Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2021 8:56:50 AM EDT
My wife and I are currently planning to make a move to WI for a number of reasons, but primarily to be closer to family and be in the Midwest. We are mostly looking @ the Appleton area as it is large enough to have jobs and the housing still seems reasonable. Politics are not a primary concern, but they do have a bit to do with how much I would like an area. It looks like the counties there are mostly red to pink? My wife is an accountant and I am in I.T. and we are both used to winter and in a sick way we miss it.  So what is the state of the state and how are things looking?

Is the state starting to re-open from Covid or are there still lockdowns
Are schools back in-person (I dont have kids)
Any shortages on groceries or supplies
Are taxes getting stupid and out of control
Are more people moving in or out of the state
Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the answers to those questions will vary by area they apply to.

I live in the far north-central part (Vilas County).

The only shortages here are like elsewhere... ammo & reloading supplies. Some stuff at hardware stores & home centers must be hard for them to get, as I've noticed some empty shelves in electrical supplies and plumbing lately, while I'm in the midst of a remodel to part of my house. Last week I needed a ceiling mount electrical box for "old work", and both Menards and Home Depot were out of stock, but Ace hardware had some.

My property taxes have been stable for 20 years. They haven't varied more than $200 up or down, since we bought the house in 1991. But I did notice the "fair market value" on my tax statement has increased by $20K in just the past year. Which makes sense, as the real estate market is "hot" up here. A good house at a fair price is sold in under a week, according to a realtor friend. Some listings sell on the same day they hit the market, and for more than the listing price when a bidding war breaks out. There are far more "moving in" than "moving out" of the area.  

Our schools have been "in person" from the very beginning. One reason is, going to "virtual" schooling would be impossible here, as high speed internet isn't available everywhere. Only to those in towns, or very close by one. Out in the boonies, there actually are still people with dial-up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is the state starting to re-open from Covid or are there still lockdowns
Are schools back in-person (I dont have kids)
Any shortages on groceries or supplies
Are taxes getting stupid and out of control
Are more people moving in or out of the state
Anything else I should be aware of?
View Quote

Lockdown is kinda dependent on the individual business. WI supreme court recently struck down Ever's mask mandate. But for the most part, things in the Fox Valley are open, restaurants allow sit down, and quite a few places are maskless (not mandatory).
In Oshkosh schools are back in person, I THINK Appleton is as well? But not 100% sure.
No shortages that are unique to the area.
I feel like property taxes in the Fox Valley are way higher than they should be. I came from the South Bend, IN area so similar size town in the Midwest, and property tax for a comparable house is a good 3x higher than in IN.
Lots of people moving in to the state. Oshkosh Defense, Mercury Marine, and other big companies have been expanding. Housing prices are through the roof. At least in Oshkosh, a $200k house in 2013 sells for damn near $300 now, but that seems to be cooling off.

One thing to note....Appleton seems to be more "progressive" than the other Fox Valley cities, if that means anything to you. They had quite a few protests last summer, although they were mostly peaceful (without the air quotes), and quite a few BLM flags flying at houses and businesses. We go up to Appleton pretty much every weekend though and have never had an issue. Then again, we stay very low key. Not exactly wearing a MAGA hat around town.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Lockdown?  What is that?  I don't think there is a shortage of jobs in many areas of the state
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with the house hunt. If you're looking at the Appleton area, Greenville and Hortonville are pretty nice.
No lockdown, everywhere I go is open business as usual. No shortages that I can tell but the best grocery store in the area are a bunch of mask nazis still. Taxes and population seem stable enough to not be noteworthy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Liberals are taking over. Out of state sheeple are taking over.

Taxes are going up yearly. Taxes 10 years ago where $1600 now 3k.

Housing prices are through the roof. Neighbors place sold for 70k 20 years ago just sold for 225k. People where fighting over it. 5 acres half swamp with 30 year prefab double wide. No garage, driveway underwater most the year.

Housing development around every corner.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Taxes are going up yearly. Taxes 10 years ago where $1600 now 3k.

View Quote

When I bought my house in 1991, my property taxes were $1,380.

My property taxes for 2020 were $1,289. Same house, and I added a 36' x 36' pole barn in 1993.

They've been as high as $1,500 when a school referendum passed, and as low as $1,150 just 3 years ago.

If I were you, I'd move.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#7]
On Zillow I am seeing decent homes in the valley for @ 250K. They might be snapped up right away or BS listings IDK? Around here you cannot touch a home for under $320

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2208-Schaefer-Cir-Appleton-WI-54915/69797717_zpid/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top