Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 12:00:31 PM EDT
Well, I'd like to whine and rant and explain to everyone how much of an idiot I was yesterday morning.

The plan was to wake up at 6:00, take a shower, take a dump, eat, and be on my way to appleton by 6:45. (I live 75 minutes north of Appleton).

I did so and was on my way. I then decided since I had so much time to waste before work (10 am), I would stop at the shiocton range, get a target count on how many were there and see what brass was lying around for me to snatch.

I get there... no brass on the one range, so I head over to the next range, like an idiot, I drive my car up the slight hill, drive along the hill looking for brass, I see none (someone got there before me), I look to my right and down the hill, there is a little snowbank, maybe 18 inches high, I decide to use my Dodge neon and try to go through it.

As I go down I accelerate wanting to break through the bank like on most occasions, this time I was wrong, and the snow was extremely hard packed, I get stuck. I am stuck in the middle of nowhere, and of course most people don't shot guns at 8 am.

Of course the USGI tri-fold shovel I usually have in the car is at home, so I spend the next 2 hours digging (trying to) with a ICE SCRAPER. After 2 hours and alot of digging, I commend myself for doing what I did but I still wasn't making progress, the snow was so hard packed it wouldn't budge.

I call my Mom, she comes out... I told her to bring a shovel, she brings a wide, round, plastic snow shovel. I yell at her asking her what she is thinking, because it wont fit underneath the car... so here we sit accomplishing NOTHING.

AFter apologizing for blowing up at her, some dude with a 4x4 truck rolls up at the pistol range, i ask them for a tug, and boom, I'm out in 45 seconds.

I offered them money, they wouldn't accept, and I offered some of the .223 ammo I just bought. They refused and made a joke about how 223 is a useless caliber, but I was grateful for their actions so i decided to not say anything.

/Rant off.

Just thought I'd share while I sit here at work waiting for me to get done so I can go to Racine for the Pistol Match :)

Thanks.
-David
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Some days we are the dog, other days we are the fire hydrant.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some days we are the dog, other days we are the fire hydrant.

It's funny now. But it wasn't yesterday. lol. You should be coming to Racine!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
bummer on getting stuck " put that GI shovel back in the car, mine has saved me many a time

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That'll teach ya to take a neon whare only a ramcharger should go.

That said I have tried to go through snowbanks and failed in several cars (you would think i would learn after the first 40 times, it just so much fun.

The point is, you never told us how many target stands there were.

Be glad you didn't hurt the car. I had a guy wipe out a $2500 radiator on a Freightliner on a snow bank.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I was there today to check out the setup. There were 3 stands on the long range and 1 on the short range. They have cardboard in the culverts at the berms to hang targets on. I didn't check out the pistol range.

10 benches on the long range, 12 on the short range. We'll just use the short range for the NFA fun and leave the long range open for those who want to shoot their AR's out to 500 yds. I didn't have my range finder so I don't know if it's yards or meters.

Really a nice setup. Hope it dries up a little more by the shoot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
There were 6 target stands when I was there... Louie did you see the ruts and messed up snowbank on the long range? that was me... lol

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top