Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2004 10:10:07 AM EDT
Hi,

When I got my C&R license, I worked with Sgt. Price and he asked me to give him some information on my storage facilities and such, which I did.  We discussed CLEO signoff by Barnett Jones for NFA and at the time he said I should go through him when I want it and it is typically provided in this city.

Now, I'm initiating a purchase.  Sgt. Price is retired, I have discovered, and I was given a contact, Sgt. O'Reilly.  I am waiting for a call back from him to confirm that I can expect everything to run smoothly on my SMG purchase (S&W 76).

Anyone in Sterling Heights know the current climate for getting the signoff, and who was your contact?

Thanks,

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know but I'd be interested in finding out. Been looking for a 76 myself and live in SH
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in Mt. Clemens and have a S&W76 myself.  I had no problem.  Oakland County is not a gun friendly from my friends experiences.  I hope it works out though.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What are 76s going for now anyway?  Seems like they and other C&Rs have jumped significantly in the last year.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I am starting to see them in the 6K range though I have seen them cheaper. I wish I could afford to start the buying proccess on one myself. I find it hard to believe that when I first started looking to buy a full auto a year ago that they could be found for less than 4K.

A 2K rise in asking prices in a year? Man, I wish I would have gotten into this 10 years ago.

Dr. Dremel, nice to see you over here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
6K is too rich for me, I might be able to rationalize 3-4K, but not that much. Too bad I didn't get into this along time ago.  Prices will never go down again.

BTW, Dr Dremel, Sterling Hts is in Macomb Co.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Correction to my old information -- Sgt. Reilly, no O' on the beginning of the name.  I have not yet had direct contact with him but I was in the station Friday and was told that I should drop off a photocopy of the paperwork so they can inspect it and then they will call me when they want me to bring in the originals for a signoff.

S&W 76s are generally not available for less than $6,000 now.  There has been a huge jump mainly because it's the most undervalued subgun in the range.  I too could have had them cheaper, and I'm not waiting any longer, because there is only going to be future adjustment upwards.  It's a fine gun and for C&R only states the value is very good for the price you pay in the subgun market.

Mine was fairly priced but comes with 12 original S&W magazines, no conversions.  I see that as $1,200 worth of freebies, so with that and the dealer paying my transfer fee, I'm feeling very, very good.

There are a few cool accessories now.  A machine shop has taken up the cause of making aftermarket parts, and we have a few cool things.  There are aftermarket barrels in the original length and 16" as well, and they'll custom make whatever you like.  There is a AR15 stock adapter.  So it's starting to get some attention.  And attention does drive prices upwards.

I believe a 144rd. Drum is getting ready for production now thanks to the sunset of the AWB.  Finally, there is a company being urged to bring a 22LR conversion kit to market (or, so I have heard, because I can't imagine it.  But trust me, I'll own it if ever available.)

I will let everyone know if I have a signoff problem in my city, but more or less expect me to show up with it around Christmas! (The perfect gift!)

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Could you post your aftermarket part source. The 76 is the only NFA C&R fire arm I really like and I probable will never have one. Dues anyone now if the Grand Rapids Sheriff will sine the paper work?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#8]
You can go to the Macomb County Sheriff Dept for a CLEO sign off. That's where I did mine when I bought my Model 01. No problems, no hassle. Had it signed in 1 day. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up signed, and ready to send to BATF.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#9]
S&W 76 aftermarket parts are available from Scott Andrey Machine.  http://www.mysw76.com/76_parts.htm -- you can request him to send you a PDF catalog from that page.

72 & 144rd drums -- http://www.stonycreekarmory.com -- they make the drum, and connect it to various feed towers.  For the S&W 76 which you will not see on their web page (but they will make if you E-Mail them) they use the cheap Suomi mags for the feed tower.  In the photos it looks like they put 32 rounds of snap caps in the drum because once the drum is wound out there's no spring motion to feed the rounds up.  This seems a little strange to me.  I guess that's how you make a drum out of a stick.

And, for those not in the market for 76 mags, any 9mm stick fed gun they can make a drum feed for -- semi or full now that the AWBan is over.  You should see some of the silly Tec-9s they have on that page.  Really, that gun in my opinion has no personality at all, and dressed up it looks very, very funny.  Make sure to check out the Tec-9 with Thompson wood on it.  It's a real laugh.  The MP5 sights are a hoot as well.

Scott's catalog says he sometimes has 50 and 20 round stick magazines.  Any idea what these are based off?

For CLEO signoff, I am valid with the MC Sheriff?  I thought it had to be my city chief of police but I might as well get the sheriff if it's that easy.  Obviously if the Sheriff didn't think it was valid he'd be sending people through the local police.  That certainly sounds like the way to go!

Thanks,

-Dan

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Local Police Chief can sign. Local Sheriff can sign. Either one will work.

My local chief declined so I went to the Sheriff, he has signed twice for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top