Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 7:15:20 PM EDT
looks likes straight forward removal.    but getting tail shaft out , the tranny looks like it has to come rearward.  Damn crossmember in the way.  We have to unbolt  under there plus the front.

Anyone done it ?    Pics tommato .   I hope to tell ya yall how to do it.  

Wow , gotta get nose outta reading manuals n dtart reading the lock.

Good luck all.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
looks likes straight forward removal.    but getting tail shaft out , the tranny looks like it has to come rearward.  Damn crossmember in the way.  We have to unbolt  under there plus the front.

Anyone done it ?    Pics tommato .   I hope to tell ya yall how to do it.  

Wow , gotta get nose outta reading manuals n dtart reading the lock.

Good luck all.

I had a 75 Vette. You are going to have to get the tailshaft lifted up off the crossmember with a floor jack. First remove driveshaft, (Of course make sure to disassemble the counsel and out all the little nuts and bolts in a baggie). Disconnect clutch linkage, remove trans mount from crossmember and remove crossmember. You will never get the trans out with the crossmemeber in the car. You will also have to disconnect the exhaust and the speedo cable.

Good luck. Get ready to do a lot of screaming and swearing.

I will never own another fucking Vette again. I have had may bitchin musclke cars in my day, the Vette was the biggest puke box of all.

Just wait until you thrash the rear hubs, it is a bitch of a job and expensive to replace them. Gotta love GM mid 70's independent rear suspension.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Patriot, thats what we thought about the crossmember.

The passenger rear , tire is pretty firm, as in not much play , the driver side is a whole lot sloppier... kind of like my spelling.

That job is for another day.   We start on the tranny today.   Thanks for the input.  We sprayed down the bolts we think need to come out  last night

My buddy that bought the car,  found out that the lube in it was a nice shade of silver, slimy goop.   My other buddy found a Super T10 Borg Warner at the local bone yard , but the car owner wants to original tranny rebuilt.

I think I may need to pick your brain about this job later. We will start around nine or ten A.M..

After looking at it last night , we figured about a 4-5 hour job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Happy to answer a smany questions as I can my friend. Good luck!! It's a fairly straight forward job.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Woot,    !hour and a half.  out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top