Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2011 12:36:05 PM EDT
Looking for three choices:
1) Your #1, money no object

2) What you have, if not your #1

3) The least that you would put up with

TITN {Those In The kNow}, your input is always appreciated and noted.

EDIT:  You can even scope it for me w/reticle choice {F Class 600, 1000}
BUT!!! It has to be a NightForce.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You just want it for Fclass 600, 1000?  Or you going to do "other" things with it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for three choices:
1) Your #1, money no object

2) What you have, if not your #1

3) The least that you would put up with

TITN {Those In The kNow}, your input is always appreciated and noted.

EDIT:  You can even scope it for me w/reticle choice {F Class 600, 1000}
BUT!!! It has to be a NightForce.

1. AI AX Chassis

2. McMillan HTG

3. Something from McMillan or Manners that fit my application.

I, too, have a 5-R and #2 is what I did. I hunt with the rifle as well as shoot longer distances so an HTG fit the bill perfectly. All of the AI chassis systems are nice but I did not want one for hunting. What do you want to do with the rifle?

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You just want it for Fclass 600, 1000?  Or you going to do "other" things with it?

Thinking of getting my feet wet with an out-of-the box MS R5 with only
a stock upgrade at this time.

EDIT: In the '80s, I was never aggravated by the McMillan A1.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  Manners Composite Stocks T2A.  The angled bottom to the stock allows it ride a rear bag really well, and you can use it to make elevation adjustments for Natural Point of Aim.  Manners Composite Stocks .  I like 'em with the added weight of the "Sniper fill".  If you ask for it during the build, they know what to do.

2.  McMillan A5 (got it before Manners came out with the above).  Great stock, but I prefer the angled bottom of the buttstock on the Manners T2A to the butt hook on the McM A5.

3.  My recommendation is to mod the stock you have an see how you like it, before spending a lot of money.  Add weight to it and install an adjustable cheekpiece.  I like to have them texture coated as well, but that's me.  If you wanna try this route, and need help, give me a holler.  I can either walk you through it or do all of it for you.  I've done a ton of 'em.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1.  Manners Composite Stocks T2A.  The angled bottom to the stock allows it ride a rear bag really well, and you can use it to make elevation adjustments for Natural Point of Aim.  Manners Composite Stocks .  I like 'em with the added weight of the "Sniper fill".  If you ask for it during the build, they know what to do.

2.  McMillan A5 (got it before Manners came out with the above).  Great stock, but I prefer the angled bottom of the buttstock on the Manners T2A to the butt hook on the McM A5.

3.  My recommendation is to mod the stock you have an see how you like it, before spending a lot of money.  Add weight to it and install an adjustable cheekpiece.  I like to have them texture coated as well, but that's me.  If you wanna try this route, and need help, give me a holler.  I can either walk you through it or do all of it for you.  I've done a ton of 'em.

Shep,

I read about the T2A and fell in love with it.  I don't have a problem with
the price tag.  EDIT: I don't have to put my hands on it, I'm sold.

But, would I be better off grabbing a SPS and sell the barrel, get a 24" Bartlein mated  and a T2A?

Are the SPS and MS 5R receivers that different?

The cost of the T2A got me thinking of how to go sub $2K before glass.

BTW, your glass input is expected.  

MuXi115,

I like the way you think.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
1) Manners T4A in OD Green with MCS-DBM mini chassis, 2 flush cup swivel bases, and an atlas bipod rail.
2) Tie between AICS 2.0 (green) and McMillan A4 (woodland camo) Have both and love them.
3) HS Precision (5R or Police model)

All these with a Vortex Razor HD. Great scope.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

3) HS Precision (5R or Police model)

This brings up a good point: OP - you do know that the 5-R comes in an HS Precision stock, right? It's not as nice as a lot of others out there, but there's nothing wrong with it that a bedding job and Karsten cheek riser can't fix. It gives you a good start so you can go ahead and buy good glass. I'm a big fan of Nightforce as the high end euro optics are out of my budget. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top