Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/26/2004 6:54:10 AM EDT
Hey guys,

My cousin is an 0-3 in the Air Force, and has orders for Scott AFB, effective late January.

He's a Communications Officer, so, short of his 6 mos. in the sand box at the begining of the current unpleasantries, he doesn't shoot much.

This is first Stateside assignment since he completed training, 3+ years overseas between Korea, Germany, and the Gulf.

I want to take him out with the AR's, let him play, Handguns too.

Any thoughts would be helpfull, including, should we play on the Missouri side instead??

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 10:23:48 AM EDT
Belleville Shooting Range is nice for an indoor 25 yard. You can pretty much shoot whatever you want and there's no bullshit "rapid-fire" rules and such. They have a decent amount of rentals as well (including some F/A toys).
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 12:49:38 PM EDT

The new state range facility, the World Shooting and Recreational Complex, is just south of Scott AFB.

I heard that it is open now for some use, but I can't find confirmation of that. People at Scott will surely know.

Besides list below, will also have pistol and rifle ranges to 200 yards.

dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/home.htm

This unique site will be located in Southern Illinois near the City of Sparta, near three airports and less than 50 miles from three metropolitan areas including St. Louis, MO. Visitors will have access to a variety of amenities from quaint local restaurants and shops, to the bustling activities of the St. Louis area.

The complex will feature a variety of activities for the avid sportsman.

1500+ acres including 250 acres of water
100 trap fields extending 3.5 miles
2 sporting clay courses
skeet
ATV demonstration area
Cowboy Action Shooting corral
Championship 3-D archery course
Permanent exhibitor building
600 RV campsites with electric and water, and potential for camping jamborees accommodating 1000+ campers
Recreational center building
Multi-purpose, multi-use recreational facility

Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:11:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SG688:

The new state range facility, the World Shooting and Recreational Complex, is just south of Scott AFB.

I heard that it is open now for some use, but I can't find confirmation of that. People at Scott will surely know.

Besides list below, will also have pistol and rifle ranges to 200 yards.

dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/home.htm

This unique site will be located in Southern Illinois near the City of Sparta, near three airports and less than 50 miles from three metropolitan areas including St. Louis, MO. Visitors will have access to a variety of amenities from quaint local restaurants and shops, to the bustling activities of the St. Louis area.

The complex will feature a variety of activities for the avid sportsman.

1500+ acres including 250 acres of water
100 trap fields extending 3.5 miles
2 sporting clay courses
skeet
ATV demonstration area
Cowboy Action Shooting corral
Championship 3-D archery course
Permanent exhibitor building
600 RV campsites with electric and water, and potential for camping jamborees accommodating 1000+ campers
Recreational center building
Multi-purpose, multi-use recreational facility

I don't believe the complex will have rifle ranges or hangun ranges. I believe this is only a Shotgun/Bow/and Sass complex. Missouri will probably be your best bet. I don't personally know of any public rifle/pistol ranges down there, but I'm sure someone does. Illinois is a pain in the ass state for anything but shotgun and bow. Nationwide, please thank your cousin on my behalf for his service to our country.
Link Posted: 12/26/2004 4:30:11 PM EDT
How about that. I just asked my dad, and he says he forgot to tell me about this place. I'll have to check it out when it opens. It looks like there will be a rifle/pistol range, but I hate to imagine how retarded they'll be when it comes to range rules.

By the way, make sure your cousin gets a FOID card if he intends upon becoming an IL resident. I don't know what the rules are for military people, so it may or may not be an issue. Check it out here:

www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearms.cfm

Here's Belleville's web site. I would go here for anything under 25 yards hands down, even if it is $10 per hour for non-members.

www.bsrgunshop.com/

Caseyville Gun Club may have something special for military folks:

caseyvillegunclub.com/

Other than that, tell your cousin to transfer to TX or a SANE state. IL sucks.

themao
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 11:51:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2004 11:54:35 AM EDT by illinois]
There is also a range in highland. Its 5 dollars for non members to shoot at the outside 100 yard range. They have an indoor range also but you can only shoot lead bullets in there, no jacketed bullets. I forgot the cost to use the indoor range I only shoot outside. Its pretty good place and the cost isn't bad. Bring your own targets. They do have some targets to rent if you don't have any. Sometimes no one is there so its best to bring your own targets. If no one is there you just put your 5 dollars in a tube near the door its on an honor system. I think its the best place around here to shoot out of the ranges I know of. There aren't to many around here and 5 dollars is cheap.

Name of range is the Highland Pistol and rifle Club. They have a bar inside with big screen tv and plenty of tables.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:23:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By themao:
How about that. I just asked my dad, and he says he forgot to tell me about this place. I'll have to check it out when it opens. It looks like there will be a rifle/pistol range, but I hate to imagine how retarded they'll be when it comes to range rules.

dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/complex_plans/Site%20Plan%20080204-Modellg.jpg

By the way, make sure your cousin gets a FOID card if he intends upon becoming an IL resident. I don't know what the rules are for military people, so it may or may not be an issue. Check it out here:

www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearms.cfm

Here's Belleville's web site. I would go here for anything under 25 yards hands down, even if it is $10 per hour for non-members.

www.bsrgunshop.com/

Caseyville Gun Club may have something special for military folks:

caseyvillegunclub.com/

Other than that, tell your cousin to transfer to TX or a SANE state. IL sucks.

themao

I stand corrected. Glad to see they will be offering a pistol/rifle range. I thought I had heard they were cutting it out of the project. Guess you just never know. I still say to stay on the missouri side though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:20:55 PM EDT
Nationwide, check your email
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:39:17 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info.

I've got a bigger problem on my hands now.

I've found a Beretta M9 at my local FFL!!!

I can't decide whether to keep if for my own collection, or work up some type of presentation case/shadow box for my cousin. He may or may not ever shoot it. I'm not sure that he even likes to shoot.
Top Top