Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 6:58:33 PM EDT
apnews.myway.com/article/20040927/D85BMPRO0.html

SEATTLE (AP) - A strengthening series of earthquakes at Mount St. Helens prompted seismologists Sunday to warn that the once-devastating volcano may see a small explosion soon.

The U.S. Geological Survey issued a notice of volcanic unrest in response to the swarm of hundreds of earthquakes that began Thursday.

"The key issue is a small explosion without warning. That would be the major event that we're worried about right now," said Willie Scott, a geologist with the USGS office in Vancouver.

The quakes were tiny at first, but on Saturday and Sunday there were more than 10 temblors of magnitude 2.0 to 2.8, the most in a 24-hour period since the last dome-building eruption in October 1986, Scott said.

In the event of an explosion, Scott said the concern would be focused on the area within the crater and the flanks of the volcano. It's possible that a five-mile area primarily north of the volcano could receive flows of mud and rock debris.

That portion of the mountain blew out during the 1980 eruption that left 57 people dead, devastating hundreds of square miles around the peak and spewing ash over much of the Northwest.

The quakes have occurred at depths less than one mile below the lava dome within the mountain's crater. Some of the earthquakes suggest the involvement of pressurized fluids, such as water or steam, and perhaps magma.

The cause and outcome of the swarm were uncertain Sunday evening. A group of scientists planned to visit the mountain Monday to collect data.

"There's been no explosions, there's no outward sign that anything is occurring. (The notice) is all based on the pattern of earthquake activity that is occurring below the dome," said Scott.

Experts believe there is "an increased probability of explosions from the lava dome if the level of current unrest continues or escalates," USGS and the University of Washington Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network in Seattle said in a joint statement.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Lets all go look! Maybe shoot some tannerite in the crater?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington
University of Washington, Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network, Seattle, Washington

Mount St. Helens Notice of Volcanic Unrest

September 26, 2004 3:00 P.M., PDT

Seismic activity at Mount St. Helens has changed significantly during the past 24 hours and the changes make us believe that there is an increased likelihood of a hazardous event, which warrants release of this Notice of Volcanic Unrest. The swarm of very small, shallow earthquakes (less than Magnitude 1) that began on the morning of 23 September peaked about mid-day on 24 September and slowly declined through yesterday morning. However, since then the character of the swarm has changed to include more than ten larger earthquakes (Magnitude 2-2.8), the most in a 24-hr period since the eruption of October 1986. In addition, some of the earthquakes are of a type that suggests the involvement of pressurized fluids (water and steam) or perhaps magma. The events are still occurring at shallow depths (less than one mile) below the lava dome that formed in the crater between 1980 and 1986.

The cause and outcome of the earthquake swarm are uncertain at this time. Several causes are possible, but most point toward an increased probability of explosions from the lava dome if the level of current unrest continues or escalates. During such explosions the dome and crater floor are at greatest risk from ballistic projectiles, but the rim of the crater and flanks of the volcano could also be at risk. Explosions would also be expected to produce ash clouds that drift downwind at altitudes up to several thousand feet above the crater rim. Landslides and debris flows from the crater that are large enough to reach the Pumice Plain are also possible. Such events occurred at Mount St. Helens between 1989 and 1991.

We continue to monitor the situation closely and will issue additional updates as warranted, whether activity escalates or returns to background levels.

Daily updates of earthquake data and other information can be found on the WORLD WIDE WEB at URL:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascades/CurrentActivity/current_updates.html

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Must be all those evil assault weapons you guys have been building overflowing the streets...

Did Seattle see any black snow from the last eruption???

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Must be all those evil assault weapons you guys have been building overflowing the streets...

Did Seattle see any black snow from the last eruption???

Most of it all went east, eastern washington got hit pretty hard but we had bumper crops from the excellent fertilizer the ash makes.

I was working near chief Joe damn and thought a nuke had gone off, ran into the bunk house and turned on the radio to hear the ebs saying it was an eruption, i tied a bandana around my face and went back to work.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
And who/what/where is Cheif Joe Damn???

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Wonder which will go first, Mount St. Helens or Yellowstone?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Asd long as it aint Rainier, Olympus or Baker, I can live with it probably....

And Rainier isnt totally safe either. Constant seismic activity makes it a for sure, only a matter of when!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm on the high ground, but the Lahars will be a close call.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#10]
If Yellowstone goes off as predicted, much of the N. American continent will go w/ it. The rest won't be much better off, either. This is startng to get depressing...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If Yellowstone goes off as predicted, much of the N. American continent will go w/ it. The rest won't be much better off, either. This is startng to get depressing...

Your kidding me right? I cant wait, earth quakes, floods, fires, hurricanes, tornados, cities getting nuked, sounds like heaven.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Your kidding me right? I cant wait, earth quakes, floods, fires, hurricanes, tornados, cities getting nuked, sounds like heaven.

Sounds like the last days.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds like the last days.

I wish, the sooner the evil eon comes to an end the better but God is slow to wrath and it may be a good while before He pours out His indignation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The History Channel told me that Yellowstone is sitting on top of a Super-Volcano and when it goes it may take 2/3s of North America with it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Rainier is next.  There have been earthquakes there as well.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish that damn helicopter would quit following me, it's just a little gas I tell ya!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The History Channel told me that Yellowstone is sitting on top of a Super-Volcano and when it goes it may take 2/3s of North America with it.

I watched that one.   If I remember right the last one exploded around 20,000 years ago and was responsible for the extinction of most life on Earth due to climate changes, ashes, etc.  

Big big mess...  

Simply put, there's no place to go.

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I lived through it when Mt. St. Helen first erupted the first time.  Don't like to hear that it'll erupt again.
 Hope nothing major.  Good luck, guys.

How old are you?????   [

The first eruption must have been thousands, if not millions years ago...  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Rossi,

Thanks, I just sprayed my keyboard with coffee!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bring it on.

Uh OH.  Another Truman in the making.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top