Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 6:27:33 PM EDT
Same as the Guilford Co. one, I'm not opposed to living in Burlington if it will facilitate the CLEO sign-off...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:37:27 PM EDT
Why the move to NC?  Your state is more NFA friendly than this one.  

Generally, with regards to NFA firearms and Sheriff approvals, discretion is desireable.  I don't know the answer on Alamance County, but I would hope that if the answer is yes, it is IM'ed to you rather than posted on a public bulletin board.  If it becomes public knowledge that a sheriff is willing to sign, it has lead to problems in the past.  If the answer is No, then by all means, post away.  It won't hurt and may save you some legwork.  

That said, the Sheriff in Alamance DID sign on to the the NCGV's "petiton" in support of renewing the AWB last year.  So, I wouldn't bank on it.  

Good luck, Wolffie.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 9:35:47 AM EDT by halloween78]
Arg, NFA irritation... well, I'm a resident of Virginia (Northern, not so NFA friendly) but born and raised in Southeast Guilford Co.  

I intend to go to school in the fall at A&T and contract with their Air Force ROTC program.  

This, and my parents' bad health are my motivations for my geographic limitations.  I just wanted to be able to shoot my 5.56 carbine without damaging my hearing more than it already is from years of being a Unit Armorer and long exposure to small arms fire.  

I know, ear plugs or electronic muffs, which seem to be my only alternatives after asking around here, I hoped I could forgo the headgear, which irritates my ears.  

I use hearing protection out of necessity, but would rather mitigate the need.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:13:38 AM EDT
I understand the irritation.  I don't like that someone can tell me I'm not allowed to purchase something that is perfectly legal.  In Va, you can go the corporate route.  In NC, it is my understanding that you cannot.  I've yet to figure out WHY you can't go the LLC route for Non-MG, NFA items but that seems to be the general consensus.  

The prevailing winds are that you must have a CLEO signature, and it's absolutely up the the sheriff whether or not your reason is good enough.  I don't know the sheriff of Alamance county, but you'd be best to try for a meeting with him.  

How far is Danville, VA from where you want to go to school?

Remember, if you own a suppressor and move you are allowed to keep it, so long as it is legal in the state you are moving into.  Suppressors are legal in NC, it's the aquisition that is difficult..  LLC's can move from state to state and take there possessions with them.  So long as they are legal in the destination state.  
Top Top