Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 8:43:21 PM EDT
We're going to see a concert, but we'll be there for about 3 days.

Any recommendations on good places to eat near the St. Louis Zoo?

Or if there are any cute/awesome/romantic places to eat somewhere else in town, hit me!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out The Melting Pot.

There are two locations.  It's fondue so its fun for couples.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Charlie Gittos on the Hill for excellent Italian.  Also near the zoo is Scape....ask for a booth, definitely romantic, get the beef short rib, it is mouth watering.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Charlie Gittos on the Hill for excellent Italian.  Also near the zoo is Scape....ask for a booth, definitely romantic, get the beef short rib, it is mouth watering.

hahahaha I happened to have the reviews open for that as soon as you posted this.  She loves Italian, this place is definitely somewhere we're going.  Checking into the Scape...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Check out The Melting Pot.

There are two locations.  It's fondue so its fun for couples.

Ah, I LOVE those places.  Last time I tried to make Fondue for her it was a disaster.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Charlie Gittos is amazing. If you crave BBQ Pappys Smokehouse is the best in STL
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Charlie Gittos is amazing. If you crave BBQ Pappys Smokehouse is the best in STL

Actually Bogart's in Soulard is the top rated BBQ restaurant in the country, according to Zagat. They were rated a 29/30. It is owned by someone who use to work at Pappy's. Their ribs are incredible.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:29:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Tony's if you want to go all out on dinner.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually Bogart's in Soulard is the top rated BBQ restaurant in the country, according to Zagat. They were rated a 29/30. It is owned by someone who use to work at Pappy's. Their ribs are incredible.

I somehow don't see how anything could top Pappys. Good stuff.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:00:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I somehow don't see how anything could top Pappys. Good stuff.

I think the ribs do.

Bogart's does a deviled egg potato salad that is great, but I think over-all Pappy's sides are a little better. To me the smoked brisket is about the same. I have not tried the pulled pork at Bogart's yet. It is worth the little extra drive to soulard, but I would wait until it warms up or get it to go at Bogart's. It is a small place and effected by the cold.

The owner of Bogart's worked at Super Smokers before it exapnded and went down hill, and was the head chef at Pappy's, so a lot of things are similiar. The owners are friends and if you look on the wall at Pappy's, you will see articles and reviews on Bogart's. Bogart's ribs, just before thy are done they cover them with apricot jelly, and then hit it with a torch. It gives them a slightly sweet flavor, but not over-powering, along with the traditional BBQ spices, and smoke flavor

Zagat is one of the more respected and honest ratings out there. It is very difficult to get such a high score from them, and is not something that can be bought.  I'm not saying anything "bad" about Pappy's, just that I think Bogart's does a few things better. I am actaully going to Pappy's for dinner tonight.  

Sydney Street Cafe is another one to try, but just so you know upfront, it is on the expensive side. Not sure of you could even get in on short notice?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Is Carl's deli considered romantic?
I work across the street and have to fight myself to not spend my paycheck there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Crown Candy
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Church's Chicken
3420 North Kingshighway

Go armed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:24:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Charlie Gitto's Downtown was pretty good, but fettuccine alfredo is largely the same at most restaurants, Penne bellini was pretty good though. What's a standout dish of theirs?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Hard to go wrong for dinner at Cunetto's.  Ragazzi's for beer and pizza.
Both on the Hill, not far from the zoo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Charlie Gito's, only on The Hill.  Don't got to any other.

Ragazzi... Um, yuck.

Bartolino's on the Hill is another good one, but I've found their South County location to be equal in it's cooking.

For romantic sight seeing, bring her over to East St. Louis.  There's nothing like seeing the arch from the IL side.  Just remember, only the criminals have guns over here.

The St. Louis Zoo and Science Center is always a good time if you can stand the screaming kids.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Zia's on The Hill. Not nearly as swanky as some of the above but great Italian at reasonable prices.

What concert?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I suggest the scotch eggs at the Scottish Arms downtown or the Dubliner on Washington Ave.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Charlie Gito's, only on The Hill.  Don't got to any other.
Ragazzi... Um, yuck.

Correct on both counts.  Only go to Charlie Gitto's on the Hill.  Expensive but great food, service and atmosphere.  Haven't been to Cunneto's in years because I view it as a tourist trap with long lines and highly average Italian food.
The restaurant I mentioned earlier called Scape is located in an area called the Central West End, very close to Forest Park where the Zoo is located. Your girlfriend might enjoy the many shops, coffee houses, ice cream parlors, etc. in this area along Euclid Avenue.  There is another nice restaurant nearby on Euclid called Herbies...http://www.herbies.com/...good food, nice but relaxed atmosphere especially in the "Bistro".  Also, if you like to try local beers, St. Louis has some good ones.  Look for Schlafly products as well as Urban Chestnut and O'Fallon.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zia's on The Hill.

Zia's, in my personal opinion, has the best salad on The Hill, and I REALLY like Bartolino's salad too.  However, to me, Zia's food always tastes like it's been pre-prepared and sat in a warming oven all day.  Their bread also sucks compared to Gitos or Barts.  But if I want a salad and some ravioli, I go to Zias.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The Hill is great.
I like Momma Compesee's
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Pappy's and Bogart's are closed until Jan 2.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#23]
You guys are awesome.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#24]
J
Quoted:
I work across the street and have to fight myself to not spend my paycheck there.

Are you talking about the Carl's deli on Clayton road.  If so the owner is a grade A asshole.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Cunetto's on the Hill.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
J
Quoted:

Are you talking about the Carl's deli on Clayton road.  If so the owner is a grade A asshole.

I like my own kind?
He is usually nice to me, but a bit abrasive. He makes great sammitches though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Second the Hill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top