Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2006 6:11:48 AM EDT
Since it's a fact of life that we can't have adult conversations in this place, here is a duplicate thread with my question about the AUG.

Can someone tell me what allure the Steyr AUG possesses?

I got to look one over at a local gunshop and wasn't thrilled.  It didn't jump up and say, "Damn, this is a carbine I have to have..."

If this turns into a pissing match I'll ask that it be locked and trashed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried one out before.  It was one of the first rifles with an integrated optic, it is compact and handy.  I didn't like the trigger.  They're ok.  Besides, they look cool.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I never got the hype either,

I got to put a few rounds thru one when they first became available back in the early  80's (?),,
neat optics, funky trigger, and IIRC selling for around $800 back then,,

while it looked neat, I felt no urge to buy one,
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Trigger not so great.

BUT, the cool factor is definately there + it's compact size considering it sports a 20" barrel is a plus as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
To answer the question, the alure of this thing pre 1989:

-quick change barrel that allowed:

-16" entry length

-20" Standard rifle length

-Extended "sniper" or these days "designated marksman" length barrel

Could be swapped out in a few seconds. Neat feature. Needed? Not by me.

Another factor influencing sales of the pre '89 guns was the integrated optic.  With the advent of IPSC 3 gun, the military has figured out how much faster a battle rifle with a dot can be than with open sights.  They also figured out that in combat, faster = more effective. Hence, the prevelence of dot-sighted M4s in Iraq and Afganistan.  The AUG had a crude version of such a sight in the early 1980s.  Now, almost everything can be fit with such an optic.  The AUG is not so special anymore.

The clear waffle mags were another feature, that some have copied (Sig 550 series) but is not a "necessary" feature IMHO. Our guys in Iraq are not using them, for example.  AK's have a "witness hole" that tells you if the mag is full.  It is enough I think.

Post 89: Factor was: could no longer import them.  Exclusivity in other words.  

Now that it is lighter, I am planning on buying the new Sig 556. It is apparently extremely accurate. That is what maters to me - along with reliability.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since it's a fact of life that we can't have adult conversations in this place...

I agree with everybody's comments thus far.  I also found the balance was awkward.  But this might be just because I'm used to an AR platform.

I'd like to also add that maybe there is a mystique attached to them because of it's European origination.  A similar inference can be made about cars: Volvo, BMW, SAAB, Audi, etc.  Americans are drawn to that mystique.

Personally, I don't want any guns that I cannot easily, very easily, get parts for.  So as much as I'm drawn towards another European designed carbine, the HK SL8-1, I won't buy one strictly for this reason.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Allure ? I considermyself a gun collector (as well as a shooter) Its a unique piece and has a place in firearms history. There are alot of "crappy" guns I'd like , would almost kill for a real Chauchat.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
As a lefty, I have always been intrigued with the idea of a bullpup. Long barrel performance in a short package, but there are few that are friendly for a lefty.

Explains my fascination with the AUG, FS2000, and PS90.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree.   not interested.  not in the flat top, not int he redesign, period.  adn that was before they sold guns to people who would kill me without thinking with them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me what allure the Steyr AUG possesses?

Why do people use SBRs?   A bullpup like the AUG gives you carbine performance in a SBR length package...  (If you're asking why an AUG over other bullpups, I dunno, maybe it just sucks less than other bullpups?).
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why do people use SBRs?

...in ninja school that's what they teach you to use.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...but there are few that are friendly for a lefty.

+1.  I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.

Quoted:
Its a unique piece and has a place in firearms history.

Agreed.  But only in pre-Bush ban configuration.  The collectability factor doesn't apply to the rumored American made model.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I like them, but i'm not going to 3K and up for one.
I like them because:
1) They look cool
2) See above
3) Integral optic in carry handle
4) When I shot one I found it accurate, light recoil, and alot of fun.
YMMV
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I agree.   not interested.  not in the flat top, not int he redesign, period.  adn that was before they sold guns to people who would kill me without thinking with them.

I hope you don't own an AK, following that last line of reasoning...

I think they're really cool looking, very compact, integrated optic (both before they were 'hip'), but I haven't shot one. If I knew someone who had one, I'd definitely want to try it out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Um if I remember correctly we sold quite a bit of arms to iraq in the 80s and so did russia. I just find it funny that there ar sanctions now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Its a unique piece and has a place in firearms history.

Agreed.  But only in pre-Bush ban configuration.  The collectability factor doesn't apply to the rumored American made model.

Absolutely, this is why I am not hot over the SIG 556
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top