Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 6/11/2018 12:48:32 PM EDT
Title pretty much sums it up. The family and me are taking a vacation to California in July. We will be in a 2017 Toyota Sienna. I have a lockable box to store the 638 in, unloaded. If I keep the ammo in the glove compartment will I be in compliance? Also, what about pocket knives? Is there prohibition against carrying a pocket knife. Our destination is Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, a brief sprint (speed limits observed) through San Francisco, and then on to Oregon. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:01:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2018 3:13:43 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
OP, and others, here's something to think about when asking for help.

What is a S&W 638? Are we supposed to research this in order to answer your legal questions?

Regarding the knife, which knife. Blade length and type could be important.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
Keep your snubbie in the lock box unloaded with ammo in the same lock box. Knife should be fine if it's what we all carry. (w/pocket clip)
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:37:55 PM EDT
If you get into a it's me or the bear situation in the Parks, use the gun on yourself. That will make everything a lot easier on everybody and everything concerned. Actually that goes for anything with 4 legs that doesn't belong to somebody.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:31:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:03:02 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
OP, and others, here's something to think about when asking for help.

What is a S&W 638? Are we supposed to research this in order to answer your legal questions?

Regarding the knife, which knife. Blade length and type could be important.
View Quote
Sorry. The S&W 638 is a five shot, snub nose 38. When y’all say don’t carry in the park does that mean locked in the box is not good either?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:17:55 AM EDT
No, just no open carry, no concealed. Theoretically you could carry at a temporary residence (campsite, etc.) but that's not likely to go smoothly if seen and there is no particular pressing reason to do so. It can be kept in it's container used for transport in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2018 12:20:52 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
If it were me, I'd store the ammo in the lock box with the firearm. Just be sure the firearm is unloaded.

This is from the National Park Service's web site.

"Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, visit the California Attorney General's website.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Discharging a firearm for any reason is illegal."

It's rare but not unheard of that bears break into automobile passenger compartments to get at what they perceive to be food stored inside. I would store my firearms somewhere other than where there is food or the residual smell of food.

NPS requires food be stored in bear-proof storage containers. The firearm should be stored somewhere else.

Keep the children away from the cute, furry little animals (ground squirrels, chipmunks, marmots,...) They carry plague, rabies, Hanta virus, and so many other diseases it isn't funny. Yes, they will approach looking for handouts.
Top Top