Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 12:48:32 PM EDT
Title pretty much sums it up. The family and me are taking a vacation to California in July. We will be in a 2017 Toyota Sienna. I have a lockable box to store the 638 in, unloaded. If I keep the ammo in the glove compartment will I be in compliance? Also, what about pocket knives? Is there prohibition against carrying a pocket knife. Our destination is Yosemite NP, Sequoia NP, a brief sprint (speed limits observed) through San Francisco, and then on to Oregon. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 1:01:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/11/2018 3:13:43 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
OP, and others, here's something to think about when asking for help.

What is a S&W 638? Are we supposed to research this in order to answer your legal questions?

Regarding the knife, which knife. Blade length and type could be important.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:30:07 PM EDT
Keep your snubbie in the lock box unloaded with ammo in the same lock box. Knife should be fine if it's what we all carry. (w/pocket clip)
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:37:55 PM EDT
If you get into a it's me or the bear situation in the Parks, use the gun on yourself. That will make everything a lot easier on everybody and everything concerned. Actually that goes for anything with 4 legs that doesn't belong to somebody.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:31:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:03:02 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
OP, and others, here's something to think about when asking for help.

What is a S&W 638? Are we supposed to research this in order to answer your legal questions?

Regarding the knife, which knife. Blade length and type could be important.
View Quote
Sorry. The S&W 638 is a five shot, snub nose 38. When y’all say don’t carry in the park does that mean locked in the box is not good either?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:17:55 AM EDT
No, just no open carry, no concealed. Theoretically you could carry at a temporary residence (campsite, etc.) but that's not likely to go smoothly if seen and there is no particular pressing reason to do so. It can be kept in it's container used for transport in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/13/2018 12:20:52 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
If it were me, I'd store the ammo in the lock box with the firearm. Just be sure the firearm is unloaded.

This is from the National Park Service's web site.

"Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. As a starting point, visit the California Attorney General's website.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park; those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Discharging a firearm for any reason is illegal."

It's rare but not unheard of that bears break into automobile passenger compartments to get at what they perceive to be food stored inside. I would store my firearms somewhere other than where there is food or the residual smell of food.

NPS requires food be stored in bear-proof storage containers. The firearm should be stored somewhere else.

Keep the children away from the cute, furry little animals (ground squirrels, chipmunks, marmots,...) They carry plague, rabies, Hanta virus, and so many other diseases it isn't funny. Yes, they will approach looking for handouts.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 6:57:57 AM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been a little more clear with my intentions. I never dreamed of open carrying or concealed carrying in the entire state of California. I just wanted to be legal as far as transporting my 638 in my vehicle while I was in the state. Again, thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 4:12:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I guess I should have been a little more clear with my intentions. I never dreamed of open carrying or concealed carrying in the entire state of California. I just wanted to be legal as far as transporting my 638 in my vehicle while I was in the state. Again, thanks for the advice.
View Quote
Avoid San Francisco, you'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 5:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2018 9:30:04 PM EDT by Trollslayer]
Originally Posted By a79flhrider:
Avoid San Francisco, you'll thank me later.
View Quote
I have to agree with this recommendation. It is almost certain to disappoint, and do so in a way that will overshadow anything good you might want to see. My wife and I gave up on that place 25 years ago.

A tourist was killed while walking with her Father near Fisherman's Wharf, shot by a homeless, illegal alien, using a pistol stolen from a police officer.

The Victim - A San Francisco woman was recently shot and killed in a seemingly "random shooting" while she was strolling and taking photos with her father in a tourist-heavy area of the city, according to the authorities and the victim's family. Kathryn Steinle, 31 -- a medical sales rep on her way to see her sister-in-law, who was expecting a baby -- was shot in her upper torso at Pier 14 in San Francisco on Wednesday around 6:30 p.m., police said.

The Perpetrator - A man suspected in the shooting death of a woman at a busy San Francisco tourist destination has seven felony convictions and has been deported five times, most recently in 2009, a federal agency said on Friday.

If you think they have fixed this, you are sadly mistaken. If anything has changed, it has gotten worse.

My God!, what else is needed to dissuade you from going there? Google tourist murdered in San Francisco. Just look at a few of the responses. There are so many more than just the one referenced above. You'll get the point.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:05:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

I have to agree with this recommendation. It is almost certain to disappoint, and do so in a way that will overshadow anything good you might want to see. My wife and I gave up on that place 25 years ago.

A tourist was killed while walking with her Father near Fisherman's Wharf, shot by a homeless, illegal alien, using a pistol stolen from a police officer.

The Victim - A San Francisco woman was recently shot and killed in a seemingly "random shooting" while she was strolling and taking photos with her father in a tourist-heavy area of the city, according to the authorities and the victim's family. Kathryn Steinle, 31 -- a medical sales rep on her way to see her sister-in-law, who was expecting a baby -- was shot in her upper torso at Pier 14 in San Francisco on Wednesday around 6:30 p.m., police said.

The Perpetrator - A man suspected in the shooting death of a woman at a busy San Francisco tourist destination has seven felony convictions and has been deported five times, most recently in 2009, a federal agency said on Friday.

If you think they have fixed this, you are sadly mistaken. If anything has changed, it has gotten worse.

My God!, what else is needed to dissuade you from going there? Google tourist murdered in San Francisco. Just look at a few of the responses. There are so many more than just the one referenced above. You'll get the point.
View Quote
I live less than 30 min. from SF and maybe go once or twice a year. I use to go a lot when a family member went to UOP in SF. Don't know how she survived, but she was from Vancouver so she's probably used to meth heads and homeless trashing up areas.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 10:14:30 PM EDT
San Francisco is a beautiful city and worth seeing if in the area. Yes, there are problems. Certainly some areas to avoid but with a little planning, and some possibly expensive parking, you can see the high points. Two years ago we went to the Bay area, spent most of the time in the wine country north of the bay. Traveled through SF going north and south and in for a day. Unfortunately kind of foggy the day we spent hitting SF. Golden Gate Park has a number of major museums, the Tea Garden, easy drive to the west and up the coast to get views from the highlands to the Golden Gate Bridge, visiting the bridge and Fort Point, no problems. Fisherman's Wharf is too touristy now but you can go through China Town, victorian neighborhoods, ride the cable cars, etc. Out to Treasure Island.

Traffic and parking stinks, as do some of the people. It's crowded. Visiting is not trying to live there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 11:32:31 AM EDT
We have made our trip and have returned home. We went through Death Valley, Sequoia NP, briefly into San Francisco (basically we parked and walked around the GGB), then all the way up Northern California to Crater Lake in OR. We came back through Reno and then went to the Grand Canyon. It was a fantastic trip. Cali is truly the most diverse state when it comes to natural scenery. The state is beautiful and unique in some many ways. It sucks that the libs have so fucked the place up with BS laws. I did notice that there were very few cops on the highways writing tickets. That is mostly why they exist in Texas. It did feel good to get back into AZ and start carrying again. Thanks for all of the advice!
Top Top