Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 8:12:28 AM EDT
I was at Swan Creek Range yesterday morning for about 2 hours. There were about 10 shooters there and it was a great morning, warm and a nice breeze. I had my M14E2, M-16, a suppressed .22LR, and my FA Glock. I eventually took the Glock down to the 25 yard range to see how I could hit in full auto. Using trigger control and burst fire I could get a very good grouping, in my opinion anyway. After firing 33 rounds from the first mag hits were about 4-5 inches wide and about 10 inches tall and to the right in a column. This thing is a handfull to control but is a lot of fun to shoot.

While there I noticed a father and two young sons, boys were about 8 and 12. They were shooting .22 rifles and having a great time, and they were very safe in their handling of the guns. I asked the father if he minded if the boys shot my suppressed .22, he says "not at all". These boys came over, and I gave them instructions on how to load and fire my gun. The two of them had a great time shooting this gun and thanked me very much for the chance to shoot it (Respectful children are great). The Father thanked me as well and tells me he has some guns that need repair and he would like to have a suppressed gun. He is coming by next week for a look see and to find the gun he likes, life is good!!!!

Tony G
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you had a fun filled day!  I like to see fathers out there with their young ones being taught good, safe, shooting habits.  That means our addiction, I mean hobby, will continue on.

My grandson is already being taught how guns should be handled and he's only 2 1/2!

Rick  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Rick, I have one grandson and he is now 6. When he was 31/2 I took him up in a military helicopter and he had a ball. On the same day I had him shooting machine guns as well. All of that he remembers, and wants to shoot machine guns every time he visits me here in the south. His grandparents on his mothers side are from the UK and are very anti gun!! I had him shooting my STen and took a photo of him. I sent this photo to his grandparents and told them it was in their honor that I had him shoot the STen!!!!! They almost shit themselves, my daughter in law found it "very offensive" that I would have my grandson doing such a "BAD" thing. All I can say is "fuckem, feedem fish heads". My grandson is coming here for 2 weeks in late July and he is going to learn a lot while he is here. This poor kid has never been fishing and when I suggested we go fishing he replied, "Granddaddy, what is fishing?". When he returns to Ohio he will know a lot more than fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony G
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys, i know where you're coming from.  All of my grandson's family is from the South and profirearms.  Can't wait till he's three [11 months to go, promised his Mom] and i can instruct him in proper/safety methods and the fun {joy} of shooting. The kid is sharp as a tack and listens well, hmmmmmmm not to well to some BUT what the hey we don't that problem we're big buds.  He comes in and takes my keys and says his version of truck and drive and away we go.  His flirting will be the death of me, but he has good tastes and likes older women.  da "short" one out
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Durn my math... 17 months.... oh well, more time to work on his collection
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My Grandson & family are just back home from a few days in Gulf Shores.  While there, he found a gun he had to have "Just like Pa Pa's":)  Made me quite proud to call him mine.  I have a Granddaughter in KY and she'll be taught gun safety and shooting skills by her father (chip off the old block that he is)  He still remembers the old Remington N0. 4 rifle he learned to shoot when it had to be rested on my shoulder because he was too small to hold & shoot it without help.  I think he was 4 or 5.  That old rifle has been retired but he's already bought her a youth model of a single shot 22 that she will learn on.  Learning to shoot with a MG!  Wow, what kid wouldn't like that!    

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top