Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 3:26:20 AM EDT
SUBJECT: CIVIL USE OF TRACER AMMUNITION ON MOD RANGES

Reference:

A. JSP 403 Volume I Edition 2.

Introduction/Background

1. Civilian rifle clubs are authorised to use a number of MOD ranges.

Action Required

2. The use of tracer ammunition by civil clubs on any MOD range is not to be authorised.

3. This Range Safety Notice is to be appended to the MOD Form 904 on ranges that permit civil clubs to fire. Add the restriction to the MOD Form 904 at the next opportunity.

4. Any enquiries on the above should be directed in the first instance to TAS(RE) at the Land Warfare Centre, Warminster. Tel: 01985-222434 or 222433.

Effective Date

5.   The required action is to be taken immediately on receipt of this notice.

Disposal

6. This Range Safety Notice remains in force until the content has been incorporated into Reference A by a Change, on receipt of which it can be destroyed.

Chairman Land Ranges Working Party
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Misserable bastards

Taffy

IIRC JSP's are "Restricted" and I don't get em anymore
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#2]
JSP 403 is UNCLASSIFIED

This sheet is going to be incorporated into the Form 904 (+sign on and sign off log)
You all would need to see this sheet anyway before signing
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I stand corrected

But they are still a bunch of "kill-joys"

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#4]
The background is basically that 5.56mm Tracer is proving to be ballistically erratic if it strikes the ground before the backstop.  No Big Surprise there then

It can be so erractic that it could potentially exit the planned range danger area.
There are already restrictions on the use of 7.62mm Tracer, with regard to minimum firing distances when the Butts are occupied.

It is just another a~s~e covering exercise, since civilian clubs present too many variables!
e.g .303 or 7.92 tracer, less 'control' due to non-military course of fire etc etc

However if you use Diggle, Bangor or any non military ranges all bets are off
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think Tracer is permitted at Diggle anyway

Just leaves Bangor then

Mark
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just leaves Bangor then

Mark

Or the backyard
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just leaves Bangor then

Mark

Or the backyard

So it's a Tracer Day @ Matts Farm then

Taffy
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Warminster have apparently relaxed the tracer ban for field firing ranges. This was done last thursday week, and news should filter down to local range wardens as time goes by.

If it's not abused we should be allowed to shoot these evil tracer rounds for a while yet, just not on gallery ranges.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
NO!

The BAN is Currently for all CIVY CLUBS using all MOD ranges.

The document to which your post relates merely states that:-

The MOD are allowed to use 5.56mm Tracer again on Field Firing Areas, subject to local rules.

If range wardens are confusing the two then who are we to agrue

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This was specifically for civvy clubs.
A rep from the UKFC (50cal) club spoke to the MoD and got permission granted on thursday 18th, and was told that it will be lifted for field firing ranges presumably subject to local rules and the range wardens agreement (fire risk etc). Apparently an order will be issued to that effect but will inevitably take time to circulate. This is the info I got at the range last week.

Seeing as it's only on field ranges it'll still be out for most people/clubs who only use gallery ranges.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#11]
tracer........ schmacer.....
If we get the go ahead then fair enough but i'll not loose any sleep over it.

November will be here soon enough....

J/K
Taffy
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
tracer........ schmacer.....
If we get the go ahead then fair enough but i'll not loose any sleep over it.

November will be here soon enough....

J/K
Taffy

Yeah, you're right, there are more important things to worry about, like where the NRA name change email war/thread is going.....

Whatever happens, take the tracer with you, if the warden lets you use it, fine, if not, then bring it back home with you and wait for another day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top