Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/10/2005 2:45:40 AM EDT
Would there be any interest in forming one of these with members on this board? I've had some interest in it for some time but it's been hard finding people with an interest to do it... So, any takers? What's your feelings on it? If no, then why not? Thanks for the info.

SW1
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You're not going to make us drink Kool-Aid are ya?  
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Of course not... not if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2005 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
In case the zombies invade?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 4:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm confused.  Explain please.

How 'bout just a group of guys that shoot together?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#6]
No he's talking about getting together shooting snakes then eating them, or pigs, or possum or sleep together nekid in the same fart sack the night before shooting snakes and things and then eating them. Right!
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:21:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Just joking with you, I'm interested what do you have in mind.  I did a lot of this kind of stuff in the army and have a lot of books as well as practical hands on knowledge.  I don't cliam to be any kind of survival guru, but I think it is important to keep up on you skills.  Plus, I can teach my kids, boy scouts just don't cut it becuase they don't use guns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think he might be referring to what some of the regulars of the Survival Forum do:  group outings to test equipment, train, etc.  The idea of a manageable group camping/shooting outing sounds like fun.  I've considered having something like that on my property.  The only problem is I have so little level ground that the tents would be either spread way far apart or too close together.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Plus, I can teach my kids, boy scouts just don't cut it becuase they don't use guns.

I can remember when the Boy Scout's magazine, 'Boys Life', was chock full of advertising from gun manufacturers.  In fact, it probably carried more column inches of gun ads than issues of 'Outdoor Life' and 'Field & Stream'.
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yep, thats what you call it.
That or a hiking club.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Okay... this is what I had in mind...sorry for the late reply.

First of all..I'm overseas at the current moment... I'll be home permanently in December. What I had in mind was a group of people who got together to shoot, work on survival based topics like Land Navigation, First Aid, Escape and Evasion, Setting up natural shelters, field cooking, and squad based movements(just to add some flair). If weather is not permitting, we could just get together at an indoor range and shoot, or just go over stuff that we can do inside like cooking with limited supply, first aid, etc. Also, we would talk about and plan for the best possible situations for bugging out/in, personal preparations, and what would be a good idea for you to stock up on and where would be the best place to bug out to/rally if we so choose to do it together(trust building permitted). Sound good?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Its funny you should bring it up because I told my wife I'm begining to forget a lot of stuff, and I had a similar idea.  With Tornado's and floods being common place here, many people are just not prepared.  They expect the nanny state to take care of them, or someone like myself.  Calling it a survival group my not be the best terminalogy these days, how about "The Gentlemens Gun Club"
sounds more elite and less " survival Bubba with a gun".  I don't know lets get some names going here?
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Its funny you should bring it up because I told my wife I'm begining to forget a lot of stuff, and I had a similar idea.  With Tornado's and floods being common place here, many people are just not prepared.  They expect the nanny state to take care of them, or someone like myself.  Calling it a survival group my not be the best terminalogy these days, how about "The Gentlemens Gun Club"
sounds more elite and less " survival Bubba with a gun".  I don't know lets get some names going here?

How about jbombelli & friends?

That's a great name!  
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
SilentWarrior1, I am up for what you described, Expand and share knowledge with an eye toward working together as a group.  I see lots of merit in that, and I would also like to find a group of guys to get together with and shoot.  I'm looking for someone who has some land to set up some plywood "shoot houses" for CQB, and other training.  The problem is finding the land to do it on.  I live in central Indiana if anyone knows when and where, let me know.... I'm in.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Wish I was closer. I encourage this very much, please get up and join a group near you. If nothing else be thankful that there are like minded people around you. Any idea like this is usually shot down quickly in Illinois.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome. I'm still working the land issue. If the commisioner would allow us to do day-long training...we could get a lot done in a day... providing that people are willing to get up early and get started on some stuff early and got to Marksmanship on later in the day.

If everyone is cool with planting tents really close... I don't see that as a problem. If we get to the point where we rally somewhere... close proximity would be an only option... IMHO.

So, Starting now... please sound off with a yes if interested.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Where in Indiana?

Bob
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in South Indianapolis...we're working the land/training area issue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I would be interested depending on content.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm west of the south central area.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm up for whatever SilentWarrior1, I'd like to hear from thecommissioner about building some shoot houses, I think that would be fun as hell!
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm up for whatever SilentWarrior1, I'd like to hear from thecommissioner about building some shoot houses, I think that would be fun as hell!

Tell me more about the shoot houses:  how big/expensive/elaborate/permanent?

The primary uses for my property in order of priority:

1)  Hunting
2)  Camping
3)  Target shooting
4)  Fishing
5)  Firewood
6)  Picnicking

The place is essentially a hill so there is very little flat land.  The only time I have true flat land is when the pond is frozen!  
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#23]
My idea for a shoot house consists of several 4" X 4" posts in the ground wuth a few sheets of plywood to create the "room" so to speak.  You could do multiple rooms this way, and then when you are done, just take down the plywood, and rock the posts out of the ground & fill the hole.

It would take a bit of work, but with a few guys, you could knock it out quick.   I think you could outfit it with a few cardboard cutouts, some chairs & a table.  Then people could set up "shoot/no shoot" scenarios and have everyone try it out.  I think it would be awesome if executed well.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Okay... if you ARE interested in meeting up AFTER December... Please Enter with a YES only...so I can get names and a tally. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm Game, but why after december? I can smell the Prickley Pear Cactus pancakes now! OH YEH!
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#26]
yes
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I might be interested, I also have two buddies that are members here that I'm sure would be up to it.  Bartholomew Co.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Okay... this is what I have thus far for definites

Definites
Rynich
CAR-15
M4Madness

And for possibles
Jaeger_1969
serixx3241
jbombelli
The question was asked "Why after December?" Well here's why:

I'm currently serving with our Armed Forces in Iraq. We're slotted to be home in December, so that's the reason why.

If you have ANY questions about the group... please PM me and I will get them on a individual basis. Thanks.

SW1
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Come on guys, why pass this opportunity up to train with someone who is serving our country?  Not to mention the stuff that we will learn could save your ass someday.  I am pretty confident in my survival skills, but I'm sure most others aren't.  Let's make the most of this opportunity, besides... It will give us a chance to burn some powder anyway!
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's held at TheCommissioner's, I'll be there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Possible, depending on what I've got going on at the time.

edited to add:  And I better make my next post count...
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I added you to the list, M4... Thanks for the interest.

Commish... get with me, because I'd like to be able to do a visual recon of the area. I've seen pictures, but I'd like to get a feel for it myself. I'll be home in July for leave, so we'll set something up a little closer to time... sound good.

Again, if there's any questions... IM me. I can be reached on AIM under SilentWarriorOne.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No he's talking about getting together shooting snakes then eating them, or pigs, or possum or sleep together nekid in the same fart sack the night before shooting snakes and things and then eating them. Right!

Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Hey! I 'm glad you thought that was funny.  My Folks have a hundred acres we could do some sharpening of our skills on, there's 2 small streams there, lots of little critters and such to munch on.  It is just north of Bloomington.  My Dad would like to see a drop in the Coyote population there, there is also some Potheads growing pot on my Dad's land that the drug irradication boys can't seem to catch.  I would like to catch and skin them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey! I 'm glad you thought that was funny.  My Folks have a hundred acres we could do some sharpening of our skills on, there's 2 small streams there, lots of little critters and such to munch on.  It is just north of Bloomington.  My Dad would like to see a drop in the Coyote population there, there is also some Potheads growing pot on my Dad's land that the drug irradication boys can't seem to catch.  I would like to catch and skin them.

Hey, that's awesome!! That's plenty of room. See if you can get them to let us use the land, providing we "improve" on it's current situation... i.e. dispose of the 'yotes and the reefer. I'd like to do a visual recon of some of the areas we could use. Let me know if they say yes.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 9:58:11 PM EDT
[#36]
That no problem, I don't need to ask.  The rule is if I'm not with you then you are wrong, my Dad likes his privacy and wants to keep it that way.  I would like to learn how to mushroom hunt I have never done that.  I don't know the best or the right places to look.  There has been construction going on and the trash has been working its way down stream on to my dad's land I would like to document that and try to get it stoppped.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 10:17:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Rynich
Awesome. I'd like to set up a time to do a visual recon of the area and get some stuff plotted out for training, campgrounds, etc. I'll be home in July so we'll get something set up when I have some free time in between spending time with some family and friends. Once I get a time schedule, I'll let you know what I'm doing.

EVERYONE ELSE
I need to have and idea of what kind of gear you guys have as far as Primary rifles/pistols, Bug Out Gear, etc. Please PRIVATE MESSAGE me with this info. This way, I have an idea for placements to set up a training synopsis and schedule. I'd like to switch everyone around once in a while for cross-training purposes.

Also, I'd like a summary of yourself(ie age, location, family,etc) your background and any training that you've had...without going into too much detail. Please add that to the PM. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I sent some info to you, we will have to get in touch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's a format to follow for the info.

I'm 23 years old and a Army Combat Veteran. Originally from Taylorsville, I now reside in Indy with my wife. I have no children. ABN and Ranger Qualified. I currently have a M4 Kit gun which is still in process of being "finished"(they're never really finished) and have a number of Glock pistols... because they're the best pistols ever, JMHO. Books range from FM 7-8 to SAS survival Manual. I have a wide variety of Army FM's on Adobe format and can burn multiple copies. I'm in process of getting a .308 bolt gun for sniping  and a 12 ga. shotgun for CQB/MOUT purposes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:19:09 AM EDT
[#40]
We had a Survvial Forum campout in Februray of 04 at this location.  Anything goes in National Forest as long as you follow the rules, they do not put much liit on use of firearms.

This location is usually dead except during deer season.  Good place to meet and talk if it is for the first time.

www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/german_ridge.htm

The true appeal is the land that is south runs to and along the ohio river in places.  You have to do your homework, but I know the area fairly well now.  Some of the roads are now blocked off and are really 4wd trails at best.

Red cross hair is on the area we shot in, the campsite is to the East on the ridge.  If you drive south from there, the public land at times runs along the ohio river. In bad or wet weather, most cars and  2wd's will get stuck parked along the side of this road.  IMHO it is the most rural road in Indiana.

Here, the camp site is located at top just under and right of center green navigation arrow.  Now scroll down and you will see green shading along the Ohio river.  Look at the 2 creeks with visible blue shading on the map.

topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=4197792&e=535374&s=100&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

The area between the 2 creeks.  That road is NOT open, the one between Tates hollow and kingley creek.  You will notice 2 public parking areas on the main road.  They are simple, and small.  Vehicles could be left at the main campsite and one or two used to shuttle to this spot.
topozone.com/map.asp?lat=37.9084&lon=-86.609&s=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

All of the roads that run from the main road East towards the river are blocked from vehicle access now.  The road south of the 2nd parking area, that intersects at the Benchmark is interesting.  If you drive down near Tobinsport on the main road, then loop back East and North along the river you will be on this road.  Right before it intersects the main road, it is blocked off. So you only access it by driving in from the South along the river.  Wet, the last 1/2 mile or so is 4wd only.
topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=4193439&e=534368&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow... nice map recon. This is a good spot. I did my own recon of the map... and I think we could do some shooting and actually road march to camp spots and back... if some people are physically able. If not, 4x4's would be a good option. I also want to look at the other two sites we have available if I could get their coordinates via PM. I'll do a map recon of those too...thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#42]
I have access to over 500 acres directly behind my home in Springville, not to mention another 1000 or two on various farms near here owned by the same landowner. I've been hunting these properties for 10 years, but don't know how the landowner would respond to "a bunch of guys with guns running around" his properties. The joint properties behind me are pretty much a square mile (which is 640 acres), consisting of streams, ponds, fields, and woods.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like another great winter campout in the making. EXCELLENT!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have access to over 500 acres directly behind my home in Springville, not to mention another 1000 or two on various farms near here owned by the same landowner. I've been hunting these properties for 10 years, but don't know how the landowner would respond to "a bunch of guys with guns running around" his properties. The joint properties behind me are pretty much a square mile (which is 640 acres), consisting of streams, ponds, fields, and woods.

This tells me that we can do E&E, FTX/Bivouac w/out weapons, and work on MEDEVAC, First Aid and just basic manuevers. CCW only.

Ask if we can "Hike" on his land... If you can go out to his land with a GPS... get the coordinates and forward them to me so I can do a map recon. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm still waiting on CAR-15's info... and the other two possibles. If you're worried about content... PM me and we'll talk.

Oh and Serixx... I was born at Bartholemew Cty. Hospital... raised in Taylorsville for 12 years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Silentwarrior1, I will try to get you the info you need ASAP, I am home tonight for the first time in a week since my wife kicked me out of the house, and I have a few things to catch up on.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Take care of your stuff at home first. I'll be in Iraq until December, and you have more important things to handle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Take care of your stuff at home first. I'll be in Iraq until December, and you have more important things to handle.

Thanks, I appreciate the support.  I will get with you as soon as I finish up a couple of MolyResin jobs for customers. (And fix the shit with my wife)
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah. Family is important. Our purpose is to train to defend our families. Fix your stuff so you have a family to defend.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Yeah. Family is important. Our purpose is to train to defend our families. Fix your stuff so you have a family to defend.

Thanks SilentWarrior1, I have fucked this up pretty bad, but hopefully, I can get it fixed.  We are headed to counseling next week, and I hope that is a start to the road of happiness for my Wife and I.  We'll see...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top