Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 12:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 12:26:59 PM EDT by Mike_Mills]
I thought I'd post this here. There are too many California haters over in the survival forum to make the exercise worthwhile (more chaff than wheat).

What are the big, realistic threats we all truly need to prepare for?

Earthquake and fire, are the obvious answers to those who live here. Wild fires are an annual event here in Southern California. Those who live in these specific areas have a never ending threat right outside your back doors. I want to focus on the earthquake preparedness rather than wildfires because I live in an area where wildfires are not likely and because a massive earthquake can affect anyone, anywhere - even in Missouri.

What is required to prepare for the aftermath of a large earthquake?

After the initial shaking stops, the immediate threat is FIRE. You need your survival supplies to be outside your house, which may burn.

I need to go now, but let me leave this thought with you: don't forget clothing in your planning. Everyone will need some clothing. More later.

I see an awful lot of people from Maryland and all fifty other states moving out here, not the other way around. The newbies, especially, could benefit from a constructive response to my question as they are likely unaware/unprepared for a major earthquake. If one hit, I'd bet 99% of the populace would be caught totally unprepared.

Honestly, guys, it ain't about guns. BTW, your ignorance of the true situation regarding firearms here in California is showing. There are plenty of very capable firearms out here - including AR's and AK's.

Let's move past the guns part of this. Right now, today, I'll say I'm not planning to use my firearms to rob from those who are better prepared/more fortunate than I. Preparedness is not just about guns.

Water, food, shelter, clothing. Probably in that order of priority.

I don't plan to bug out unless forced to do so, which I forsee as VERY unlikely. I'd rather save the gasoline for the generator.

What would really suck is to have all your survival gear in your house only to have the house burn down as a result of the earthquake. You'd have survived but lost everything. I'm thinking of a storage shed in the back of the property, away from overhead power lines and possibly fallen trees.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT
i agree mike, buggin outta socal is next to impossible in a major catasrophy. shelter can be had with tents and camping gear. most important would be clean drinking water. i have an msr miox and water filter pump. keeping enough cangoods or mre's for a week or two min. camping gear for cooking and shelter or you can goto the swap meet and buy the butane portable stoves pretty much anywhere for around $12.00-$20.00.
fianlly a well stocked first aid kit, emergency radio either batt. operated or hand crank type, and a meeting place for family and friends in case everyone is in a different place. all for right now until i can come up with something else.

meat
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:49:13 PM EDT
survival? my biggest concern is robbery, home invasion and someone attacking my loved ones. The only weapons i have availiable here are a 9mm pistol a .40 cal and a 12gauge. I would like more but really all these weapons are cheap and disposable. The only weapon i would like to have would be a rifle because they are great for getting you out of some serious shit, but really whats the odds of that happening???

Just makes you sleep a little better at night.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:13:19 PM EDT
I've thought about the various situations that are likely to happen here as well.

Most serious quakes that would cause the SHTF would likely damage the roads enough to MAKE you stay put.

Water, food, shelter, in that order. You'd do well with one of those garden sheds to store your supplies, since it's been mentioned you never know what might happen to your house.

The guns and ammo is to make sure you can hold on to those supplies you worked hard to stockpile. Also when the canned goods start getting low, you'll need to hunt critters.

In the shed? stockpiled canned goods, mre's, extra camping equipment. Possibly dried grains and beans.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:51:08 PM EDT
You might want to remember, if it's an earthquake, there's a very good chance you won't be at home. Probably not the rest of your family either.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 3:58:53 PM EDT by FNC80]
There are enough rabbits and orange trees in my neighborhood to keep me alive for years, not to mention the ocean a few miles away.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:10:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:34:20 PM EDT
I can't help but wonder if a person couldn't stop by a local swimming pool(or use their own) to stock up on water after a big event before bugging out.

Fill up as many bladders as you can possibly haul and use it for more general purposes while sparing the true drinking water.

I know that my primary concern if I truely was going to head for "them thar hills" would be water. I'm up here in Bakersfield and there aren't terribly many spots around that don't get terribly hot during the summer.

The time of the year that such an event might happen is what would cause me the most concern trying to decide how to handle things.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:46:03 PM EDT
msr miox.....small compact portable and treats alot of agua .enough said.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:12:44 PM EDT
This is an interesting thread.
I think a major terrorist attack would also be a situation to cause some unrest. Not one like the subway bombings of London, but a major one on a big city.
There has been talk about suitcase nukes, but I don't think there is any credence to it, but yet still its possible.
I am in the process of installing a 10000 gallon tank and backup generators on my property, and believe this will be sufficient for me. My neigbors are all tight and help one another out, so this is not an issue either seeing as we do not have many neigbors.
I buy bulk food from a mormon survivalist store, they have great packages, because they are suppose to have minimum one year food for themselves.
I have the recipe to make acorn flour, so with all the oak trees, that is a plus as well.
I buy guns and ammo in bulk and rotate and use my stock quite frequently
and if all else fails I might be able to talk one of my neighbors into letting me go cattle hunting.
I think that all Californians should be prepared fo "the big one" that they keep saying is coming.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/2/2005 8:31:34 PM EDT by tatsuosan1964]
Terrorism of course would have to be a concern. Not directly for me in the Temecula/Murietta area because I'm far enough away from everything except maybe San Onofre. If there were some type of radiological event, I would be concerned that the winds from the ocean in the evening could bring contaminated air into the valley. Gas masks would be required. I have enough for family including my 5 year old son. The concern here would be if a major city like Los Angeles or San Diego were hit, the amount of resources that would be required to assist would be draining on all communities in the area. My biggest fear would be of mass panic, rioting, looting, etc. which can make masses of people a feeding frenzy upon themselves. If the dam at Diamond Lake were destroyed by natural disaster or terrorism, you can kiss my ass goodbye as I am directly downstream from that so no amount of preparation would save me there.

Earthquakes would probably be most realistic event which would cause major problems. We are so dependent on our supermarkets for our food, public utilities for water, electricity, and natural gas, that many who have not spent a moment to think about what they would do if such a thing occurred may panic, making for a potentially dangerous situation for everyone. I remember when the Y2K fears were the rage and many people were doing some crazy things to prepare. I really believe that your best chance of survival in such a major event is to be able to think on your feet. Sure I keep a few gallons of bottled water on hand for use/emergencies. If you think about the amount of dry/canned goods in your house, you will probably find that there is enough in most households to last anywhere from several days to several weeks, especially if you went into a survival rationing mode. Water would then become key. Paul mentioned that the California Auquaduct system could be down which is definately possible. Most houses have a hot water heater which contains over a hundred gallons of clean water. Here in the Temecula area, a lot of homes have swimming pools, thousands of gallons of water. BBQ's that use propane can be found at many household to provide a means to boil water or prepare grains, rices, and beans which may already be in your pantries. How many of you have Chlorox or some other brand of bleach to wash clothes? This can also be used to treat water. Keeping your head in a major event would be key to your survival. Everyone else keeping their heads is just as important. I think that it is human nature for us to band together after such events. If all of your neighbors and others in the individual communities worked together, which is often the case in these types of emergencies, resources can be pooled and survival more likely. Look at how we came together after 9/11. People from across the country were trying to help. Some even going to ground zero to help in the rescue effort. Those who choose not to participate for the public good or take advantage of a bad situation, well, this is a firearms forum afterall and some of the potential outcomes are predictable.

It was mentioned that you may not be home at the time of the emergency. Nothing changes about having to think on your feet and to "Think" survival. I personally will do everything I could to get home if that is were my wife and son are. I could not imagine leaving them there to fend for themselves. Once home, to get my family, I'm back to the above to find a way to survive.

I would have to agree that it isn't all about the guns when it comes to survival but the facts are that they could play a role. Hunting for food or suppressing insurrection are all possible factors which we may all be faced with. Bottom line-Don't panic, think things out and SURVIVE.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:30:59 PM EDT
Water, water, water. This is, after all, SoCal, and all of our water is imported. We keep quite a bit of water on hand in 5 gallon containers with a hand pump (and back-up hand pump in case the first one fails) for our regular day-to-day drinking water and cooking needs. We also have the obligatory MSR ceramic filter if things really go south.

An overlooked source of water is a dehumidifier. Although they require electricity to run, I have two 45 pint dehumdifiers in my basement that pull about 5 gallons of water a day from the air. Some bleach (we keep plenty on hand), a little Kool-Aid, and we're good to go.

I also have an extended-life 4000 watt electric start generator that I bought at Home Depot at the time of the big SoCal wildfires when we thought we'd lose power, plenty of fuel (with fuel stabilizer). $780 seems like a lot until the power goes out. I'm looking at a bigger generator, but the price jump is substantial. Don't forget to get enough heavy-duty power cords to bring the power into your house, including splitters that allow at least three appliances to plug into each cord. As time and money allow, I'll be looking into active solar panels to run the dehumdifiers and equipment in our house too.

I live in the center of a major city, so I doubt that food is going to be a problem, but we keep enough canned and dried food for a week on hand normally anyway. There are two local markets within a block of our house where we can stock up if need be. Remember to keep enough cash on hand to conduct business, since ATMs and credit card machines will probably go down in a major earthquake.

Medical supplies are a definite must, although I live one block from a fire station and 3 miles from two major hospitals, so we'd probably be okay there too. Make sure to keep water-based gel bandages on hand, as burns are a likely danger in both the earthquake and wild fire scenarios. Inflatable splints are also a nice addition. Don't forget to keep simple analgesics on hand (aspirin, Advil, Tylenol). Ditto isopropyl alcohol for disinfecting injuries and sites for needle sticks (if we need atropine, then things are REALLY bad).

Battery powered NWS weather radio, FRS handhelds, plenty of fresh batteries (regular as well as rechargeable), two different cell phone services plus a landline, MSA respirators with spare filter cartridges (for smoke from wild fires and toxics from a chemical explosion), MSA Millennium (civilian version of the venerable MCU-2/P) gas masks with spare CBRN-rated filter cartridges (if we have a WMD situation), water-free soap/alcohol-based hand washing gel, baby wipes (the Iraq-bound soldier's friend), first aid books, fully-charged fire extinguishers (dry chem and Halon), and handheld and head-mounted flashlights including Surefire 6P handhelds and assorted Surefire Weaponlights (mounted and unmounted)(spare batteries and bulbs) round out the picture.

As for my Freeplay handcranked lantern, anybody know where we can get these repaired? My spring has "sprung" from my kids playing with it. I talked to a Freeplay rep, and he warned me not to open it with a fully-charged spring.

Nikon spotting scope and tripod for surveillance of approaching trouble. Digital camera and video camera to record the excitement for later review and to upload to the news networks (assuming the internet broadband connection doesn't go Boom). Still trying to scrape up the money for a PVS-14D 64 lp NVD, but the cost of private school for the kids is putting a crimp in the budget.

I keep my old NYPD Level IIA ballistic vest in the closet in case we have a problem with looters or robbers. Could use a new IIIA plus Level IV SAPI plates, but again we have a budgetary constraint. Guns are a last resort - okay, well maybe my Microtech automatic edged weapons in really CQB - if we have an intruder problem. Doubt this is will be an issue though, since we are only about 10 blocks from a police HQ and an equal distance from our area police substation (one of the advantages of being in an urban area). We keep enough firepower and ammo on hand to withstand attack by a platoon of Rangers, so worrying about home invasion by looters or other criminals is not an issue. On the low tech side, we have bows & lots of arrows and my wife's katana from when she studied iaido (technique of drawing, cutting, and resheathing the Japanese long sword).

Stay safe and hope that people behave responsibly if the environment does not.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:36:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SC_00_05:
You might want to remember, if it's an earthquake, there's a very good chance you won't be at home. Probably not the rest of your family either.

That's why we keep bottled water, a fire extinguisher, and basic medical supplies in each of our car trunks.
Top Top