Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 4:04:04 PM EDT
Folks

Is it to time to fit myself for a tinfoil bandana?
What are the most likely SHTF scenarios for north Georgia?
Katrina has got me to thinking how best to prepare for my family’s security and safety.
I put my USP tactical purchase on hold to speed up my AR build (thanks Bookhound)
I am trying to prioritize our preparations based on the most likely SHTF scenarios for my area.
Here is what I come up with so far...

Threat:
Home break in
Preparation:
Weapon and marksmanship training

Threat:
Ice storm up to a week without power
Preparation:
Bug out locally to other family members
5-7 days of water, food and some type of fuel

Threat:
Damage due to flooding and tornadoes
Preparation:
Bug out locally to other family members

Threat:
Civil unrest
Preparation:
Bug out long distance to family in AL or OH
Finish my AR build to go with handguns
Stock up on ammo (.45, 5.56 and 9mm)

Any other threats I am missing?
Any recommendations on bug out gear and supplies?
I wouldn’t be looking to use my weapon systems to hunt looters just want to clear a path for the mini van packed with Mrs. Monk, our 3 kids and our bug out supplies

I figured I would post here to get the most location specific help
Besides I am ready for a tin foil bandana not a tin foil hat.
The survival forum scares me

The Bald Monk
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
if you live in atlanta (midtown, close in or whatever) i suggest you bug out permanently. at least to north marietta, kennesaw, alpharetta, etc. if for no other reason for the taxes and the exposure to some sort of rodney king flare-up riot or freaknik.

it will take a very bad situation to make you want to bug out further in my opinion. like they combine aids, bird-flu and ubola and it starts killing 90 percent of all exposed persons. or a nuclear attack on multiple cities with thermonukes or aliens invade or some similar..

unless north ga gets a super valcano or mega earthquake or gets hit by an asteroid, as long as you live in a good area you will be ok. if not i suggest you take care of your situational awareness and do what the victims in NO did not do.. move permanently to a safer place. BTW this is prolly very good advice for everyone in California...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Three letters CDC....
That is a threat... Small pox on your doorstep....
Terrorists hit that....... N.O. is a cakewalk....
Not ranting just food for thought
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife thought I was crazy ordering 80lbs of ammo last month.  After seeing all the looting, reports of violence, rape, etc in NO, now she think's I'm the shit!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're outside the perimeter, you are fairly safe. If not, then it's time to move. If anything ever happens around ATL, it will be like the King-thing, out in CALI.

First, have at least 1,000 rds, for all firearms. 5,000 is better !!hug.gif  Look into getting the military-type meals or freeze-dried. Have enough for 5-days, for each person. Find 5-gal water containers for storing water.

That's just a few suggestions, I could write a book here (LOL) he"BE PREPARED"
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My wife thought I was crazy ordering 80lbs of ammo last month.  After seeing all the looting, reports of violence, rape, etc in NO, now she think's I'm the shit!

My question is what did your wife think of you before you bought the ammo???
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My question is what did your wife think of you before you bought the ammo???

She thought I was a crazy gun nut preparing for a zombie invasion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]

She thought I was a crazy gun nut preparing for a zombie invasion. hr

What's wrong with that ?   heavy.gif

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you're outside the perimeter, you are fairly safe. If not, then it's time to move. If anything ever happens around ATL, it will be like the King-thing, out in CALI.

First, have at least 1,000 rds, for all firearms. 5,000 is better !!  Look into getting the military-type meals or freeze-dried. Have enough for 5-days, for each person. Find 5-gal water containers for storing water.

That's just a few suggestions, I could write a book here (LOL) on the things you should do and get.   Just pretend you're a Boy Scout, and "BE PREPARED"

I believe having a plan A and a plan B is a good start.

Anyone thought about routine meds like antibiotics, steroid creams? A bad cut or wound or infection is OK as long as there's a stocked MD nearby, but deadly in unsanitary conditions.

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Any other threats I am missing?
Any recommendations on bug out gear and supplies?
I wouldn’t be looking to use my weapon systems to hunt looters just want to clear a path for the mini van packed with Mrs. Monk, our 3 kids and our bug out supplies

I figured I would post here to get the most location specific help
Besides I am ready for a tin foil bandana not a tin foil hat.
The survival forum scares mehref=www.shout.net/~bigred/tinhat.jpg

The Bald Monk
wayofthebaldmonk.net/avatar/master.jpg

a good shotgun(rem 870, win 1200/1300, moss 500) would be in order as well IMO.

your list is well thought out. sure, there are tons of possible scenarios, but one can't truly be prepared for every possibility concievable.  there really aren't as many natural disaster threats in GA as most other states, thank god, so your basic scenarios are covered i believe.

i'm just getting into the survival/preparedness scene, so i still have much to learn.

some links that i have found useful are....

www.survivalring.org (all sorts of info and links)
www.warrifles.com  (has a good good, no frills, survival sub-forum)
http://www.survival-center.com/links.htm (just links)
www.survivalforum.com (nuff said)

i'm also slowly reading "how to survive anything, anywhere" by chris mcnabb, who also wrote the official SAS survival handbook. it's a good starting point to make sure you have all of the bases covered without getting into too many specifics.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#11]

BookHound,
                  I didn't know you lived so close, I'm in Loganville. It's nice to know there's back-up out there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to raise the question again of civilian-obtainable antibiotics and steroid creams.

I used to supply myself at farm & fleet with livestock-quality stuff, which has all gone post-expiration.

Since the doctor will not write me an open script for 5 years worth of antibiotics, where do we go? For a real bugout more than 5 days you better have some decent pharma.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]
other countries. canada preferably. don't beleive the fda b.s. about their drugs being unsafe. customs will allow one to purchase a one month supply of non-scheduled meds at a time. i'm not sure about the specifics (article, law etc etc). but one of the bodybuilding forums such as bodybuilding.com or intense-training.com would be a good place to start. those guys know all about importing meds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top