
CONCEPT OF THE OPERATION: Entrance to the park is at the north end of the park at the address above.  Assembly Area is the 2nd of the two parking lots on the left at that entrance, just past the large climbing rock on the playground.  Arrive at the parking lot not later than 9:00am so we can get rucksacks weighed, safety brief completed, and step off not later than 9:20am.  
--NOTE: Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!
--We will weigh rucksacks and record screen names, give a quick safety brief, then step off NLT 9:20pm.
--We will hike 1.5 miles to the South and 1.5 miles back to Assembly Area at an easy pace, then do a quick stop to allow people to adjust their gear, add/remove weight, get water, etc., then proceed around the lake at the park for an additional 3 miles, return to Assembly Area, and conduct a final AAR.
COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS:   I will provide a scale to weigh participants' rucksacks.  I will record participants’ names, screen names, and completion of the requirements.  
--Water and LBE/PC worn on body do not count towards rucksack weight.
--If you aren’t currently conditioned towards hiking/ruck-marching, go easy and do NOT overdo it with the weight.
--Rucksacks are NOT required! If you are physically unable to carry a rucksack, or to hike, but want to meet and network with your fellow Arfcommers, SHOW UP ANYWAY!

SERVICE & SUPPORT:
--Open carry of firearms is illegal in Florida except under limited circumstances that do not apply to this hike, so we shall not hike with rifles or visible firearms.  
--Wear non-cotton socks and broken-in footgear.  This is NOT the time to break in new shoes/boots!
--Bring water that is easily accessible on the hike without having to stop, drop your rucksack, and paw through it.  Sodas just make you thirstier, so I recommend leaving them at home.  NOTE: Water does not count towards the 35/45lbs. rucksack weight.
--Bring an individual first aid kid (and blister-control items if you haven’t conditioned your feet).
--Wear sunglasses and cap with brim.  Check the weather that morning and dress accordingly.  Your body will generate heat while hiking, so don’t overdress; we don’t want any heat casualties.
--Bring snacks.
--Some of us have never hiked with significant weight before, some of us haven’t ruck-marched since 15 years and/or 50 lbs. ago.  DO NOT OVERDO IT! Tips on hiking available at Tips on hiking available at http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/2008/11/weapons-platform-major-xxxs-ruck.html.
--The Assembly Area has restrooms and water fountain.

COMMAND & SIGNAL
--Post questions in this thread or IM me through the site.
--If you want to help out in any capacity or have special skills (medic, etc.) let me know either via IM or in this thread.  
--For curious onlookers who ask who we are or what our purpose is, answer them honestly that we are a hiking club.
--I’m open to any suggestions.  All of us together are smarter than one of me!
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to attend but unfortunately I'm not able to hike (can barely walk) and I have been advised not to drive. I can still push a pencil though.  

So.. if anyone from Manatee county and south that may be going I'd love to hitch a ride, I'll spring for the fuel and lunch.
View Quote

You are welcome to ride with me. I am in Bradenton and IIRC so are you.

Spartacus, anyway we can find out how far along in the qualification thing we are?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would like to attend but unfortunately I'm not able to hike (can barely walk) and I have been advised not to drive. I can still push a pencil though.  

So.. if anyone from Manatee county and south that may be going I'd love to hitch a ride, I'll spring for the fuel and lunch.
View Quote

Damn, sorry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Won't be able to make this one. Hopefully next time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

We(me and ma wife) will be in attendance.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 2:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Tentatively in!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That's beyond my range ATM.  Maybe next one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to try and make this one. Hoping to be back in town by then.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/l6I8mJU__1_-92.gif

We(me and ma wife) will be in attendance.
View Quote

That's hilarious!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Count me in!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm out.

They've rescheduled my surgery from the 16th to the 23rd with a two or three day stay in the hospital afterwards.  
View Quote

Ugh. Sorry to hear, hang in there and heal up!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Osprey, sorry to hear that. Hope you can make it next time. I will still be going and if anyone in the Sarasota/Bradenton area needs a ride let me know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm out.

They've rescheduled my surgery from the 16th to the 23rd with a two or three day stay in the hospital afterwards.  
View Quote

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
...nevermind, should be able to make it although I may go easy on the ruck just to get back into things. Hopefully I'll see y'all there!
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#18]
bump
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Looking forward to a fun day with everyone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looking forward to a fun day with everyone.
View Quote

I'll be there in Arfcom hat and Hawaiian shirt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#21]
final bump for tomorrow!
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Be there or be square.

For a little motivation.

USMC Recruit Training - We Hump Till We Die
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Good hike, good to see everyone again and meet some new folks as well!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#24]
great time, great weather, good to see familiar faces and new.  Even spartacus junior rolled out of bed and joined us for the entire 6 miles -- first with 25lbs. ruck, then a 30lbs. weight vest.  Big thanks to everyone who appeared -- we had one ARfcommer drive an hour away from Hernando County to join us!

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a fun time! Would recommend to anyone! Great group!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Good hike, I am not as sore as I thought I would be today .   I need to get back to

Weather was nice, had a breeze a good bit of the time.

Was a fair turnout, would be nice to see it more like the first hike. So all you's Bay Area people, the weather is getting to the nice time of the year so get off ya butts.  

Thanks to Spartacus for spearheading the hike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top