Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 11:42:08 AM EDT
I stopped in Jerry Hardesty Guns in Morehead City, NC and the lady working behind the counter didn't have much going on so she spent some quality time chatting with me & my buddy.  She said she was involved with the local NRA efforts and she said that the NRA was going to try to bring down NC's blue laws that prohibit hunting on Sundays.

What do you think?

I assumed such laws were common place but after finding this: NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheet: The Truth About Sunday Hunting, I'm inclined to support the removal of "no hunting on Sunday" laws.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sunday ban has got to go. I do not see any logic at all in keeping the ban in effect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Acually, the NRA hasn't done crap anything on the NC law.  There has been a group of grass roots folks that have been pushing this.  HB 505 was one of the first actions.

See
www.sundayhuntingnc.com

and

www.ncdeer.net

The NC WRC is now studying the effects of allowing sunday hunting.  If people will contact the WRC and their state representatives, we stand a good chance at getting rid of this blue law.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Sunday ban has got to go. I do not see any logic at all in keeping the ban in effect.

Why because you can't find any other day to get out?

May be you should just go back home to the state you can from to hunt on Sunday.

Nice jab. Only I did not come from the North, but rather deeper South.

As I told you before, I work for a living, and usually have to work six days a week, and if I am off on Sat, usually I have my kid's sports games to attend to and help coach. It would be nice to plan Monday through Saturday to just hunt, and nothing else.

Sunday ban still has no logic, unless you care to offer some insight to the rest of us?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May be you should just go back home to the state you can from (Calf) to hunt on Sunday.

I see you got the CA edit in--and I only spent the last two years there-for USAF purposes-I'm a FL bred boy.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it'd be a good idea.  I really don't see the point.  Enforcement would still have to be maintained regardless of whether it's ok to hunt or not.  

I'd honestly rather see them focus on the NC NFA laws.  But it won't happen.  I believe the NRA does a decent job on the national level.  But, they've never been particularly effective on a state level.  And they aren't particularly pro-NFA.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
UnusSupra1

Jeez, you're worse than a Yankee in your complaining    

Notice the smilie??

You work for the NWRC, and don't want to work on Sundays, or something??

I still want to know what the reasoning is behind not allowing Sunday hunting.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May be you should just go back home to the state you can from to hunt on Sunday.

Nice jab. Only I did not come from the North, but rather deeper South.

As I told you before, I work for a living, and usually have to work six days a week, and if I am off on Sat, usually I have my kid's sports games to attend to and help coach. It would be nice to plan Monday through Saturday to just hunt, and nothing else.

Sunday ban still has no logic, unless you care to offer some insight to the rest of us?

What southern Ca?????

Do you want to play with your kids or go hunting?

BTW: Deer season runs (for gun) 2 1/2 months long.

I'm guessing from that comment that you do not have kids, and therefore do not understand the value of being there for them when they are growing up. Sundays would allow me to take them hunting as well, and passing along that tradition.

Again, what are the reasons behind banning Sundays?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
AGAIN---I moved here from CA (where I spent the last TWO YEARS, and moved from FL to CA for AF purposes..What's your problem?

Again, what's the reason behind banning Sundays???????????????????
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Personally, I would rather they spend their resources elsewhere.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It is about a tradition that had been in place long before people like youself  <---again came to this great state.  
Funny, explain that to famliy I have that have been here since the 1800s, and do not agree with the Sunday ban

You seem to be a man who has no or little time for any thing.

Ok, whatever brought you to that conclusion

I suggest you take a second look at what is important in your life and re-evaluate your priorities instead of hoping that Sunday is opened up for hunting.

I ain't hoping, I'm working actively to open it up. Hell, why not ban Sunday driving while we're at it?

I think the point is, is that as much as you do not like it yourself, blue laws are very obsolete.

And how is a law AGAINST hunting a tradition???????????????????

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Priorities are different for different people.
[rant on]
I for one would perfer to spend the day in the woods carring on the tradition of hunting /conservation and the love of the outdoors with my children.
I for one would welcome Sunday hunting.
Me and my boys like to hunt but they also play sports and they only have games on Saturdays.
The place I hunt is over an hour away. So trying to hunt before or after a game isn't practical.
It seems to me in my observations the only ones who don't want Sunday hunting are bible thumpers and people who have land near by who can step out their backdoor after work and do some hunting.
Lets face it.We can fish,play golf numerous other activities but hunting strikes a nerve in some people.
Don't give me that crap that fishing and hunting arn't the same.It is.In some cases the weapon is different and the quarry is different but the results are the same...LUNCH!!!
You don't want to hear gun shots during services?Make it no hunting till 12 or make it a day for bow.
Not enough Game Wardens to go around.Bump the license fees up a couple dollars and hire a couple more.
Give a day for the animals to rest...give me a break.They are more use to running for their lives from free roaming dogs and coyotes than  me sitting in a treestand waiting for one to walk by.
[/rant off]
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
[rant on]
I for one would perfer to spend the day in the woods carring on the tradition of hunting /conservation and the love of the outdoors with my children.
Me and my boys like to hunt but they also play sports and they only have games on Saturdays.
The place I hunt is over an hour away. So trying to hunt before or after a game isn't practical.
It seems to me in my observations the only ones who don't want Sunday hunting are bible thumpers and people who have land near by who can step out their backdoor after work and do some hunting.
Lets face it.We can fish,play golf numerous other activities but hunting strikes a nerve in some people.
Don't give me that crap that fishing and hunting arn't the same.It is.In some cases the weapon is different and the quarry is different but the results are the same...LUNCH!!!
You don't want to hear gun shots during services?Make it no hunting till 12 or make it a day for bow.
Not enough Game Wardens to go around.Bump the license fees up a couple dollars and hire a couple more.
Give a day for the animals to rest...give me a break.They are more use to running for their lives from free roaming dogs and coyotes than than me sitting in a treestand waiting for one to walk by.
[/rant off]
GLOCK-23

Oh NO!!! Someone else saying the same thing I am!! Maybe you ought to go back to where you came from too

So is that the only argument brought forth, by UnusSupras, is that it is a "tradition" to ban Sundays??

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It is about a tradition that had been in place long before people like youself came to this great state.

You seem to be a man who has no or little time for any thing.

I suggest you take a second look at what is important in your life and re-evaluate your priorities instead of hoping that Sunday is opened up for hunting.

It is a bad tradition, and one that should go the way of all bad traditions based on blue law.

It is a law that the Taliban can relate to.  Enforcing religious views through law is bad business.

By the way, the gun season is not 2 1/2 months in all parts of the state.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
[rant on]
Give a day for the animals to rest...give me a break.They are more use to running for their lives from free roaming dogs and coyotes than  me sitting in a treestand waiting for one to walk by.
[/rant off]
GLOCK-23

Don' let people use the game warden as an excuse.  There are the same nuimber of game wardens working every day of the week.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:13:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd like to see some NFA reform here in NC, but the NRA won't be having any of that.

I wouldn't mind being able to hunt on Sunday.  

If it's your tradition not to hunt on Sundays, then don't. Big boys can make that decision without a law.  

It's pretty easy really.  Once you grow up and realize that you don't have to be told what to do, your life will be much easier.  Good luck with that, UnusSupra1.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, I know it isn’t that long over the whole state. I am speaking of the gun season for deer here in the eastern side of the state.

You know, your wanting to change the law to fit your needs might make you a little bit of a liberal?

I guess next you’ll want the state to allow beer and wine sales before noon on Sunday or hell just open the ABC stores 7 days a week?

Well, the state will most likely open up Sunday for hunting because the money issue was raised.

But don’t be surprised down the road if there is a new law prohibiting the discharging of a firearm on state land outside of the set hunting season.

There is talk now to shut down all ranges on state land because of safety issues, no more Uwharrie range.

BTW: The Taliban comparison was pretty weak.

Well, the liberal reference was weaker! The Taliban loved to make laws prohibiting things based on religon.  If Sunday hunting prohibitions are not religion based, I don't know what is.

And if you want to make a comparion to liberals, your stance on not allowing Sunday hunting aligns quite well with PETA and HSUS.  

Actually, I don't feel the state has any business running ABC stores, and should be privately run.  And while were at it, I have no problem with the sale of alcohol before noon on Sundays.  What possible reason should there be a prohibition on this?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I've lived in NC since I was less than a year old (minus 2 years for OEF/OIF).  Hell, my active duty Army days were spent at Ft. Bragg.  

If I'm still considered an "outsider" by the lowest common denominator I'll get over it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#27]
You know this state was a whole lot nicer before the not nice people set foot on the sand.
Men got to hunt and fish all day everyday and the women did all the work.

BTW I ain't from NC but I am sure one of my great, great, great, great granddads was. I was born in So. Cal to dude. My father was born in NM on a reservation. Long tradition of hunting in my family. Lets keep traditions alive!

Things change dude, get over it.

(Working six days a week too)
Samuel

Edit-Language-u352

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I think Sunday hunting should be allowed on game lands and barred on private lands.

That way private landowners can be marginalized on the issue.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#31]
UnusSupra1,  My inlaws have to pay someone to live on the property at their hunt club bacause of all the tresspassers.  They piss me off too.

These laws are only for honest people anyway.  The people who go onto posted property and hunt from other people's treestands won't be affected.   Us law abiding folk will have to endure silly laws while it'll be business as usual for them.

It's just another example of some inconsiderate jackasses F'ing it up for everyone else.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
And you guys wonder why no matter how long you live here in North Carolina that you will always be considered an outsider.

I don't consider you an outsider.Just someone with a different opinon.Not good,not bad just different.
By the way...looks like you have a heck of a good place to spend time outdoors.If you need a hand at culling a few deer give me a holler.
Dang land is so expensive,I don't know if I'll ever have a place like that.
I know how you feel about trespassers.I was walked in on twice last year.After getting up at 3am to be in my stand before daylight and just after the Sun gets up,some D**K  comes walking by.Yep,I spit out a mouthful and they left without a word.
Why don't you have to have a license?Are you using the land primarily for cultivation?
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Concerning the original topic, the NRA did send out some e-mail alerts about the information meetings that where held across the state. One of the meetings was held at my old high school but I was unable to attend.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#39]
To post your opinions on Sunday Hunting to the NCWRC:

www.ncwildlife.org/sunday_hunt/sunday_hunt.htm

Also, looks like UnusSupra1 has deleted all of his comments....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
To post your opinions on Sunday Hunting to the NCWRC:
www.ncwildlife.org/sunday_hunt/sunday_hunt.htm
Also, looks like UnusSupra1 has deleted all of his comments....

Thanx for the link entropy.  I just sent them my 2¢.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top