Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2007 11:18:16 PM EDT
I was wondering what steps need to be taken in order to LEGALLY get a surpressor for my AR as well as how to own a AR with a under 16" barrel.  For the guys who have done it, what is the cost of everything and do you have to renew the forms each year or...?  Also, do you have to notify local law enforcement agencies or whoever when you are traveling with these items?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You will need to pay a $200 tax for the suppressor and a $200 tax for the SBR, it is one time and of course file the proper forms and wait for them to be returned to you. Then get the receiver engraved.

There are several on here that have done it, jim may chime in here shortly. you can contact Jensen Arms, they are a dealer on the site, there are others in Colorado.

ETA: bluker1 could also give you the info.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
for a suppressor you don't need to notify anyone about anything. for a sbr you must conyact the atf (fax) prior to going out of state. NEVER contact any local/in state LE about anything. CO allows possession of Class III firearms. it's no one's business what you carry. JUST make sure you have copies of your tax stamps for any NFA item with you when you have item in your car.
$200 per stamp to the feds . iF you do multipule items at 1 time you only need 1 set of finger prints and photo's. no renewal fees like a CCW
i have reduced color copies laminated i carry for each NFA item. and keep the originals secured at home.
contact alan www.machineguntours.com  he doesn't charge you a transfer fee for any NFA item UNLESS it's from a private out of state transfer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Find a class 3 dealer to get the suppressor, they will get you through the process.  For a short barreled rifle the paperwork is the same but a different form.  Basically you fill out the papers, take them to your sheriff to get signed, get fingerprinted while there, get some passport photos taken, send it all in with $200 and wait about a month.  Your suppressor dealer will call when they get the forms and you can go pick it up.  For an SBR you will get the approval mailed to you and you can then build your rifle.  Watch out, it's addictive!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#4]
For your SBR I would personally just buy a SBR reciever. Alan at www.machineguntours.com has SBR recievers in stock. He can also sell you a can he stocks several different brands.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
This is some great information.  I really appreciate it guys.  I really want to get into the SBR's and then attach a surpressor.  

Another question, do I need to have 2 tax stamps to own 2 rifles?  I am guessing yes, but hoping no!

As far as the fingerprints and everything do, what if I have a CCW, does that count or do I have to get them taken again either way for each new tax stamp item?

thanks again
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  

Another question, do I need to have 2 tax stamps to own 2 rifles?  I am guessing yes, but hoping no!

You have to pay the tax on each individual item.

Quoted:

As far as the fingerprints and everything do, what if I have a CCW, does that count or do I have to get them taken again either way for each new tax stamp item?

thanks again

You must submit finger prints each time you mail your forms to ATF.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
So to do this, I need to get an SBR lower on a form 4, get my tax stamp, get the paperwork done and fingerprints, and then I can own as many short uppers as I would like for 1 lower.
Did I get everything correct.  Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just want to make sure I do this all right the first time and don't get into any trouble for thinking something was okay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top