Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:32:27 AM EDT
Took the USP with Streamlight M3 out to test tonight. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. WTF? Light went dead after 4 shots.

Ended up having to replace the bulb.

Not reassuring to say the least. I've contacted Streamlight with my concerns and will post again with their response.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
I would say probably fluke. Streamlights are known as pretty robust lights, in fact, I have a TL2 myself. I am sure they will make good, lifetime warranty and all that.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:40:26 AM EDT
No lifetime warranty. 1 year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:17:32 PM EDT
Time for an LED based light:

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:26:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoAim:

Are you sure on that? I thought all Streamlight tactical type had a lifetime. well good luck, I am sure they will treat you right whichever way the warranty runs.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:29:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Are you sure on that? I thought all Streamlight tactical type had a lifetime. well good luck, I am sure they will treat you right whichever way the warranty runs.

Nick

I hope so to. I'm staring at the Manual, second to last page. It says "LIMITED WARRANTY, STREAMLIGHT, 12 MONTH LIMITED WARRANTY".
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
On a parallel topic:

I bought myself a Pentagon X3 for Christmas. It looks ok, the body is a bit "flowery" for my taste, with added machining where it isn't really required, but overall looks ok.

I put the three cell in that came with it (remembering to take the shrink-wrap off first :-), and as soon as it got dark, took it outside and shone it around - seemed ok.

I dropped it in the gun safe and didn't think much more about it.

A couple of days later I was looking for something, and as usual picked up my H&K light which goes with my USP compact to light up the inside of the safe -- its a single cell (3v), small light.

Anyway - then thought -- use my new toy :-) So I fired up the X3 ... and the safe didn't seem much brighter... Shone the X3 at the ceiling, and then the H&K along side it -- the H&K is brighter!!

So ... took it (the X3) all apart to make certain that there were no dirty contacts, and then had a thought and put a meter across the bulb -- 8.5v with no load -- Hmmmm -- turned it on, and the voltage dropped to 5.7v

Took out the cells - they measured < 3v each (no load).

Replaced them with some surefire cells, which measured >3v and there was (of course) a marked difference. The X3 is now brighter than the H&K

Not by a huge amount, however -- but the area illuminated is larger, so thats probably ok.

So, if you buy an X3, you should probably be suspicious of the cells that come with it, and buy som Surefire ones -- just in case!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 3:11:52 PM EDT by GackMan]

Took the USP with Streamlight M3 out to test tonight. BANG. BANG. BANG. BANG. WTF? Light went dead after 4 shots.

Not reassuring to say the least. I've contacted Streamlight with my concerns and will post again with their response.

DUDE! That sucks - that light was new, no hours on the bulb at all!

just FYI for everyone, I sold No_Aim that light. It came with my safariland 6004 as a package deal. I had never used the light.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:25:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GackMan:

just FYI for everyone, I sold No_Aim that light. It came with my safariland 6004 as a package deal. I had never used the light.

I know man. That's what makes it worse...I can't blame you! Sucker was brand new. Worked fine out of the box. 4-shots later = new bulb.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:01:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GackMan:

I know man. That's what makes it worse...I can't blame you! Sucker was brand new. Worked fine out of the box. 4-shots later = new bulb.

Was that the streamlight M3 you had at the PR night match you showed us in the club house after match?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:56:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gunkata:
Was that the streamlight M3 you had at the PR night match you showed us in the club house after match?

Yes.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:22:05 AM EDT
Update:

Your experience is not typical. I expect hundreds of rounds before a lamp failure. However, the lamps are hand-made mechanical devices and a very small number of them will fail early. Usually a lamp that lasts through the first few minutes of operation (and the first few rounds on a gun) will have normal life. Again, what you experienced seldom happens.

If you email me your address I'll send you a couple free lamps to compensate you for your trouble.

Sincerely,
Charlie Craft
Chief Engineer

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:48:31 AM EDT
Looks like they did all right by you. On a side note, on my TL2, bulbs and batteries are not covered by the lifetime warranty.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:47:08 PM EDT
That's pretty cool of them to send you free bulbs. I've fired several mags with mine attached and the light on. Both on the G21 and the G17L last weekend. I haven't tried it with the G23 yet. Kinda apprehensive, since the light sticks out past the plane of the muzzle. I wonder if it even matters.

Hell, the G23 already killed a LaserMax. They replaced it for free too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:52:31 PM EDT
My M3X is going good so far....bright too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:27 PM EDT
I have a M3X coming this week to put on my G23. How do you like yours. Will work good for the night shoots.
Brian

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
My M3X is going good so far....bright too.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:52:18 PM EDT
Good for Steamlight and good for you. I too am interested in the LED versions but for now I have the Glock Tactical light. I have had it for two years and shot about 200 rounds with it attached to a G22 & G23 with no problems. The only issue is to make sure you clean the residue off the lens after each session. I'm sure this is true with all mounted lights.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:43:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By OrARGB:
Good for Steamlight and good for you. I too am interested in the LED versions but for now I have the Glock Tactical light. I have had it for two years and shot about 200 rounds with it attached to a G22 & G23 with no problems. The only issue is to make sure you clean the residue off the lens after each session. I'm sure this is true with all mounted lights.

I've heard one trick is to lightly smear the lens with oil. It will still get residue all over it, but it's much easier to clean it off. Don't think the oil will hurt the lense.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:35:33 PM EDT
piece of masking tape or medical tape on the lens when practicing during the day with the light attached works pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:51:00 PM EDT
Just got another e-mail from Streamlight again offering me free bulbs. Hell, I may end up getting half a dozen out of this.

When they get here, I'll keep a few. Gackman gets one, and anything else is up for grabs.
Top Top