Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 1:38:51 AM EDT
So for those of you who have the Spur, you probably appreciate the ability to use all of the AR-15 functions without having to reposition your hand or get an ambi safety.  You also probably realize how darn difficult it is to hold onto your gun without constant use of your other hand.

In an attempt to remedy this I ordered a 5x7" sheet of the rubberized material from Talon Grips (Product ID: 998).  For those of you who don't know, Talon Grips makes an awesome product and specializes in pre-cut grip overlays for pistols.  There currently isn't a pre-cut overlay for the Spur so I decided to make (my brother make) my own.  Supposedly you can call the guys at TG and have them make custom one-offs for you but I have never tried this myself.

Shipping was fast and the product was flawless.  In addition to your material, alcohol pad, and invoice, you also get a sticker.  I know we all love stickers.  They also hand sign each invoice thanking you by name for your order.  This is a nice touch that I appreciated.

The original plan was to try to make the overlay all one piece.  This proved to be overly complicated so my brother and I opted to go with a 3 piece design.  By using a piece of paper to trace along the Spur we ended up with something like this:

To install the material you are supposed to use the supplied alcohol pad to remove and oils from the surface of your Spur.  I personally recommend you get yourself a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the surface with a paper towel and then use the smaller supplied cloth pad to remove any white specs left behind by the paper towel.  You will then obviously want to avoid touching where you will be applying the material from this point on.

Using our stencil we cut out the proper shapes and applied them to the Spur.  We did the two sides first and then used an exacto-knife to fit in the slightly funky middle piece.  The adhesive is part of the material like grip tape and no additional adhesive is required.

After you have your adhesive in place the next step is to heat it with a hair dryer on high and massage the rubber grip onto the Spur.  You will want to work out any bubbles and thoroughly go over all the material.  Be sure to pay special attention to the edges and working it into the checkering.  Repeat this three times or so allowing it to cool in between.  THIS STEP IS THE MOST IMPORTANT!  If you do not sufficiently work the material onto the grip it can peel off.  The adhesive needs the heat to form a proper bond!

Your end result should look something like this:

FIELD REPORT:

After letting it sit for a day I took my gun out shooting in the rain for 2 hours.  The improvement is noticeable right away.  Dry and wet it performed phenomenally better than the original slippery plastic and side checkering.  It is showing ZERO signs of peeling despite being soaked.  The only thing I noticed is that it felt more grippy to my bare hand than it did wearing gloves.  I believe that is because the rubberized grip is designed for conceal carried pistols that typically would not see a gloved hand.  Talon Grips also offers a grittier sand paper type material but I opted for the rubber.  I personally don't consider this a negative thing as I am usually a bare hand shooter and it didn't feel horrible with the gloves, just not as good as with bare hands.

I highly recommend this mod if you have a Spur.  Took about half an hour to do with the help of my brother who did it once before on a pistol.  Also if you use the code TotalFT25 before the end of November you will get 25% off your purchase!  And shipping is free!  This brought my 5x7" sheet from $9.99 to only $7.49 and I have plenty of material left over!  What a steal!

I hope you enjoyed this write-up.  Happy shooting and as always, FUAC!

-Josh

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Necessity is the mother of invention. FUAC!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice job.  Stippling with a wood burner also works well.  
FUAC
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I want to have T-shirts made up saying "We've cut out grips, but not our (middle) fingers."  
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you've done an excellent job.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the compliments! I think it came out pretty well too. I also think it improves the look a bit too although I do miss my Magpul Moe+ grip.  I have a couple more ideas on how to improve the Spur that I will toy with in the near future.  I'll be sure to post up the results of my tinkering.  For now I highly encourage this mod for the Spur guys. It is a night and day difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top