Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 8:26:58 AM EDT
I have only bought two cars since being here, both at dealerships, no extra legwork for me needed.

I am probably going to buy a pickup from a guy Monday.

Is it the same as back east?

1. Close the deal, and he signs the title over to you notarized.

2. Go to the DMV and they reissue a new title in the new owners name to you.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:31:18 AM EDT
Step 1.5 Emissions test may be required in affected areas for vehicles less than 25 years old.

No need for any notarization, either.

Otherwise, yes, that's about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
1.5 explains why he told me he had just the emissions test done and the tabs are good through next year.

I was wondering what the heck is this emissions test he speaks of.

No notary needed???

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:36:06 AM EDT
he has to report it sold to the dmv also
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:37:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:39:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ajm1911:
he has to report it sold to the dmv also

The seller is supposed to report the sale, but it is more for his own protection.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:42:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:
Cav - You missed a good time last night.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:44:37 AM EDT
SO a signed title and I go to DMV. Thats it.

Thanks!

1986 GMC S15 Long bed (Made in Shreveport). Looked good, no leaks. $400. I know the guy, second owner, I know the original owner too. Both of them drive like little old ladies.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:53:24 AM EDT
Don't forget the state's share, called "use tax" instead of "sales tax" in this case.  They'll ding you for the sales tax rate on the sale price.  Another $35 to Olympia....

The title should have a detachable section that the seller fills out and delivers to the DMV within 3 days, reporting the sale.  They sign the uppper portion of the title over to you, and you go to the DMV to get it transfered to you.  I highly suggest a "bill of sale" be created for the purchase.  It doesn't have to be complex, just a word doc saying what is being sold, who is selling and who is buying.  More CYA......
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:34:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Scollins:
Don't forget the state's share, called "use tax" instead of "sales tax" in this case.  They'll ding you for the sales tax rate on the sale price.  Another $35 to Olympia....

The title should have a detachable section that the seller fills out and delivers to the DMV within 3 days, reporting the sale.  They sign the uppper portion of the title over to you, and you go to the DMV to get it transfered to you.  I highly suggest a "bill of sale" be created for the purchase.  It doesn't have to be complex, just a word doc saying what is being sold, who is selling and who is buying.  More CYA......

Are you sure it is called Use Tax, I own a retail Biz and use tax is when you buy something wholesale tax free and then keep it for yourself, not a resale, its like a sales tax after the fact. At least in this case.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:45:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:05:35 PM EDT
dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/ExciseTax/RetailSales_UseTax/UseTax.pdf

It says Use Tax is due when goods are purchased from someone who is not authorized to collect sales tax.  Since CavVet's seller is likely not authorized to collect sales tax, CavVet will have to pay Use Tax when he registers the vehicle.

So, yes, the proper term is Use Tax.

What is scary about Washington State tax law is that we are supposed to report and pay Use Tax for anything we bought out of state, via mail order or the internet!  The example used in the above PDF uses skis, or a personal computer.  I'd like to see them enforce this....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
They have a form, never seen it , but rest assured they have a form to pay 'out of state purchases use tax'. If ya ever get bored fill out one a week on a couple bucks worth of stuff ya bought on ebay. :) "Just doing my part to make sure all govt employees stay busy."

As for the bill of sale, they will hit you with use tax @ 8% of the "fair market value", be sure to include what you paid for the vehicle and list any damage/faults it has i.e. not running /as is/for parts etc. . If the vehicle is way under under value due to damage etc, go to kelly blue book online www.kbb.org and print out a "fair market value" report listing the vehicle as "poor". I've run into this with the last 2 work vehicles I had, a surplused truck I bought at a State Auction, they wanted to collect sales tax on 2x what I had atually paid the State for the truck, and on a early 90's $1000 Toyota that had been in a couple minor wrecks, "Sir, theres nothing in the DMV database that says its been in an accident". The DMV was adamant my POS Toyota was worth $3000, but refused to buy it for $1500, heh. Ended up having to take pictures and a print out from KBB to them to verify that car wasnt worth more then I paid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:04:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER:

Originally Posted By CavVet:
No notary needed???

Never heard of one being needed.

Signed title is usually good to go.

Cav - You missed a good time last night.

Back in Kentucky whenever a vehicle was sold you had to have the title notarized. Since my father in law ran a junkyard and sold vehicles all the time he was always needing notary work done for him. I became a notary(i lived next door to him) whenever he'd sell a vehicle I'd walk over to his house, sign my name/stamp the title and collect $5.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:07:05 PM EDT
I happen to know someone who recently bought a $15k+ vehicle but reported the sale as $7k to the DMV.  All that was required was a signed affidavit from both the seller and the buyer.  Buyer saved over $1.5k in frivoulous taxes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:15:20 AM EDT
I think a notary is just optional.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:33:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By headpulper:
I happen to know someone who recently bought a $15k+ vehicle but reported the sale as $7k to the DMV.  All that was required was a signed affidavit from both the seller and the buyer.  Buyer saved over $1.5k in frivoulous taxes.

I was under the impression that they started taxing based on the bluebook value instead of the sales price for that very reason.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:13:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:18:40 AM EDT
If you import a car from out of state you need to take it to the state police for a vin check before you go to the DMV, as well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 9:25:31 PM EDT by headpulper]

Originally Posted By 2whiskeyP:

Originally Posted By headpulper:

I was under the impression that they started taxing based on the bluebook value instead of the sales price for that very reason.

That is true...unless the vehicle sold for less than that and you want to press the issue.  Then, there is a form to fill out and the waiver takes effect.  For example, we sold a (still) perfectly running vehicle to my wife's sister for 1$.  With the form filled out, no tax.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:21:36 PM EDT
1. Bring yo money.
2. Keep the Liberty running.
3. Complete the transaction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:28:11 PM EDT
I thought you guys repealed the motor vehicle sales tax a few years ago? Or was that just the exorbitant license fees?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:32:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Da_Bunny:
1. Bring yo money.
2. Keep the Liberty running.
3. Complete the transaction.

1. Closed the deal, he knocked a 100 off.

2. I may be headed in another direction.

3. Signed, sealed, delivered.

Nice little shit kicker for work and abuse. Now I can drop the Liberty off, and tell them I wont take it back until its fixed right.

Its never spent even a night in the shop, as I have had zero problems with it. But it now has developed this rattle, and I doubt they find it once I drop it off. No biggie, not fixed? Keep it!

Top Top