Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/2/2007 3:17:32 PM EST
Going on a little road trip with three of my buddies to the races this weekend. We have a nice camper and a reserved space at the track. What have I got myself into?

They will let Texans in, won't they?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:05:47 PM EST
You'll love it. Some of the best facilities in the South:

Hot tubs:

Friendliest people you'll ever meet:

Diehard racing fans:

And smokin hot women:

Come on down!

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:47:37 PM EST
Looks like you've been poking around the THF to me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:03:56 AM EST
We, the locals, will be will be in our storm shelters waiting for it to end.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:05:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:37:48 AM EST
I'm not going anywhere near that place! Last time I was there was all I could take and that was on a friday.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:23:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By lostwildcat:
I'll be working on Beer-can-alley, down by the start finish line. Look for Jefferson county deputies....

if you make an ARFCOM sign i will find you!!!

Full riot gear I hope.

Our seats are somewhere past the start finish line, up high I think. If you stumble across a guy wearing a blue and black Verizon hat and a red Coors t-shirt that will be me.

This would be a good place for a hat with the ARFCOM bolt face on it, wouldn't it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:16:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:30:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hobbit:

at least nobody is camped in my front pasture (without permission) this year....I need to go to the grocery today, I think I will head up to Birmingham....
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:57:03 AM EST
I had to Ebay my season tix this year.
The Missus could not get time off this time.
We drive 2000 miles (one way) to get there. You will love it.
Lots of 2 day drunks walking around for your entertainment
Dega' is NASCAR's Mardi Gra as far as the party scene goes.
I will have watch at home this year
Bama' kicks ass!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:52:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By billbotts:

at least nobody is camped in my front pasture (without permission) this year....I need to go to the grocery today, I think I will head up to Birmingham....

Let me guess:

Tannerite?

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:29:12 PM EST
Jeff Gordon won, and the beer can rain began
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:29:38 PM EST

Not the best race I've ever seen but it is alway sfun to go to Dega...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:13:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/9/2007 12:28:08 PM EST by Gopher]

Originally Posted By cyclone:
Jeff Gordon won, and the beer can rain began

Funny not one thing was thrown were we sat, just past the start/finish line.

We rolled back home about 8pm last night. It was a fun weekend. Lots of very friendly people. We sat with some folks from Louisiana and Kentucky Saturday night and watched the LSU/Florida game. Let us watch the game and gave us food and drink. Good times.

Other than one ahole who ran his generator all night our camping area was very tame. Not so across the highway to the north of us. What a scene. We were very impressed with the LEO presence the whole weekend. They were kickin ass and taking names. Much more "hands on" than what I have seen at the Texas race. Refreshing.

The museum was very interesting. We saw two very entertaining races. The truck race was a bit of a snoozer but had a good finish. The Cup race was fun too. We were listening to the drivers on the scanner and MRN radio. The radio guys said during a commercial just after Jr blew up that the stands were bleeding red. I looked around and about 1/4 of the crowd was heading for the exits. We were amused by the fact they were selling cigarettes in the concession stands. Haven't seen that anywhere in Texas in years. Our only minor gripe was where we were sitting. We were up high in the Talladega Towers and couldn't see the cars when they were right before us because of the wall. Sight lines to the tri-oval were bad because of the curve of the stands. One other thing we thought was funny was they ran us out of the stands about 15 minutes after the race. We were sitting there waiting for the crowd to thin out and a deputy sheriff started running us out. He said "I got your exit right here, lets go!" We did hear they lock the track down two hours after the race.

All in all a great weekend. Already talking about doing it again next year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:41:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By billbotts:

Let me guess:

Tannerite?

-Hobbit

nonsense, the campers quit asking as soon as I figured out all I had to do was let the fire ants alone to build their 100 or so colony mounds in that front pasture....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:50:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 11:51:52 AM EST by Bama_Patriot]
The idiot beside us in the campground tried running his generator all night. I turned it off for him both nights we were there. I was about ready to use the 230 gr off switch. Other than that we had a good time camping. Next time we need to have a cookout there.
Top Top