Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 1:22:32 PM EDT
A friend of mine swears this didnt happen. But I can remember hearing it was true.

Well, am I right or wrong?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
They were rounding them up around the areas that the sniper attacks were happening to compare for possible matches.  

As far as I know everyone got their stuff back.  Now I'm sure the state police might have made it difficult to get it back much like they always do.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They were rounding them up around the areas that the sniper attacks were happening to compare for possible matches.  

As far as I know everyone got their stuff back.  

This is correct.  Talk with the guys in Burtonsville (The Gun Rack) if you want confirmation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, this is what I thought. I dont know why I would have thought the MDSS would do otherwise.

Link Posted: 10/7/2003 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#4]
How on earth is that even legal?

I would assume that the police would need some probable cause when seizing your property and testing it as evidence.  Merely owning one of thousands of a specific type of gun in a geographic area is not probable cause. That's like a red Honda Civic being involved in a fatal hit and run and the police towing and testing every red Honda civic in a 50 mile radius

What they did was nothing more than a witch hunt and I am not sure if I could have complied.  Who am I kidding, I would have protested it as much as I could and then handed it over but I would have been pissed and probably contacted a lawyer
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How on earth is that even legal?

All they had to do is come with  another LEO and "Ask for your assistance - after all don't we all want to catch the bad guy".

You'd be surprised how many 'willingly' turned over their rifles or gun club membership lists.  They just had to insinuate that not doing what they asked was not only bad for the public - but for you as well...

Definately a 'gray' legal area - but this is MD so consitutional rights don't matter ESPECIALLY if your a gun owner.

FYI its my understanding the IWLA club in Frederick was the ONLY gun club that didn't turn over a membership roster when they were contacted.  They actually wanted to see a warrent first (Good for them!)  Its one of the reasons why I joined them).
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Forest,

Where is the range in Frederick that you speak of and can you tell me about it?

My parents live up there and it would be convenient

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell yeah, where is that range. I want to make it clear in the MD links that this range has some owners with nuggets!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The guys at the IWLA have asked me not to post it publicly for now (that is why you don't even see it listed on my site).

However, I'd be happy to take you there next tuesday night for the monthly meeting and you can check it out.

Or come over to MD-AR15.com and ask for Mongo (he's been a member there for quite a while and recruited me).
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#9]
True
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine had 2 AR-15s seized by the JBTs.  They returned them after a few days, uncleaned.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The Frederick IWL guys are good people. I got to shoot with them once. Best range monkeys in the mid Atlantic region I'll wager.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A friend of mine had 2 AR-15s seized by the JBTs.  They returned them after a few days, uncleaned.

GunLvr

Seized or did he give them to the MDSP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top