Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:52:11 PM EDT
Just thought I'd share my results of my "interview" with Paul Fitzgerald today in regard to an application for CCW.

Got there a bit early to fill out the paperwork (about 10:40 for an 11:00 appt.) and he was right on time.  Very respectful guy.  He basically just went over the application with me, and had me clarify a couple things he couldn't make out (my handwriting has often been compared to that of a primate on more than one occasion ) and gave me the standard "strong warnings" that I've heard so much about.  Basically said if I commit any of the offenses that precludes one from firearm ownership in the first place (domestic violence, assault on emergency personnel, felonies, etc.) then the permit gets revoked (well duh...kinda goes without saying, but no big deal).  He also said he affixes a stamp to the permit that disallows concealed carry in any establishment that serves alcohol.  Other than that, it really wasn't that bad.  Yeah i could tell there was some apprehension toward a "civilian" wanting to carry, but having my 03FFL, military firearm training both on the m16 and m9, and participating in an IPSC match every once in a while definitely helped to reassure him that I know the "do's and don'ts" of firearm safety.

It really just boiled down to him wanting a face-to-face with the people who apply to make sure they're not some random wacko that wants a gun.  I just told him that my wife and I travel to many places around not only Iowa but many of the reciprocal states as well, and a good number of those places we're just not sure what the area is like, and I would feel much better having it on me just in case.  He had no issue with that (or at least he said so).  He asked me how many firearms i had in my C&R collection, and I made up a number.  I personally don't feel he has any reason to know the real answer, but at the same time I definitely didn't want to say anything that might be perceived as "dick-ish" and end up getting denied.

I'll be getting a letter in the next week or so detailing when/where the April class is being held.  Fitzgerald only accepts classes taught by a certified Iowa LEO academy firearms instructor.  Might be a bit on the strict side, but if it makes him feel comfortable I don't have any problem with it.  Cost is $35, and the class is usually from noon til 4 p.m. (according to the secretary in the front office).

Anyway, I'm really happy I was able to "pass inspection" so to speak.  It was a lot less intense than I thought it would be, so if any Story Co. residents are on the fence about applying, and you feel you have a genuine "reason" to arm yourself (i'm just using the SCSO's words now ) go ahead and schedule an appointment.

Hell you could always use the reason I did, seemed to work for me.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#1]
too bad we all have to lick balls to get a permit for the rights set forth over 200 years ago...  i know this is law today, so i'll have to obey it, but i will welcome a change in the right direction.

-septic tank

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty much, except Polk county is pretty cakey.  Take a class (you have to really suck and be stupid to fail) and it's yours.  Cost is higher but you don't have to go through the interwiew process.
When I lived in Storm Lake it was a lot more difficult to get.  The funny/scary thing is that the officer who taught it was the same one I had gotten into a little trouble with as a minor.  Nothing big or bad but I thought for sure he was going to recognize me.hinking.gif  

On a side note I really don't have a problem with proficiency training.  I feel with all the idiots around that some people should definitely NOT own firearms, and if you never have owned or handled one you should have to take a class to learn.  With all the heat on us "gun nuts" all the time, I believe this would help our cause.  There is nothing more scary than being on the line with some dangerous idiot.  I had too many close calls with some of my friends I used to go shooting with.  I tried to teach them to be safe but they couldn't grasp, safety on and finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.  I almost had my knee blown off by my own gun! You can never be too safe.

Congratulations on the success with the Sheriff!!  

Happy Packing!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On a side note I really don't have a problem with proficiency training.  

+1

i think if you're going to carry you should be able to prove to some entity that in fact you, CAN actually carry correctly and responsibly.

i'm concerned primarily with "may" issue clauses and "shall" issues clauses...  i'm also not an advocate of the individual county issuance method.  

i hope things get cleared up.  right now it looks like a political b.s. session and a popularity contest...  

-septic tank
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i'm concerned primarily with "may" issue clauses and "shall" issues clauses...  i'm also not an advocate of the individual county issuance method.  
-septic tank

+1. Your "rights" are granted or denied at the ballot box. (New Sheriff in town). Worked out great for Polk Co. a few years ago. It could go the other way just as easy though. Congrats on the CCW ArmedFerret.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

-septic tank

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
 "He also said he affixes a stamp to the permit that disallows concealed carry in any establishment that serves alcohol."

just for your info all civilian carry permits in Iowa have this printed directly on the forms provided to the Sheriff by the state.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
 "He also said he affixes a stamp to the permit that disallows concealed carry in any establishment that serves alcohol."

just for your info all civilian carry permits in Iowa have this printed directly on the forms provided to the Sheriff by the state.

As far as I know my only limitations are if I am under the influence of booze or drugs.  So I can take it to the restaurant with me as long as I am not consuming any alcohol.  I am in Polk County.
When I lived in Storm Lake I could not carry in establishments that served or sold alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
the alcohol portion is basically up to each county's sherriff to make the decision--some will say can't carry after consuming, others will say you can't even carry to a place where you could consume.

it's just another inconvenience and inconsistency across the state, but for those who disallow carrying anywhere it's served, i can understand the thought process that leads to that decision, and yes i can understand that they have the public's safety as the first priority when they state it.  basically if you're not allowed to carry to a bar or other licensed liquor sales establishment at all, then there's no way you can "forget you were carrying" and end up getting drunk with a firearm on you, increasing the potential for bad things to happen (yes, when i was in college i got a bit more bulletproof when i got happy--it's very common ).  what i see it as, is that a lawyer probably told them this was the best way to avoid potential problems involving alcohol.  i'm sure it's never happened, and those who take CCW seriously will always make sure it never happens to them.  do i agree with the policy?  eh, probably not.  if i'm going out with the guys and i'm the driver (hence only coke for me to drink) i'd like for nothing more than to be able to defend the group if an altercation should occur.  human nature being what it is, the driver often ends up having one or two as well--so, although i'd like to see it done differently, i can understand the thought process that leads to the "no carry anywhere alcohol is served" decision.  i personally may not agree with it, but until the next election there's really nothing I can personally do to change it (as we've seen in the past with several letters of persuasion written and no action taken).
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top