Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2010 2:52:40 PM EDT
Posted a Bass and Amp for sale on CL and got the usual collection of scam replies. This guy has tried about 6X harder then everyone else. Any novel ideas on what to do with him??

Quote the CL scammer:

OK, that's cool.I am ready to buy it now for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. . I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the Final price so i can make the payments asap for it.  I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Posted a Bass and Amp for sale on CL and got the usual collection of scam replies. This guy has tried about 6X harder then everyone else. Any novel ideas on what to do with him??

Quote the CL scammer:

OK, that's cool.I am ready to buy it now for my dad and i am not in town at the moment as i am a Military been in camp in for some time and due to the nature of my work, It hard to make a phone calls and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. . I insisted on PayPal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address and the Final price so i can make the payments asap for it.  I have a pick up agent that will come and pick it after i have made the payments...

Thanks.

PPPPP POWERBOOK!

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
419 eater.com   read all of the ways .
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would tell him you work at a Police Department and would have to have his delivery guy pick it up there.  Just tell him to check in with the Sargeant on duty and he will come get you.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I always tell the scammers to send the check to:

Robert Mueller
935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20535-0001

Accountant
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Whats the nature of this particuliar scam?

They will really send a person to come and get the item? Usually these scams involve you mailing an item at your expense to some intermediary who is supposed to pay you on receipt of the item, this of course is actually an address that forwards the item to the thief and you never get paid. Then there is the scam where they mail you a bank check for the item but it is more then they owe so you are then supposed to mail them a check for the difference so they can then steal your money and the item you shipped after the fake bank check bounces.

I've never heard of one where they actually have a thief meet you in person to collect the item. What do they do then just cancel the payment or is it that they are using a stolen credit card to pay you ahead of time before paypal stops the payment? Tell them to send the pickup guy who is willing to sign a bill of sale which states all the personal details of the buyer and the pickup man. Require the pickup guy to give you a notorized copy of his Drivers License or I.D. Bet that will make them nervous, if not then hell maybe that is proof enough for paypal to reimburse you if they try something stupid. Or better yet, tell them you will hold the item, he can paypal the money to his pickup man as a gift to avoid the fee, then the pickup man can get the cash and pay you in cash, problem solved if they are serious.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Best way to hurt a scammer is to waste their time.

Drag it out have mild fun with it be eager but cautious. Make him work for it.

But of course never complete it.

More time he spends on you the less on some other person that might fall for it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife was selling a dining room table on CL 3 weeks ago for $250. A guy sent her $800 in money orders and said his "agent" will come to the house to pick up the dining room set and the extra cash. I didn't realize what she was involved in until she already had money orders in hand and was getting ready to go to the fg bank and cash them and give the "agent" the left over money for his trouble in transporting the goods.

Who the hell uses the term "agent" like that?

I had to have a talk with the wife about scams and fake MOs. Then I told her to let them come over and I'll deal with them. She didn't like that idea and took the e-mails and MOs and all to Forsyth County brass and they said there was no crime and washed their hands. She said one officer actually looked at them and said "they look real me". In such a way where she called me on the phone and asked if she should cash them and go through with the deal.......holy cow.... frustrating.

I had shown these to the bank and they said they would cash them............ and if they bounced (???) they would come back after us for the funds of course. And that's exactly what would happen.

Not the first time either. A few years ago a thief online used her CC to buy some cheap things online. We gave the whole thing over to the Forsyth cops and they said there was nothing they could really do since the guy was in Toronto or something.

There appears to be no consequence for being a thief these days.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#8]
400 North, this is becoming so common I can't believe that banks still accept money orders.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]
It happens all the time. I've been trying to see some car stereo stuff thats been sitting in my garage forever. This stuff is heavy, and people keep wanting me to ship it, but luckily I'll get to keep any extra shipping money right...dumbasses. I want to have their "agent" come over so I can shoot him and tell the sheriff that he was breaking into my house or something.

I only do FTF deals with cash on craigslist, and by cash I mean small bills like 20s.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Best way to hurt a scammer is to waste their time.

Drag it out have mild fun with it be eager but cautious. Make him work for it.

But of course never complete it.

More time he spends on you the less on some other person that might fall for it.

Oh yeah,
Wife was selling a sofa on craigslist for $300.00 and as of now we have 6 checks for $962.00 each and those 2 scammers are waiting for us to deposit them and send them the extra.
There going to be waiting a while and we will contact them soon and say 'we are still waiting for the funds" and see what they send then.
Once we get 12 we will send them to the proper agency.
LOL

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#11]
What if you tried to cash one ?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quote the CL scammer:

Thanks.

In your case they are using a stolen paypal account.  Don't go through with it because some innocent person who had their paypal account stolen will have to deal with a lot of money being taken out of their BANK account just prior to Christmas.

If you can figure out a way to do it that does not involve them sending you ANY money through paypal then do what you want, but once money is sent through paypal then someone else is involved and it could cause them to bounce checks, make a late rent payment, no Christmas presents for their kids... you get the idea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What if you tried to cash one ?

After a few days, the MO will bounce.  You'll be paying for it at your bank with your own $ including any fees.

ETA: That's one reason I've only accepted U.S. Post Office money orders (Ebay auctions a few times).  The post office can tell you right then and there if they are fake.  For Craigslist, cash is king.  If you're worried about it, take one of those counterfeit marker pens with you and check the bills.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
spraying your fake money with hairspray and letting it dry will defeat some marking pens , Guy at work sold a car on CL and got a mixture of fake and real 20's be careful
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top