Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2010 5:05:04 AM EDT
Has anybody ever been to the State game lands range in Chester County? It is off of route 345 on laurel rd. Thinking of taking a drive up today.

Is this the closest public range to Media? Not too familiar with the area. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the State Range List. You have to be careful if there are other people there, some of them are not so smart. Also, some of the ranges are shot to hell and are in bad shape because they either have not been maintained or they get allot of traffic.

The safety issue is one of the big reasons I am looking at joining a club.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been there a couple of times.  I havent had any major safety issues.  This range can get very crowded on good weather days, especially after 1600 week days, and all day on weekends.  Keep an eye out for the dumbasses that show up occasionally.  Its not my favorite place to shoot, but you can get zeroed here.  

If you can, shoot on a rainy day.  The place will be a mud hole, but every time I do I have the place to myself.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have posted about the SGL 043 range many times in this forum.  Unless you go on a weekday, far outside of hunting season, it's a no-go in my book.

Weren't you checking out SCCSFA just a few weeks ago?  That's closer, better, and safer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 5:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Weren't you checking out SCCSFA just a few weeks ago?  That's closer, better, and safer.

That would be my recommendation as well.  I am a member at SCCFSA and it is a good range.  Too many safety concerns at public ranges.  Once we had a guy point a Sig handgun at us in an attempt to show us (in a friendly manner) "how they were taught to shoot in the Navy".  I hope our Navy isn't teaching people that kind of "safety".  

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont forget the guy in central pa that was killed for his weapon  at a state range.    Also it  as was told to me by the deer police  "I hope thats not a loaded pistol on your hip cause, you can be fined for having a loaded weapon past the line of fire,   How many bullets you got in that clip cause I can ticket ya for that too."     Private club is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Dont forget the guy in central pa that was killed for his weapon  at a state range.    Also it  as was told to me by the deer police  "I hope thats not a loaded pistol on your hip cause, you can be fined for having a loaded weapon past the line of fire,   How many bullets you got in that clip cause I can ticket ya for that too."     Private club is the only way to go.

Some of the people that run those places make me go

At Scotia, there's one guy that's real nice and we thank him all the time for keeping the range so nice. The other day I ran into this real tool that works there. Apparently you aren't allowed to shoot stationary clays with a shotgun . I built stands to hold them to practice for 3gun matches. When you shot the clay it pretty much is non-existent afterward and they are bio-degradable clays as well. I really don't see the problem.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I was stationed in MD, I used to go to that range where the guy was killed every weekend. It always seemed like a nice place, with general decent people. I spent a hell of a lot of time there. The PGC officers at that range mostly seemed decent. They did like to hide in the woods in camo to watch for violations though, at least some of them.

If you have a PA LTCF, you're definitely good to go to carry a loaded pistol with however many rounds you want on the PGC ranges. As of maybe two years ago, the LTCF and right to carry superseded the game laws.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I did not hear about the killing at the range, so I looked it up, and surprise suprise.......Correctional Guards charged in shooting of Todd Getgen

Aint that a kick in the nuts....I hope they get the death penalty.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was stationed in MD, I used to go to that range where the guy was killed every weekend. It always seemed like a nice place, with general decent people. I spent a hell of a lot of time there. The PGC officers at that range mostly seemed decent. They did like to hide in the woods in camo to watch for violations though, at least some of them.

If you have a PA LTCF, you're definitely good to go to carry a loaded pistol with however many rounds you want on the PGC ranges. As of maybe two years ago, the LTCF and right to carry superseded the game laws.

I don't want to argue but I think you're wrong on this. Anyone else have info on this?

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want to argue but I think you're wrong on this. Anyone else have info on this?

Keep in mind I said carry, not shoot.

Just like it used to be I couldn't carry a loaded semi-auto pistol with me while deer hunting in PA. But with a LTCF, now I can.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind I said carry, not shoot.

Just like it used to be I couldn't carry a loaded semi-auto pistol with me while deer hunting in PA. But with a LTCF, now I can.

I understand what you are saying and I hope you are right. I just know that range rules say no loaded firearms away from firing line. I carry mine there but eject the mag and round and keep the mag in my back pocket.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have posted about the SGL 043 range many times in this forum.  Unless you go on a weekday, far outside of hunting season, it's a no-go in my book.

I was checking out a few clubs in the area. My funding has been cut as of late and I was wondering what these "state" ranges were like. The amount of information I get from you guys is always impressive so I thought I would field the question here.

I did hear about the gentleman who was shot at one of these ranges. Prayers out to his family.

Now it turns out I might be moving up towards Bucks County (hence the cuts in funding). I have been looking to purchase a home and found a few that are in my range up there. Maybe next year I can splurge for LRGC

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#13]
The GF and I drove nearly 2 hours to check out a public range, only to find a hoard of mouth-breathers standing in line to shoot their tapcofucked SKSs. The mosquitoes were terrible and then I saw a sign that said only 5rds were allowed in any magazines, and I had brought six 30rd AR mags.

FUCK THAT.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The GF and I drove nearly 2 hours to check out a public range, only to find a hoard of mouth-breathers standing in line to shoot their tapcofucked SKSs. The mosquitoes were terrible and then I saw a sign that said only 5rds were allowed in any magazines, and I had brought six 30rd AR mags.

FUCK THAT.

You sure it was 5 rounds? Every game lands range I know of has a limit of 3 at the rifle range and 6 at the handgun range.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK THAT.

You sure it was 5 rounds? Every game lands range I know of has a limit of 3 at the rifle range and 6 at the handgun range.

I couldn't remember if it was 3 or 5. It must have been 3 then.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep.

I can live with 6 rounds in a handgun mag if I have to. But 3 rounds in a rifle mag is ridiculous. If I'm shooting a .22, I sure get tired of reloading mags every 15 seconds.

This is why when I used to use a PGC range on a weekly basis, I spent 98% of my time on the pistol range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#17]
At some of the PGC ranges, they've changed the pistol magazine capacity rules again AND (worse) they've bulldozed the pistol berm.  The SGL 043 range near French Creek has just the main 100yd berm and the pistol range (all the way to the right) now was just a 50yd berm.  I was there a few months ago, so this may have changed again.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At some of the PGC ranges, they've changed the pistol magazine capacity rules again AND (worse) they've bulldozed the pistol berm.  The SGL 043 range near French Creek has just the main 100yd berm and the pistol range (all the way to the right) now was just a 50yd berm.  I was there a few months ago, so this may have changed again.

Changed the pistol capacity rules to what?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At some of the PGC ranges, they've changed the pistol magazine capacity rules again AND (worse) they've bulldozed the pistol berm. The SGL 043 range near French Creek has just the main 100yd berm and the pistol range (all the way to the right) now was just a 50yd berm. I was there a few months ago, so this may have changed again.

Can't remember - it was months ago.  I had mentioned it to another friend and he said that he noticed a change to the pistol rules at another PGC range in NEPA as well.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I was last there in July.

At SGL 43, on the paper taped to the bench that has to do with the capacity of handguns, they have the "6" crossed out with a 3 written next to it.

Stupid rules and a lot of stupid people.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At SGL 43, on the paper taped to the bench that has to do with the capacity of handguns, they have the "6" crossed out with a 3 written next to it.

Hope that was just someone screwing around. That's absolutely ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:34:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's on every bench, so I don't know what to think.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#23]
As I mentioned, a friend found the same at another PGC range in NEPA.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's on every bench, so I don't know what to think.

Last time I was there it was just the rifle and pistol range. I used to shoot trap there but I can't since they closed that due to people being stupid and leaving shit everywhere. Trying to join a public club now, gonna check out SCCFSA on their open house day. It's a shame, I really have the itch to shoot trap today and can't
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#25]
"The life you save by not going to SGL 043 might be your own."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yep.

I can live with 6 rounds in a handgun mag if I have to. But 3 rounds in a rifle mag is ridiculous. If I'm shooting a .22, I sure get tired of reloading mags every 15 seconds.

This is why when I used to use a PGC range on a weekly basis, I spent 98% of my time on the pistol range.

I once met a fellow Arfomer - forget his name - that came with a box full of 30 round magazine with only 3 rounds per magazine.  That was interesting.

Of course the rules don't prevent me from loading up one of my Bolt Action rifles and reloading after every single shot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep.

I once met a fellow Arfomer - forget his name - that came with a box full of 30 round magazine with only 3 rounds per magazine.  That was interesting.  

Of course the rules don't prevent me from loading up one of my Bolt Action rifles and reloading after every single shot.

When I used to go to the PGC range near Carlisle all the time, I was frequently practicing for my first USPSA shoot. I used to load up 3-5 six round pistol mags, put up three papers, shoot two per paper down the line, reload, and go through the 18 to 30 rounds like that. The 6 round rule just helped me get used to mag changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top