Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 12:43:36 PM EDT
Was driving to work this morning down 19th in Tacoma going past that neighborhood known affectionately as "Hilltop".  I look in my rearview and I see a lightbar.  He's kinda riding close so I figured I'd change to the right lane.  Blue lights, DOH!

So I turn onto a side street (I hate guys that get pulled over and decide to block traffic).  Stop the truck, turn off the ignition, roll down my window and put my hands on the steering wheel.  I'm a bit nervous because it's been a long time since I was pulled over, and, oh yea, theres an HK in the little pocket of the driver's side door.

Officer walks up and says "good morning".  Looks at my hands and says "you can take your hands off the wheel....uh, do you have a gun?"

"Yes sir, I do"

"where is it?"

"Inside the door"

"Do you have a permit?"

"Yes sir, I do"

"Well I'm going to hold onto the pistol for now"

"Not a problem sir"

He opens the door, puts the pistol in his back pocket.  "You can calm down, no need to be nervous"

"Well, its my first time getting pulled over while carrying"

"Yea, now that I think about it, I get a little shakey when the staters pull me over"...He then asks me for my permit.  I hand it to him along with my Drivers license.

"Now the reason I pulled you over is because your tabs are expired....by 4 months"

"Oh Jeeze! Completely slipped my mind"

"Can I see your proof of insurance"

"Yes sir"  I begin rummaging around looking for my little geico slip, find one and hand it to him.

"This card is a couple of years old"

"Oh, one second sir, I'll find the newer one"  I continue to look around, and it would appear that the aliens have absconded with every copy of my insurance proof short of the ones that are 2+ years old. "Well sir, I think this is the part where you give me a ticket for failure to provide insurance"

"Well, I hadn't planned on writing you up for anything, we'll see"

He walks back to his car, meanwhile I'm doing the "stupid stupid stupid" thing to myself.  I know exactly where the reminder to re up my tabs is.  Right on my desk "where I'll remember to do it".

He comes back, hands me my info and says "I'm gonna save you about 800 bucks this morning, lemme gonna go ahead and put your pistol back."  He opens the door and carefully places it back into the door pocket. "Thanks again, for your honest about this.  I think the only thing more you could have done is to turn the dome light on.  Now go get your tabs fixed.  understand, rig like yours, expired tabs, in hilltop, lotta guys come up here lookin to buy rock.  Thanks again for the honesty"

I apologised to him because I had just remembered that I never warned him that the pistol was hot and cocked.   He looked at me with this look like "Why wouldn't you carry hot and cocked" then said, don't worry about it, I assumed so, and did a finger check of the chamber when I was back in the squad car.

"Yes sir.  Just didn't feel like getting ventilated this early in the morning"

He chuckled, said "Have a good day", and walked back to his car.  I do a 3 point turn to get back onto the main road, he waves and I go to work.

Overall, a good experience with the TPD.  Was courteous and respectful.  I got to go to work with a good story and no ticket.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Now the question is....which one of you was he?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
So, did you score any rock?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Shhhhh! They're reading this!

ETA: and contrary to what I read on this board:
My dog was not tazed
I was not put in the front leaning rest
I was not searched
I didn't even have to get out of the vehicle
I think he was professional enough to handle a glock fohtay
and nobody stole my bible
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time I got pulled over I had the same problem, every friggin' insurance card for the last 5 years except the new one. When I said I couldn't find the new one he said, "Keep looking  people with more than one always find a new one eventually." First time I ever handed a cop anything while laughing.

Now get your tabs taken care!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Last time I got pulled over by a state patrol female cop she told me to...

Please slow down, then asked what kind of a gun I carried.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
And I thought this post was about you and the pink dog.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I just downloaded my cards--thanks  for the reminder!!  I have been almost a month without them.

Since switching to electronic documents, I have this problem every year or so.

If you need your tabs in a hurry, you can order then online for pickup at a license place the next day---and you can just go to the head of the line for them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Last time I got pulled over by a state patrol female cop ......

..... I got a f'ing ticket for 63 in a 60.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my wife just got a ticket on post for doing 22 in a 20 (in a school zone).  it was about 100 feet before entering a school zone, we're contesting it.  
it's pitiful how some law enforcement officers act in the uniform, the rest have to work extra hard to keep their reputation above water.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

my wife just got a ticket on post for doing 22 in a 20 (in a school zone).  it was about 100 feet before entering a school zone, we're contesting it.  
it's pitiful how some law enforcement officers act in the uniform, the rest have to work extra hard to keep their reputation above water.

That one I got was right at the Madigan Gate there at post. She hit the blue lights as I crossed the bridge and stopped me just before the gate. Was the only ticket I ever had in 18 years of driving. The Bitch.. lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.  And, I thought I had a good day!
Good for you!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow.  And, I thought I had a good day!
Good for you!

hehe
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhhh! They're reading this!

ETA: and contrary to what I read on this board:
My dog was not tazed
I was not put in the front leaning rest
I was not searched
I didn't even have to get out of the vehicle
I think he was professional enough to handle a glock fohtay
and nobody stole my bible

Thank God there wasn't a tragic boating accident either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top