Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2003 12:51:24 PM EDT
Congrats to FMJunkie, but why is Hiramranger still a mod here when he doesn't even have a presence here, while Hoplite is taken off the mod list and he does a lot for organizing the NY crew?  FMJ has every right to be here, but why didn't Hiram get switched off instead of Hoplite?

So what's the deal?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Balzac, I very much appreciate the congrats.  Thanks!  (and I will make every effort to continue to be deserving of the opportunity)

Beyond that, it seems I should remain neutral in this discussion...

(everyone please just refrain from personal attacks - my trigger finger isn't quite broken in yet...)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I guess it's congrats to FMjunkie although I really think this whole idea of deifying mods etc. is WAY overblown.  Being a mod is simply a volunteer position that exists to keep things civil and in line with board rules, nothing more.  Having said that why is Hoplite gone?  Did he voluntarily  leave the position or something else at work here once again?  Certainly there is room here in NY for several mods and I hope his absence is of his doing and if not I would like a full explanation of why he is no longer a mod here.

thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
this is ridiculous,What did Tom do now?

Its prolly some petty thing like last time.
Its obvious that someone has a vendetta against Tom. I bet some crybaby got him booted.
Some of u Mods need to get a life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I heard about it. Apparently 1gunrunner is not required to abide by the rules of this board, he was placing for sale ads in the ny/nj forum against board rules. So, hoplite asked him to remove them, got no response after a few days and moved the 'for sale' message. Big gunrunner pulls his mod status for it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's what I heard about it. Apparently 1gunrunner is not required to abide by the rules of this board, he was placing for sale ads in the ny/nj forum against board rules. So, hoplite asked him to remove them, got no response after a few days and moved the 'for sale' message. Big gunrunner pulls his mod status for it.

Looks like Tom's getting hosed again!  Did Tom post anything on the boards or in public badmouthing GR?  I'm amazed that this crap is still going on, at least my prior suspicions about a vendetta are now confirmed.  Also explains the chat conversations I've seen.  Looks like a set up and a poor, VERY transparent one at that.  

One more question, was Tom right in removing the ads or did GR have staff approval?  Have staff upheld Tom's removal of the ads?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you still see the for sale posts??  :)

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do you still see the for sale posts??  :)

So then Tom's actions as a mod were vindicated, yet he was still removed????  Tell me that there's more to this and that Tom had some rant thread on here badmouthing a staff member.  It can't be this simple a case of a vendetta.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Tom is currently under the protection of Ed Sr!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
This is getting to be WAY too much like the Soprano's.  Why doesn't certain mods find a nice little island and declare themselves king and emperor and spend the rest of their days slapping each other on the back while extolling the  limitless power they command.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Again!!?? That's really below the belt to do. If someone is pissed at another for doing the right thing and wants payback, at least show the balls to do it instead of hiding behind the computer abusing powers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Greg, I visit this forum several times a day.  I often choose to keep a very low presence keeping in mind that many of the posts concern the activities of the LI crew, which I am neither involved with, nor can offer an intelligent insight on.

Just because I am not posting does not mean I am not here looking and reading.  You don't see many posts from me in GD anymore wither, does not mean I am not reading there.  By the way, very nice bling bling mobile.

I am not going to get drawn into another pissing match about Gunrunner and Hoplite.  I am simply here doing what I can to help Juan out.

Funny, I get jumped on when I participate in discussions and then again when I silently observe.  So Greg, why don't you tell me what role you would like me to play.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe you should have been the one to ask 1gun to remove the for sale ad instead of hoplite.. :)

I'm sure you had seen it monitoring this forum in stealth mode.. :)
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Mike, this wasn't a shot at you in any way, so don't take it as such.  However, this isn't a forum for passive activity.  This is the part of Arfcom where people get organized and mods proactively work to get people together.

To the BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE, nothing is truly happening up there by you.  However, we all know the contributions that Hoplite has made down here.  He's created a mailing list and constantly posts on the NY board about various activities, events and get togethers.  

This isn't about you not being fit, its about him being removed once again, just so we're on the same page!

And for the record, I don't see a problem with having more than 3 mods on a forum for multiple states anyway!  We should actually have 1 more NJ mod and 1 more NY mod.  Hoplite is that other NY mod!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Bullet, interesting point you raise.  No, I don't challenge staff on board policy.  Maybe I should start.  I guess I wrongly assumed that if it was going on that some type of exception to the policy had been made.  I've said what I am going to say on this.  Hope everyone is enjoying the rain.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Greg, thank you for the clarification.  You might recall that we had two semi-regional gatherings here in the past seven months.  Now my life is hell from around Jan 1 of each year through the legislative session...  I've never been shy about saying that.  My life is becoming a little more flexible now and I would like to start doing more.  If you all remember back, I had talked about doing a weekend shoot at my roommate's club this summer and asked who would be interested.  I got a tepid response about it being hot in the summer, vacation plans, etc.  I'm still hoping to do that maybe in the Fall when it is cooler.  We can get the entire club for a weekend, camping, shoots, nice clubhouse where the club will prepare meals for us, fishing...  If the interest is there, I'll run with it.

Now, you might want to take your map out and look at New York... You have half the states population in the size of maybe three upstate counties.  It is a heck of a lot easier to organize get togethers as you have a smaller geographic area and public clubs, i.e. rental ranges, which are unheard of up here.  I can't just show up with two dozen guests at my club unless we book it months in advance.  Logistics are not the same.

I hope that come Fall we can do a shoot, or in the very least another Albany weekend of fun and gales and good friendships.

I will also be glad to talk to Gunrunner and see about getting Hoppie back in.  I for one appreciate what he has done with you guys down there.  If it wasn;t so far away I'd love to come down for a Calverton shoot sometime!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh boy, it happened again?

I thought this site was formed of people with more balls than they are showing.

Without getting personal,  some of you mods are really making yourselves look like really assholes, either by remaining silence, by not explaining what is going on or by just going along with the flow, at the expense of a good fellow. Please do not be my friend, I do not need your type.

Tom is by far one of the best friends I have, even though the difference in age, (I could be his father) we treat each other like pals. I find him to be one heck of an honest person, with a lot of knowledge about firearms and always willing to help, whether in ARFCOM projects or personal stuff.

He is my friend and I am taking this personally. You F. with him you are F'ing not only with me, but with a whole bunch of the L.I. crew.

I hope someone shows some maturity and guts and brings this matter to a conclusion and stop the soap opera tactics, you pussy!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
That will do, I believe Ed Sr. said he was handling this.  That should be enough for all of you.  For shame!  If anybody questions Ed Sr. and his integrity is questioning me...  Got it?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Gods and monsters
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Ed,
I'm aware that Steve was a little sensitive about Tom's IM to him (use of smilie icon like TT uses) and that he immediately forwarded it to you.  Sorry, it seems childish and petty.  If anything, the IM or phone call to you about this issue should have been about whether the merchandise thread could have remained on the NY Forum, not about why Steve thought Tom was rubbing it in his face. (In addition to Steve's failure to answer the IM's regarding his "illegal" merchandise thread.)

As far as everything turning out fine, well I don't doubt you one bit!  But so far this has been at the expense of Tom and I'm not ok with that.  My opinion means shit and I understand that, but you can't have staff OPENLY declaring war on a mod, then using any petty means possible to go after them!

I'm just wondering why such an action would be allowed in light of this vendetta stricken relationship?  I'm just disgusted by the whole thing, mainly because I like both of them, but it is REALLY getting out of hand!  

Anyway, I trust you'll make sure it ends up ok, but please don't allow this childish crap to continue.  As you can see, it has ONCE AGAIN changed the mood of the NY forum and at our moderator's expense.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Gods and monsters

Mods and Monsters.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I know this is an emotional issue and I appreciate it.  I also know there is no secret here that Tom and I have had our differences in the past.  Despite that I value Hoplite's contribution to this forum.  Unfortunately there seems to be a major personality conflict between Steve and Tom and I don't see that working itself out anytime soon.  Now I for one put my trust in Ed Sr.  I don;t think there is a single person here who can question his honor or his fairness.  So I suggest we let him handle this and abide by whatever he says.

On a seperate note I would like to talk about the antagonism that seems to be rampant in this forum.  I think we are all better than that.  I don't think we need the personal attacks or the vulgarity.  I'm betting Steve would be more willing to come in here and give his side of the story if there was half of a chance that he would get a fair hearing.  Honestly, I don't think he would.  So if anybody is wondering why he is not here discussing this, well the blame partly falls with me as I recommended he not.  I can't see anything coming from that other than a pissing match of monumental proportions.

So once again, can we please let Ed Sr. sort this out?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 12:47:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So once again, can we please let Ed Sr. sort this out?[\red]

So, I turn my back and work a heavy overtime week, and this happens again?  I swear, I have to start locking the liquor cabinet....

Seriously though, before anybody asks, I have no idea who did what to who, It is being handled by El Cabro Viejo, so I'm putting on my helmet and waiting for the barrage to be over.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#25]

So, I turn my back and work a heavy overtime week, and this happens again?  I swear, I have to start locking the liquor cabinet....

Seriously though, before anybody asks, I have no idea who did what to who, It is being handled by El Cabro Viejo, so I'm putting on my helmet and waiting for the barrage to be over.  

Well its about friggin time you showed up...  Position surrounded, heavily outnumbered, send more bullets...

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Well its about friggin time you showed up...  Position surrounded, heavily outnumbered, send more bullets...

Trust me when I say that it isn't about you, Ed, Juan, Helldog or Super Caesar, its about two individuals using their Arfcom god ordained powers....one for evil, the other for good!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm sure we can pull together some guns from down here....crossing the Mason-Dixon line might be an issue but we'll get over it....anybody need some artillery?

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I just thought this deserved another go-round...

Quoted:
On a seperate note I would like to talk about the antagonism that seems to be rampant in this forum.  I think we are all better than that.  I don't think we need the personal attacks or the vulgarity.

I have no idea what happened that initially created this mess.  And, because several people involved (including Mr. Avila) have assured us all that they are taking care of it, I don't feel I need to know.

What DOES concern me however is that our little forum, which has certainly blossomed into a community, is turning so sour over this.  On one hand, everyone is rallying to the side of their friend, which is admirable.  On the other hand, people are getting pissed off, taking it personally and generally looking for a fight.  (at least it seems like it)  Nothing good can come from this.  Have a little faith that whatever is going on will work itself out.

So, how about a little less , a little more and a whole LOT more , and ?

When's the next NY get-together?  (up or down state)  The next NJ shoot is 7/5!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Trust me when I say that it isn't about you, Ed, Juan, Helldog or Super Caesar, its about two individuals using their Arfcom god ordained powers....one for evil, the other for good!

OK, now THAT is the most eloquant statement of the issue I have seen yet!  I love it!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hiram is absolutely correct!

DAMN! That's a phrase you don't hear every day! <ducking>

I asked you to trust me on this.

Works for me.

Both of them are substantial asses...and I am not going to let  you "out" one of them with your good  big access ...

TMI!

Please,sit back and relax.We have to much to do to each other!

Okay...that's much too much for me...This sounds like the beginning of another "Texas Man Fest"! I remember the pics of the last one Ed....and the ensuing fall-out.

I think I'll just go work another overtime week and wait for this all to be over....

Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh god, Helldog "Helldogged" Ed!
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#33]
HiramRanger ----> <---- Helldog40

@#!% *#* @#!$% ^#@&#! Even I have a few prophetic insights from time to time...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm curious... shouldn't thing actually be handled by region? For example, west coast mods handle probs on their west side of the hometown forums while east coast handles the east side. Everytime this comes up, I could swear we're being invaded by the west. Actually we are, .50 cal ban from cali and such.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#35]
.....WHATEVER...........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top