Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 11/25/2007 9:22:57 AM EDT
I travel with work and will be temporarily located in Hurricane.  I am looking for a range to shoot at.  Can anyone offer some information please?

Also planning on doing some coyote hunting if anyone has any sugggestions for this either.

Tks in advance.

Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There are not really any real ranges around SO Utah. There is a few concrete benches set up alongside the highway that goes up the hill from Hurricane to Vigin. Most people just shoot anywhere outside of city limits.

As far as coyote hunting, there are plenty around, but they are hunted pretty heavily, I would say go west toward Colorado City and Kanab area. Or go north through Cedar city around the Minersville area.

If you are not an experianced predator hunter, I would say forget the coyotes, and go after the abundant rabbit population.( No license needed for Jackrabbit or coyote+ there is a bounty on coyotes in Iron county $25).
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As far as coyote hunting, there are plenty around, but they are hunted pretty heavily, I would say go west toward Colorado City and Kanab area. Or go north through Cedar city around the Minersville area.

Hey thanks for the reply.  I've been in the Richfield area for the last  3 mos and have taken a few coyotes here.  I figured I would try south of the gorge into AZ around Beaver Dam.  Probably not a whole lot of hunting pressure there, nobody lives down there .. lol.  No license needed there either for coyotes.

I thought there was a shooting range in the St. George area though.  It would be nice to fire a few rounds at marked yardages.

Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Range finder and stakes! I shoot at an.. um... informal range near my home frequently. I have stakes for my yardages. Sometimes People shoot them up but they are easy to replace. If you can't afford a range finder Cal Ranch has 5$ 1000' walking measurer's (you know the kind with a wheel) in their discount isle.

Plus you get the benefit of not having to deal with all the BS of a shooting range. You know, idiots, mall ninjas, idiots, and um idiots. No more cheese dicks blasting away with their SKS while you are down range changing targets! No more mall ninjas hanging out talking shop and trying to get you to let them shoot your hardware. No more fudds asking why do you need that thing. no more 300 win mags with breaks going off 4' away when you don't have hearing protection on. It is bliss I tell you BLISS!
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#4]
ROFL

I hear you on so many of those things.  For measured distances I go to Lee Kay (SLC) but for all else west of Tooele or south of Saratoga Springs (yes I live on the opposite end of the state).  Last time I went to Lee Kay one of the range guys kept talking about the DC job on my M14 asking me how many cans of spray paint.  While you could not tell from looking at it it was no spray paint but Duracoat which actually does a nice job.  Then with an AK, AR, Garand, M14, M1 Carbine and more on the rack I practically have to keep them away with a fly swatter.  There is no such thing just going to the range to throw some lead down range and make sure your rifles are on when you have so many asking questions about your collection every time you turn around.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
As others have said, there are no public ranges.  They are trying to set one up in Hurricane by the jail, but the project never seems to get anywhere.  They may have some pistol and shotgun stuff set up out there.  I am not sure if they are set up for rifles.

utahsportingclays.com/index.html

The place where I go shooting is west of Bloomington.  There is a little spot out there where some guy has set up some plates and spinning targets.

I have hunted coyotes out towards the Nevada line near Indian Peaks.  There seem to be a lot of them out there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#6]

The place where I go shooting is west of Bloomington.  There is a little spot out there where some guy has set up some plates and spinning targets.

I have hunted coyotes out towards the Nevada line near Indian Peaks.  There seem to be a lot of them out there.

I know just the place you are talking about, but it is hard to give detailed directions, and is a little far from the oiled road.If I am in a hurry, I normally end up just going to the little "cove" that is on the side of the road out there, and is much closer to the oil road.

The Indian Peaks area does have some good coyote hunting for sure, and not to far form all that public land in Nevada that is also good for coyotes.

As far as Beaver Dam AZ area, You do need a license to hunt coyotes, or rabbits in AZ! There are on the other hand some wild Russian Boars that have no limit,season,weapon, or license requirements.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As far as Beaver Dam AZ area, You do need a license to hunt coyotes, or rabbits in AZ! There are on the other hand some wild Russian Boars that have no limit,season,weapon, or license requirements.

Oh yeah, your right!  Non-resident lic is $151.25 ... guess I wont be going there.  I'll check into the pigs though, that actually sounds like more fun and gotta be better eatin'.  

Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#8]
License to hunt rabbits and coyotes?  That sounds like a joke.  What kind of license is it?  Fur bearing?  I certainly hope they don't eat coyotes and jack rabbits down there.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
The games laws indicate that all you need is a "general" hunting license.  Either way, I'm not spending that much to shoot coyotes.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I know just the place you are talking about, but it is hard to give detailed directions, and is a little far from the oiled road.

I actually met the guy who put up all of those metal targets out there a few weeks ago.  He was shooting a FA Thompson.  He let me and my kids empty a drum.  Nice guy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There are not really any real ranges around SO Utah. There is a few concrete benches set up alongside the highway that goes up the hill from Hurricane to Vigin. Most people just shoot anywhere outside of city limits.

I found this place, not too bad of a place to shoot and only 4 miles from where I'm at.  Atleast I can check my sights once in a while.  I've been out touring looking for coyotes and listening a bit.  I'll get out and try to take a stand the next few days.

Thanks for the tip on the shooting benches, they will do just fine.  

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top