Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 11:10:38 AM EDT
Can we own the Gemtech/any suppressor here in IL?  What is the process?  $200, NFA etc..SteyrAUG's Gemtech thread

I'm sure this is a dupe question, point me in right direction...

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No Suppressors, no AOW, no SBR for common citizens!

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can we own the Gemtech/any suppressor here in IL?  What is the process?  $200, NFA etc..SteyrAUG's Gemtech thread

The right direction....

That would be East, to Indiana, or North, to Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The right direction....

That would be East, to Indiana, or North, to Wisconsin.

LOL.  Too funny.  Got to laugh or else you would cry
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive my sarcasm, but...

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Not ONE but TWO other options...

got buddies that have manufacture permit, can possess and test....   I need to work for them, my job is lame

seen LEO w/them at the range....        public service is noble....

me... I'm saving my money and thinking either West or South
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They are a no-no for LEO's as well. SBR and full auto ok for cops, bur no gemtech
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't think there is anything about AOW's as long as they are not shotguns.
However better have $$ and a good lawyer, becasue no cop in IL knows the law.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think they are... maybe some Law Enforcment will step up and help out...!

Paging npd233 a little help here...

I might have been mis informed , we all know how informative Gun Shops are...(No Flames)

But last inquery I made I was told flat out NO AOW in Cook County and no AOW in IL.

Lets find out for sure... I would not mind a AOW...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think they are... maybe some Law Enforcment will step up and help out...!

Paging npd233 a little help here...

I might have been mis informed , we all know how informative Gun Shops are...(No Flames)

But last inquery I made I was told flat out NO AOW in Cook County and no AOW in IL.

Lets find out for sure... I would not mind a AOW...

I'd have to search but I think we have discussed this here before.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#10]
AOW's are ok in Illinois. Find anwhere in the law that specifies it is not legal. Suppressors are ok if you are an ammo manufacturer. Winchester Olin got this passed a year or so ago so they can "test" subsonic loads. SBR and SBS can be done, but with difficulty.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmm...  I have seen LEO w/suppressors.    I'm not one to question em, were def being safe and were into the shooting, so I enjoyed being on my own bay checking out what it sounded like....

I've got to go to private range (property) of licensed manuf. bout 2 yrs. ago

Got to shoot legal full auto M14 & M4   w/ and w/out suppressor

Local county PD came out after calls, paperwork was shown, was all good

When I left (6+ hours later) open house was going on around the way.   Nice for realtor to explain....

We did def. keep all in the berms.  

I will move to state that will allow me to collect class III.   I'm 100% law abiding and tax paying, damn right I should be able to have real deal, someday

But I would love even SBR in IL, really the only way a 9mm carbine, etc. would be fun to me

Plus know of old guys with expensive full auto toys in IL, once again, haven't scrutinized, but it's all talked about like they are totally legal, grandfathered, etc.  1919, Tommy Gun, M2 carbine

Seemed believable to me.   Oh well, I'll just go put a spring on my SKS trigger and pretend.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Cant you own then and keep in Wisconsin seems to me there was a LE guy that I met and he had some c3 stuff he kept in a locker at my friends gun store might be worth checking out you could always do the corp deal.
A good sight for reserach it Sub Guns . Com go to the NFA fourm and post Im sure you will get thr truth from this sightwww.subguns.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Only way to have a suppressor legally in IL is to be an SOT.  About a year and a half ago a very subtle change was made to the section of the ILCS that deals with prohibited firearms and exceptions.  To make a long story short, the section that specifically prohibits mg's has always had an exception clause for "lawful manufacture for government/LE" or something to that affect; the suppressor section didn't have any exceptions but one was added.

Not many people know about the change and I don't know if dealers are getting form 3's approved for incoming stuff.  Even prior to the law being changed the ATF had something like 500 registered suppressors in the NFA registry to IL addresses so who knows what was going on there.  Bottom line is the net effect here is minimal unless you're getting an FFL & SOT.  

A non-SOT could own and store a suppressor in another state but ATF won't approve transfer to a state that prohibits them so you'd have to own property and be a part time resident or move into a state where ownership was legal to acquire one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top