Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2018 8:40:59 AM EDT
I've done some looking and researching, but I know HTF's always have the best info so I thought I'd better ask!

I'm going to be in St. Louis on Saturday, June 30th on my way to Iowa to visit family. It's only a little out of the way, but I get to catch the Braves beat the Cards!

I'm looking at hotels for that night, an mostly looking at IHG (holiday inn's, crowne plaza, etc) hotels due to having a ton of points to use. Seems that the only one's with points rooms are either right by the airport and Earth City, or down near Fenton and Crestwood.

Any issues with these area?

Or should I just suck it up and spend the $ to stay closer to downtown and the ballpark for after game drinking and fun?

I'll probably Uber over to Social House Soulard before the game, and then back.

Appreciate any advice on hotels, and anything else. I'll probably end up staying in town Sunday Morning, and catching the afternoon game too before hitting the road.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If you value your car, your stuff, and your life, don't stay in or around downtown.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Head across the river to Collinsville, IL, or Fairview Heights, IL.  Only about 20 minutes from the ballpark, and not nearly the crime.

IL recognizes no CCW, but you can carry locked and loaded in the car, concealed.  Just dont step out of the car with it and get caught.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Id suggest paying the money and parking in a lot close to the statium.  Dont leave valuables in the car.  Unfortunately, St. Louis downtown is only active right before and directly after a cards (any sports) game. Then everyone clears out.  If you are headed to Iowa, after the game head west and stay anywhere west of I270.  but, dont stay north of 70 on 270.  Downtown st charles has alot of things happening by the river front.  areas to stay include Creve Couer, Ballwin, Chesterfield, St Charles, St Peters, Ofallon, Wentzville.

It is quite a shame that we have to warn people where to stay, but there are regularly stories on the evening news where a family is staying at a hotel, or visiting an attraction, and all their luggage/ valuables gets stolen along with their car.  The St. Louis politicians cant even figure out to police the touristy areas.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of those choices, I'd stay in Fenton or Earth City.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've stayed at both the Hilton at the Ballpark and the Union Station Hotel (Curio Collection by Hilton) to include overnight parking with no issues on multiple occasions.  Of course, these are both Hilton properties so you won't be able to use your points...

If you want to stay somewhere other than downtown and still drink in Soulard before/after the game, many of the bars in Soulard have shuttles to/from the game.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! I didn't think about looking across the river, and that may open up some options.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions! I didn't think about looking across the river, and that may open up some options.
View Quote
The Fairfield Inn is very nice, and right across the parking lot is one of the best Italian places you'll find.

The Sheridan is also very nice, and if you like sushi, Shogun, from what I understand, is the place to go in the area.

2 days from now will mark my 1 yr anniversary here in MO.  I used to live in Swansea, which is a stones throw south from Fairview Heights.  Both of those locations are going to be safe.  Collinsville also has some hotels, as they have an Expo Center.  Collinsville isn't nearly as nice as the Fairview Heights area, but should still be a safe place to sleep and wake up to your car still being there, unmolested.

ETA, if you stay in Fairview, you can take the Ghetto... I mean Metro Link directly to the ballpark.  There's a metro link station in Fairview.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Head across the river to Collinsville, IL, or Fairview Heights, IL.  Only about 20 minutes from the ballpark, and not nearly the crime.

IL recognizes no CCW, but you can carry locked and loaded in the car, concealed.  Just dont step out of the car with it and get caught.
View Quote
Please don't ever tell somebody to do anything in that shit state.  Don't forget, we can revoke your man card for that shit...we will let this one go this time.

But we are going to keep our eye on you now

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Op the towns mentioned are as far away from downtown as earth city is on the west side.  The immediate east side is well how should I say this, Mogadishu Bakaara Market?

You are going to Iowa so you'll need to back track west on 70 to 61 north.  Earth city is the best choice and you can go 5 minutes west over the MO river to historic downtown St. Charles for fun/drinks, etc.  Soulard is cool during the day but there's no fucking way I'm leaving my car anywhere near there during the night or walking around down there after a game without 2-3 other guys (not kids, not women).  Lets just say friends that live there routinely play "guess the caliber".

Do like every St. Louisian does, at 5pm evacuate the city after work.  at 7pm reenter the city to see the cardinals or Blues and park your car in a secure garage during the game, then after the game immediately hit the highway and retreat west or south.  We live in a very nice area overall and everyone is super cool, but we all have retreated to outside the 270 loop as our city has been lost and is doing it's best to outdo Detroit every day.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please don't ever tell somebody to do anything in that shit state.  Don't forget, we can revoke your man card for that shit...we will let this one go this time.

But we are going to keep our eye on you now

View Quote
Thanks, but since I'm a man, you don't get to tell me what to do.  If you want my man card.  Molon Labe
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Op the towns mentioned are as far away from downtown as earth city is on the west side.  The immediate east side is well how should I say this, Mogadishu Bakaara Market?

You are going to Iowa so you'll need to back track west on 70 to 61 north.  Earth city is the best choice and you can go 5 minutes west over the MO river to historic downtown St. Charles for fun/drinks, etc.  Soulard is cool during the day but there's no fucking way I'm leaving my car anywhere near there during the night or walking around down there after a game without 2-3 other guys (not kids, not women).  Lets just say friends that live there routinely play "guess the caliber".

Do like every St. Louisian does, at 5pm evacuate the city after work.  at 7pm reenter the city to see the cardinals or Blues and park your car in a secure garage during the game, then after the game immediately hit the highway and retreat west or south.  We live in a very nice area overall and everyone is super cool, but we all have retreated to outside the 270 loop as our city has been lost and is doing it's best to outdo Detroit every day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up booking a hotel in Earth city, it seemed the best for direction of travel, and ability to go to St. Charles. I plan on taking an Uber from the hotel to Soulard/stadium and back so not going to leave my vehicle around there at all.

How pricey are the secured garages? Big enough to fit a crew cab, 6.5' bed F-150? I am debating staying for the Sunday afternoon baseball game as well....
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I ended up booking a hotel in Earth city, it seemed the best for direction of travel, and ability to go to St. Charles. I plan on taking an Uber from the hotel to Soulard/stadium and back so not going to leave my vehicle around there at all.

How pricey are the secured garages? Big enough to fit a crew cab, 6.5' bed F-150? I am debating staying for the Sunday afternoon baseball game as well....
View Quote
Like $10-15?  not bad as open lot parking is the same during games, I have fit a Hummer H2 79" tall I think in a few of them and a 1500 ext cab 6.5ft bed Silverado in all of them no problem.  A F-150 will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Cross right over to St. Charles and the Embassy Suites at Hwy 94 exit.  Much safer and one of the nicest, if not highest rated, Embassy Suites.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Earth city is fine.  Just early city is corporate parks so not a lot of restaurants really close.  There are also locations in riverport and Westport that are ok.   Just FYI they have new holiday inn express in chesterfield.  Further west on i 70 is ofallon MO which is safe as well.  You have to look at your points for what you want.  For cards game I park at one of open air lots close to stadium.  Ballpark village has lot next to stadium.  Not the cheapest but I like that better then the parking decks.  Social house should have shuttles to games as well.   Day games should be ok but I wouldn’t leave anything valuable in car.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I stayed downtown at the Pear Tree last year for a game. It was nice they have a parking garage and they have a shuttle to the game as well. It wasn't terribly expensive. There is a little bar attached if you want drinks or some pub food. If I remember correctly there is an irish pub not too far down the street. I think it was Maggie O'Briens. Prices were decent and the food was pretty good. I recommend the bangers and mash.
I don't travel in to STL often so it might have changed. Hopefully this helps.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]
nope. i'm posting from my basement right now.

i don't make it to games often.
hoping to hit at least one this year but i'm not sure if its
gonna happen or not.

Link Posted: 7/2/2018 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are people here terrified of entering the I-270 loop. If it wasn't so sad, it'd be funny. Names like Kirkwood, Ladue, Affton, and Maplewood make their blood run cold...
View Quote
It's not that as we are all from those areas.  Is that we are not interested in visiting, living or spending our money in overbuilt, decaying (some of the areas) older suburban sprawl when you can drive 15-20 minutes more and live in brand new up and coming areas that are not surrounded by the red zone "hood" making everything east of 270 "yellow zone".  Close your eyes to it all you want but you cannot reverse the trend and it's getting worse by the day.  There's no advantage to living in St. Louis county anymore especially when every tax dollar you pay is being used against you.  Add to that the city and county WILL MERGE one day and you want to be long gone before that happens.  Cross the river, you'll spend less and get more everytime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top