Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 7:39:11 AM EDT
I have a pamphlet that is being handed out at my Courthouse that lists the states that accept my Virginia CCW.  However, packing.org and the State Police web sites all lists different states.  The states listed by this pamphlet inlcude:

Idaho, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, Penn, Wyoming, Tenn, West Virginia, North Carolina, Connecticut, Kentucky, Rhode Island, Vermont, Alakska, Arizona, Utah.  

Here are the states listed on the State Police web site:

Alaska, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Oklahoma, Utah

Any idea why there is so much varience?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the dates on the State website compared to the pamphlet.  A lot more states were added within the last year.  Other than that I have no idea.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
www.packing.org/state/virginia/
All of the states are listed on packing.org,as are their reciprocity status with every other state. Links to state police and other controlling authorities and legislation are also included as backup.
It's the CC super-database.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All of the states are listed on packing.org,as are their reciprocity status with every other state. Links to state police and other controlling authorities and legislation are also included as backup.

Thas is my point, packing.org's information is different than the Virginia SP web site and the pamphlet that my court house has been handing out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thas is my point, packing.org's information is different than the Virginia SP web site and the pamphlet that my court house has been handing out.

Yeah, but packing.org links to the legislation in the other states. What our Virignia courthouses say only applies to carry in Virginia.
I'd definitely go with what the other state's state police or other governing authorities say.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but packing.org links to the legislation in the other states. What our Virignia courthouses say only applies to carry in Virginia.
I'd definitely go with what the other state's state police or other governing authorities say.

My pamphlet was produced by the VASP and says; "The following are states that recognize the permits issued by Virginia and allow them to possess a firearm in their state"
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd still go with what the other states law enforcement groups say.
Virginia State Police info is gold as far as carrying in VA, but I wouldn't trust their info past Virginia borders.
The discrepancy is intriguing though. You may want to ask the VSP concealed carry guy- Robert Kemmler (sp?) why the discrepancy exists on VSP marked literature. I think his contact info is on the VSP concealed carry section of their website.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd still go with what the other states law enforcement groups say.

You are 100%, before going to any or through any of the questionable states I will be calling that states State Police to make sure 100%.  I will also carry the pamphlet and a web site print out in my glove box.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a pamphlet that is being handed out at my Courthouse that lists the states that accept my Virginia CCW.  However, packing.org and the State Police web sites all lists different states.  The states listed by this pamphlet inlcude:

Idaho, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Indiana, Penn, Wyoming, Tenn, West Virginia, North Carolina, Connecticut, Kentucky, Rhode Island, Vermont, Alakska, Arizona, Utah.  

Alaska, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, West Virginia, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Oklahoma, Utah

CT and RI have no states listed as honoring their permits.  Somethin' aint right.

BTW, am I the only one who hates the new format at Packing.org?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BTW, am I the only one who hates the new format at Packing.org?

No,you're not. It's annoying. The old "USA Today" style format with large colorful graphics was a bit slow,but was pretty decent.
My only complaint on the old page was the slow load times for the VA gun talk page.
Oh well, it's Mr Solomon's sandbox. It's still the best page on the web for that sort of info.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Idaho, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Indiana(they recognize just about any state permit, even if the other state doesn't recognize theirs), Penn, Wyoming, Tenn, West Virginia, North Carolina(reciporcity went into effect last fall IIRC, but they do have reciprocity with us now), Connecticut, Kentucky, Rhode Island, VermontNo permit needed for anyone over 18. regardless of state of residence), AlakskaAlaska is the same as Vermont now, but they will still issue a permit for the sake of reciprocity), Arizona, Utah.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Does PA honor the VA permit???  I thought I had seen them listed somewhere but when I went to packing.org before starting my current project they weren't listed.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does PA honor the VA permit???  I thought I had seen them listed somewhere but when I went to packing.org before starting my current project they weren't listed.

No. As VA-gunnut said, we don't have reciprocity with PA. But, they will honor it as proof of reqired
training when you send in your application. You just make a copy of your VA permit, and send it
along with your other paperwork.

Go to Centre County's webpage, and you can download the application. I think mine too maybe two
weeks. Centre County
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

No. As VA-gunnut said, we don't have reciprocity with PA. But, they will honor it as proof of reqired
training when you send in your application. You just make a copy of your VA permit, and send it

Go to Centre County's webpage, and you can download the application. I think mine too maybe two
weeks. Centre County

That's good info to know. Thx
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

weeks. Centre County

Thanks, I'll try that.  When I was first assigned to the project I did some checking and saw what a PITA it can be to get the NR permit up there that I didn't thnk it'd be worth the effort.  But the project has been extended and it looks like I'll be going up there for at least a couple more months.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#16]
New Hampshire's non-resident permit is easy to obtain as well and will increase the number of states in which you can legally carry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to SC this week, and I'm pretty sure I cannot carry there (except in the glovebox, as allowed by their state law) with my VA permit. I checked the SC SLED website, and they do not list VA as a recognized permit.

VA recognizes the SC permit according to the VSP website - but SC has not reciprocated as yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top