Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 1:59:01 PM EDT
As a response to the recent Dutch shooting in Alphen aan de Rijn the commission of police chiefs make a couple of retarded suggestions, one of which was to ban shooters from taking home ammo. Now I realize this is next to impossible to police and being a rather wet country I foresee a lot of tragic boating accidents, I do however have a question about the practicality of such a ban:

Can you guys in other Euro country's buy reloading supplies over the counter ? If so can you get all the supplies to make a round / can you buy nitro/black powder over the counter ?

I doubt it but is there an other Euro country that bans shooters from possessing ammo at home ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:51:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:24:49 AM EDT
Was there any official report made analyzing the effectiveness of a ammo ban in Germany ?

Here all munition components (bullet/case/primer) require a shooting license to buy, nitro powder does not fall under the weapons law and is governed by some storage requirements.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:53:04 AM EDT
In order to buy powder and primer you need a license here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 4:37:53 AM EDT
So basically in the current situation a Dutch shooter could by his powder here and the rest in Germany/Sweden.

Say they banned the sale of nitro powder here as well, could you make a functioning round out of the powder they use in blanks ? I realize this is expensive and time consuming and your not going to win a lot of bench rest competitions, but would it produce a workable round for a thug ?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:46:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:37:59 AM EDT
Powder is free here as it does not fall under the weapons law, it can fall under storage/shipping requirements when stored in amounts of over 1 kg. On the other hand I expect most gun shops will check your license before you can buy it (I do not reload so really have no clue). Seeing as powder is currently free here they might want to ban that as well so I kind of need to mention another source. When I was in Germany my fiends shot some of those 8mm alarm guns and they sure smelt like nitro powder, but have no idea of what was really in them.

Point being I want to write something showing any ammo ban would be useless as you can simply get hold of the component parts even if they decided to ban all component parts here. And I have not yet even started about the logistical undertaking such an ammo system would require.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:55:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:41:52 PM EDT
No problem, have a good hunt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:07:55 AM EDT
Czechlands: No such ban, you are just supposed to store ammo in case under lock if you store over 500 rounds.
Reloading is permited for sport gunlicence holders and amount of primers and powder is limited, also smokeless powder and primers can be purchacsed only by licence holders. You can reload only for your own purposes. Black powder and percusion primers are free to purchase if you are over 18.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:28:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 3:18:13 AM EDT by Frens]
here we can own ammo at home but there's a limit on the quantity:
- 200 handgun rounds
- 1500 rifle rounds
- no limits for shotgun rounds (.12GA, etc)

and we can reload without problems.
I'm not an expert as far as reloading but here you need a licence to buy powder and primers. bullets and cases are free.
I bet there's a limit on the quantity of powder we can own but I dont know the exact amount.

OP, IMO you shouldnt worry too much...where are you supposed to keep the ammo if not at home?
buying & using them all at the range, for example, doesnt make sense...let's say you're going to a dynamic shooting competition (usually in the weekend when shops are closed) where you're supposed to fire 300+ rounds...every shooter should buy 300+ rounds at the range the day of the competition....ence the range should stock millon of rounds?!
same thing for hunters, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 3:11:57 AM EDT
Yeah the ban would basicly be impossible to police effectivly, but with Dutch gun laws I've leared to worry as the fail has been strong in the past.

Thanks for the responces guys
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 4:02:39 AM EDT
Hello everyone,
here in Austria there is no limit on how much ammo you can own, but it has to becept under lock and key same as guns. If it's more than 5000 shots total you own you have to tell that to the police, they might order you to take some extra savety measures. Contrary to common misperception there is no legal requirement to seperate guns from ammo during storage.
To own handgun ammo or FMJ ammo one needs a "Waffenbesitzkarte"  -a gun permit- ; huntig ammo or HPBT is free - no gun permit needed - so bad luck for those who want a .357 lever gun, without a gun permit they may own the gun but not any ammo.
For handloading no licence is needed, but since the last "reform" one can only own up to 10 kilos of powder.
Top Top