Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:40:53 PM EDT
Recent events in New Orleans have caused me to revisit my preparations for SHTF here in NY.

Thankfully, I have enough ammo to last through a TEOTWAWKI.  But one area I'm sorely deficient in for SHTF is stockpiled food.

I found a few places that sell civilian MRE equivalents.  They are much cheaper by the pallet than by the case.

www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm?fuseaction=itemdetail&item=1399&subcat=205&prodid=108&from=left

www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=13112&M5COPY%2Ectx=24480&M5%2Ectx=3018&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Food%20%2D%20MRE%27s%20Ready%20To%20Eat%2C%20Compact%20Survival%20Rations&level3%2Ectx=results%2Etam&query%2Ectx=mre&backto=%2Fagcatalog%2Fresults%2Etam

Would anyone be interested in splitting up a pallet of these MREs with me?  I gather a pallet is 48 cases.  I would only want about 5 or 6 cases, so we'll need a few people to split this with me.  

Note:  This thread is not a group buy.  It is merely a trial balloon to gauge member interest in organizing a group buy.  When and if this becomes an actual group buy all ARFcom rules and regulations will be complied with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
So what's the pallet price?  I didn't see it.  Can we get a group buy on this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking the same here " What If ? ". I'd be interested in some cases myself as long as I do not have to drive into NYC to pick them up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be game as long as it's not a NYC drive.  Full blown meals or just entree's?   i'd be game for like $100-200 worth
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in!

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like some but I tend to stay away from the full meals. I'd prefer just the entrees.

I have been through enough issues that I know you have to have at least a little stockpile.

Probably a bit better off going here: www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com

www.restoretherepublic.org
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#7]
COUNT ME IN!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I might be interested
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be in for a few cases.
There are 12 in a case, correct?

RW3
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an interest also. Is there any where a small quantity can be bought to taste test them?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Im in NYC every day, and depending on where these will be, I can bring them back to the New Brunswick/Princeton area. AT least its a lot closer than the city for most of you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm in for 4-6 cases depending on price, maybe more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok I can definitely help here.....Rothco is my distributor and the MRE's come 12 to a case, 24 cases to a pallet totalling 504 lbs a pallet.  I will call and get a shipping quote from them for the freight delivery.  Those who want multiple cases keep in mind that they are 21 lbs a piece, so for the price of shipping 5-6 you might as well drive a little bit to come pick them up even with the high gas prices.
I don't mind stepping up to bat for this as I know I can offer the best deal but if anyone has a problem with this let me know...If I get the OK I wont order until a whole pallet has been split up and paid for just so I'm covered.  I can also deliver to the blast for those attending.
until then, check out my site under construction. www.anthonysmilsurp.citymax.com
thanks,
Anthony
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#14]
In for 4 cases & can relay to the hudson valley
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#15]
NJ-SLEO685, thanks for stepping up on thiss.  We should definitely look into the pricing to get an idea.

For purposes of board rules though, this thread is still a gauge of interest only and not an actual group buy.  No conversion to actual group buy ordering until the ammo can group buy is closed.

I would be in for 4-6 cases depending on price.  Can everyone else indicate how many cases they are interested in?  That will govern how many pallets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:34:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd be interested in $100-$200.

What is the case price?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I would be up for a few cases (3-4). Pricing will help in my final decision.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#18]
tag for case price
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#19]
It looks like the dealer posted above keeps the product in stock, so the $75.00 is thier markup on the pallet price.  I can probably knock a few dollars off there price and still be ok.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Case price, please?

Steve

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:42:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Case price, please?

Steve

It's coming, I am witing for a trucking company to get back to me with a quote for shipping.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#22]
NJ-SLEO685, can you also see what kind of menu choice we can swing?  There's only some of the entrees that I can eat due to dietary restrictions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#23]
In for a few cases if I can get a lactose free option for family requirements. How many cases I can justify buying depends on the price. As many as five or six, and happy to get fresh production rather than stale stock, so happy to wait for a shipping quote for the pallets. I'd pick up in NJ or NYC.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
here is a good link for interested parties www.survivalblog.com/
and some info on storage life of MREs from this site:

potential storage life of MREs. Like all other storage foods, MREs must be stored at low temperature to maximize their shelf life. The data that they sent him was surprising. Here is the gist of it:

Degrees F / Months of Storage (Years)
120 / 1 month
110 / 5 months
100 / 22 months (1.8 Years)
90 / 55 months (4.6 Years)
80 / 76 months (6.3 Years)
70 / 100 months (8.3 Years)
60 / 130 months (10.8 Years )

Note 1: The figures above are based on date of pack, rather than inspection date.
Note 2: MRE’s near the end of their shelf life are considered safe to eat if:
A.) They are palatable to the taste.
B.) They do not show any signs of spoilage (such as swelled pouches.)
C.) They have been stored at moderate temperatures. (70F or below.)
Note 3: Not enough data has yet been collected on storage below 60 degrees F. However, projections are that the 130-month figure will be extended.
Note 4: Time and temperature have a cumulative effect. For example: storage at 100 degrees F for 11 months and then moved to 70F, you would lose 1/2 of the 70F storage life.
Note 5: Avoid fluctuating temperatures in and out of freezing level.
JWR’s Comments on MREs: The above-cited figures are for palatability, not nutritive value. You should plan on storing vitamin supplements. Again, vitamins should be stored in a cool, very dark place for the longest shelf life. (Many tablets are light sensitive—this explains why they are usually packed in dark brown bottles rather than clear glass.) I recommend rotating your vitamins every two years. The bottom line is that most of the fat, carbohydrates, and protein will still be available in MREs, even after many years of storage, but the vitamins will not. Plan accordingly.
Because MREs and other emergency foods are relatively high in bulk and low in fiber, I also highly recommend storing a bulk fiber supplement with each case of MREs. Don't overlook this precaution! Also, get yourself some sprouting supplies, and practice sprouting before The Crunch. Sprouts are an ideal source of vitamins and fiber!

SP10 again I have eaten a number of different MRE meals on hunting trips. I have MRE heaters, or simply warm a pot of water on the camp woodstove and immerse the entree. The meals I have eaten were actually decent. It has been awhile. The meals I had had small bottles of tobasco sauce, TP, matches, candy etc, and lasted several years in cool storage.

These are nice to have on hand.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I've decided to have enough supplies on hand for six weeks instead of my current three week supply. I'd really like cases of just specific entrees if that’s possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#26]
as stated here:What Makes the Sure-Pack™ Full Prepared Meal the Best Choice:
The U.S. Military’s development of the “retort pouch” used in the well known MRE, Meal Ready to Eat Government rations led to a revolution in combat feeding for warfighters. The retort pouch used in the military MRE is actually filled with food, sealed and cooked for sterilization to ensure no intrusion of destructive bacteria. The technology finally allowed nutritious foods to be preserved and withstand storage for periods as long 130 months depending upon temperature conditions. These commercial meals are a natural for the vehicle for emergencies, stocking remote cabins and survival food caches. Note these meals do not come with heaters!

The Sure-Pack is a complete meal with plenty of calories. All menus are packed in heavy plastic bags and include:
• Main Entree
• Side Dish
• Dessert
• Cracker Pack
• Jelly Spread
•Beverage Base
• Condiment Pack.

The Main Entrees used in Sure-Pak MRE meal cases can change frequently. The 6 menu types in your case (2 each of 6 menu types) depends upon the items currently being produced in their processing plants.
Entrees, typically found, subject to availability:

• Beef Steak w/ Mushroom Gravy
• Pork Rib
• Beef Ravioli
• Country Captain Chicken
• Grilled Chicken Breast
• Chicken/ Thai Sauce
• Chili with Macaroni
• Chicken w/ Salsa
• Beef Patty
• Beef Stew
• Pasta w/Vegetables
• Cheese Tortellini
• Black Bean & Rice Burrito
• Manicotti w/Vegetables
• Beef Enchiladas
• Chicken w/ Noodles
• Beef Teriyaki
• Turkey Breast w/Potatoes & Gravy
• Roast Beef
• Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce
• Chicken Tetrazzini
• Jambalaya
• Chicken w/Cavetelli
• Meatloaf w/ Gravy.

Side Dishes: • Buttered Noodles • Applesauce • Spiced Apples • Fruit or other.

Condiment Pack: • Spoon • Coffee • Cream • Sweetener • Salt • Black Pepper • Napkin • Moist Towelette.

Rations packs are varied and not selectable
__________________________________________________________________________________
If enough get claimed and paid for I wouldnt mind having to open up the boxes to mix and match as long as that was ok with everybody else.
still waiting on the price quote.....I can probably say with this kind of weight it might be around $70 a case, picked up or delivered to the blast.
I'll do my best to try and drop that figure though.  I'll even throw in a free tshirt to anybody who orders 5 or more cases from this page. http://www.rothco.com/general/index.cfm?fuseaction=showitems&subcatid=356&prodid=95&from=left
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#27]
If I were in I'd need MRE's without beef (as I don't eat beef).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I'd be in for 3-5 cases depending on price.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in .
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tag...

Please make sure you contact me if you want to actually do this thing.  (and remember, we need to close the ammo can group buy before we can start a second)

And I would be in on this deal as well!

The ammo can group buy is closing today.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#34]
After 9-11 I started stockpiling a few cases of MRE's. Is a good idea to do so. We have enough for at least 6 weeks, DO NOT forget water, there are places that sell 50 gallon containers, buy them "new" and food approved. There is an additive for the water that will make it last up to 5 years. (Can't remember the name).

We have tried the MRE's and they are not bad at all.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My daughter has the same problem! Vegetarians...

I went to Cheaper than Dirt and I found several entree's that do not have meat, I bought a few of them just for her, we keep them in a different color case just for her.

Don't forget the dogs and cats. I bought those 5 gallons containers (with seal lids) for the pet's food.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag...

Please make sure you contact me if you want to actually do this thing.  (and remember, we need to close the ammo can group buy before we can start a second)

And I would be in on this deal as well!

The ammo can group buy is closing today.

Ordering is now closed but the buy isn't closed until all payments are in and product is delivered.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I may be interested in a couple of cases if the price is right overall. I will check back for updates if this goes through. The price is a factor for me tho. I see 45 plus shipping for a case from catalogs. Will be interested to see how much from here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Ok the price is set....$65 a case picked up or delivered to the blast.
And like I said I will throw in a free T-shirt from my site for anybody who orders 5 or more cases.
Sorry for you big guys though, they only come in s-xl for now.
So lets see if we can gauge some interest in the number of cases everyone wants.
thanks,
Anthony
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#40]
@ $65 a case, I'd say 5 cases for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Hey, no little Tabasco bottles listed in the contents of the condiment contents! Whats up with that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'd  be interested in 4-6 cases....can  somebody going to the Hudson Valley stop by in Westchester?quote]

done

Put me down for 5
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm good for two or three cases to supplement my existing rations. I'm in upper NJ so I could arrange to make a p/u just about anywhere. Let me know the details on the how's and what's.

Thanks to everyone for putting this together.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My daughter has the same problem! Vegetarians...

I went to Cheaper than Dirt and I found several entree's that do not have meat, I bought a few of them just for her, we keep them in a different color case just for her.

Don't forget the dogs and cats. I bought those 5 gallons containers (with seal lids) for the pet's food.

I'm not a vegetarian (although I used to be), I just don't eat red meat...Pork (especially bacon!) and chicken/turkey are just fine, however .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
The cheese ones are useless for me, despite the essential calcium content which is why they're part of the healthy rotation. I'd especially like to trade away the primary cheese entrees:

Cheese Tortellini
Manicotti w/Vegetables

and would take beef, port, chicken etc from anyone not interested in those.

Also the buttered noodles side is useless, so if anybody hates applesause or spiced apples, I'd be in for trading those as well.

In particular, GoingIncognito and bear3351, as you can't have beef and I can't have cheese, I'll make a deal to take any of your beef entrees in exchange for you taking any of my cheese entrees, in equal measure of course.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Hey, no little Tabasco bottles listed in the contents of the condiment contents! Whats up with that?

Do you get those little rolls of T. paper in the MRE's?  Remember these are emergency meals, try not to get to fancy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[Do you get those little rolls of T. paper in the MRE's?  Remember these are emergency meals, try not to get to fancy.

You mean finger wipes.

I think he got the toilet paper part from Burt Gummer in Tremors 2 lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top