Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/13/2012 2:42:59 PM EST
Thought I would try here, not knowledgeable at all on pellet rifles. Live on 1 acre, open land behind me but in city limits. Shotgun would be safe, but could bring a visitor. Considering a pellet rifle for nusience (I cannot spell) squirrels. Any advice on a reasonably accurate under $200 pellet rifle that can eliminate a squirrel?
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:56:14 PM EST
Some of the .177 rifles can get fairly high muzzle velocity try going to cabelas and get one for 100 they are a fun way to practice
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:01:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/13/2012 3:02:38 PM EST by ma1775]
depends on what kind of accuracy you are looking for. In my experience, I have seen the .22 caliber pellet guns are much more accurate.

also, don't bother with the gamo suppressed air gun, the spring noise is louder than an unsuppressed pellet gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:45:34 PM EST
I have a gamo that shoots 1000 fps. Got it years ago. It's fun as hell when it comes to rodents.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:30:14 PM EST
I know they aren't the best, but I always did pretty good with my Benjamin 392 in 22. 5 pumps up in the tree, it was a great thumper.

8 full pumps, we shoot rabbits at my Dad's house at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 5:21:50 PM EST
You need to feed them. They're a great food source come Dec. 21st
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 8:08:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By joemama74:
I know they aren't the best, but I always did pretty good with my Benjamin 392 in 22. 5 pumps up in the tree, it was a great thumper.

8 full pumps, we shoot rabbits at my Dad's house at 25 yards.

I'll second a Benjamin. Got mine when I was 10 and 39 years later, with a couple of gasket changes, it still shoots like a champ. It's .177 and squirrels are drt.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:45:27 AM EST
Another plus 1 on the Benjamin. The .22 models have more then enough power for a clean kill on a squirrel. Shoot them in the head and they will fall at your feet. Plus you don't mess up the meat if you're going to eat them. Squirrel and dumplings is actually a pretty good dish.
The Benjamin .22 can take rabbit sized critters too with good shot placement.

You can shoot pellets or .22 cal lead balls in them. I like the heavier projectile of the .22 over the smaller more common .177 rifles. I'd say they are probably on par energy wise with a .22 short. I've never run mine through my chronograph but now you have me thinking about getting some velocities out of it to see how it really does compare to a .22 short.

I still have the Benjamin my grandfather gave me when I was about 8. That would be 27 years ago now. They hold up well. It still works great with proper lubrication. Now I use it to keep the birds out of my garden and my son will be using it to slaughter coke cans when he's a little older.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:42:14 AM EST
Ive had both the Benjamin and a GAMO one pump setup. I like my GAMO better has I only have to break it down once and bam same consistency all the time. The benjamin has had to be repaired twice as the cocking mechanism broke twice... Same thing happened to my brothers so it has a weak link. I have taken out possums, squirels and rabits with the .177 game load pellet and I am in the city limits as well. Make sure you site it in good and go to town. I was using one side of the yard to the other has idstance and put the same pellet on a quarter sized hole off hand until I was ready to take out the crap that strays into my yard.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:56:09 AM EST
+1 again for the benjamin pump.

I've got one in each caliber and the .22 is my goto for squirrel help. the .177 just doesnt have the knock down power. my stepdad gave me a pretty nice spring gun that shoots faster, but its so loud I dont shoot it.

my thought process is this:
my suppressed 22 rifle is the absolute nuts for getting squirrels and other nuisance critters in my yard. but nosey neighbors dont really like that. so it only comes out when absolutely necessary.
22 benjamin is a little bit louder and a little less effective. but its "only a pellet gun" so more neighbor friendly.
177 benjamin gets loaned out to friends when they need to borrow something
spring gun might go to the ranch as its way too loud for neighborhood work, even if its more accurate and a "better" critter getter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:47:49 AM EST
I will say that my GAMO is a little loud as well. But my neigbors think it is me just doing something stupid in the backyard as usual. I have way to many toys and play with way to much crap for them to wonder. I am pretty sure if SHTF in my house they probably woudn't even bother to knock on the door
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:46:08 PM EST
i had a Benjamin, great pellet gun. but a 22lr is about as loud as a pellet gun, and quicker follow up shots than a pump pellet gun. (never used a CO2 pellet/bb gun, so don't know how it compares)
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:29:28 PM EST
One shot won't gather much attention. If you make multiple shots in a short amount of time, they're gonna find you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:39:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/14/2012 7:40:36 PM EST by jbntex]
I use these for squirrel control around the house.

In a bolt action 22lr rifle I find them more deadly than your common academy $100 .177 pellet gun and a lot more quiet as well without the loud "sproonngg" noise, not to mention much faster to reload since there is no "pumping" involved.

I just leave an old mossberg 22 bolt action with a BSA scope on it in the laundry room so there is no need to go get a suppressed 22 from the safe. Just snap the magazine in the rest of the way in, push and lock the bolt forward, crack the back door = DRT squirrel.

The nice thing (assuming you already own a 22LR) is the initial cost investment is like $5 for a box of 50.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:46:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By jbntex:

http://www.eabco.com/CartImages/Aguila/SuperColibri.gif

In a bolt action 22lr rifle I find them more deadly than your common academy $100 .177 pellet gun and a lot more quiet as well without the loud "sproonngg" noise, not to mention much faster to reload since there is no "pumping" involved.

I just leave an old mossberg 22 bolt action with a BSA scope on it in the laundry room so there is no need to go get a suppressed 22 from the safe. Just snap the magazine in the rest of the way in, push and lock the bolt forward, crack the back door = DRT squirrel.

The nice thing (assuming you already own a 22LR) is the initial cost investment is like $5 for a box of 50.

Interesting! So that load is using the primer compound only? No powder? What sort of velocity would you guess-timate? I'm thinking that's an almost perfect solution for small game / vermin. Pellets are cheaper of course, but if it's as quiet as you say.. very interesting.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:12:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/14/2012 8:43:31 PM EST by jbntex]
Originally Posted By leatherface_y2k:

Interesting! So that load is using the primer compound only? No powder? What sort of velocity would you guess-timate? I'm thinking that's an almost perfect solution for small game / vermin. Pellets are cheaper of course, but if it's as quiet as you say.. very interesting.

Not 100% sure on the velocity but they will go through a half inch pine board about 50% of the time at 25 yards whenever I sight in. I would guess in the 500 to 600ft/sec range for the "super" colibri. However since the projo is 20grs and a 177 pellet is 7 grains on average they are almost 3 times the mass. The regular/standard colibri generally wont penetrate a 1/2 pine board all the way through.

Edited to add, one of the main reasons I moved away from pellet guns was the waste of ammo.

For me at least the squirrels have figured out that the human with the bangstick doesnt equal good things for them, so quite often they haul ass once they see or hear the back door crack open. With springer or pump air rifle you are now stuck with a gun you can't unload without firing if your target runs off. You are not supposed to leave springers cocked long term nor fire them without a pellet (assuming you could even get the pellet out of the barrel in a convienent manner), regardless I wouldnt want to leave a loaded and cocked gun in my laundry room for a week or more at a time even if it is an air rifle.

Since I get a clean shot opportuntiy maybe 25% at best, than meant at least 3 out of 4 pellets were shot into the dirt just to clear the gamo springer and render it safe. With the aguila just unrack the bolt like any other firearm and remove the cartridge. I was going to buy one of those fancy pneumatic air talon air rifles advertised in the back of American Rifleman with the squirrel in the combat helmet, when I decided to give the aguila stuff a try and have not looked back since. I go through a box of 50 aguila maybe every 12 to 18 months.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:41:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By leatherface_y2k:

Not 100% sure on the velocity but they will go through a half inch pine board about 50% of the time at 25 yards whenever I sight in. I would guess in the 500 to 600ft/sec range for the "super" colibri. However since the projo is 20grs and a 177 pellet is 7 grains on average they are almost 3 times the mass. The regular/standard colibri generally wont penetrate a 1/2 pine board all the way through.

Edited to add, one of the main reasons I moved away from pellet guns was the waste of ammo.

For me at least the squirrels have figured out that the human with the bangstick doesnt equal good things for them, so quite often they haul ass once they see or hear the back door crack open. With springer or pump air rifle you are now stuck with a gun you can't unload without firing if your target runs off. You are not supposed to leave springers cocked long term nor fire them without a pellet (assuming you could even get the pellet out of the barrel in a convienent manner), regardless I wouldnt want to leave a loaded and cocked gun in my laundry room for a week or more at a time even if it is an air rifle.

Since I get a clean shot opportuntiy maybe 25% at best, than meant at least 3 out of 4 pellets were shot into the dirt just to clear the gamo springer and render it safe. With the aguila just unrack the bolt like any other firearm and remove the cartridge. I was going to buy one of those fancy pneumatic air talon air rifles advertised in the back of American Rifleman with the squirrel in the combat helmet, when I decided to give the aguila stuff a try and have not looked back since. I go through a box of 50 aguila maybe every 12 to 18 months.

great points. and I still have a couple of old single shot 22s in the safe.

how's accuracy? lethal range on squirrel?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:32:45 AM EST
Had a squirrel problem, with them getting into my attic. Made a couple of noose snares, problem solved ( quietly).
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:14:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2012 11:21:38 AM EST by MateFrio]
I was also going to say, trapping\snaring is much more effective.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:42:17 AM EST
Yeah but where's the fun in that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:48:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By Wahnsinn:
Yeah but where's the fun in that?

I had a lot of fun using a new skill and validating it would work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:02:23 PM EST
great points. and I still have a couple of old single shot 22s in the safe.

how's accuracy? lethal range on squirrel?

Out of a 1960's vintage mossberg 142 they are minute of squirrel accurate at 20 yards. Whenever I do resight it in at 20 to 25 yardsI have no issues keeping a group roughly the size of a quarter.

Given the combination of a 50+ year old bolt action and shooting 20gr primer driven bullets it certainly does the job, but they are not tack drivers at least in my setup . The mossberg rifle shoots better with normal 22LR that it was chambered for, but for shooting squirrels out of my flower pots at 10 to 20 yards I have no issues. I suspect you lose some accuracy as the Aguila are not as long as a normal 22LR cartridge so there is going to be a small jump for the bullet to move forward before it hits the rifling.

I generally don't shoot them much farther than 20 yards, so couldnt say what the maximum lethal range is. But in a backyard setting or around the house they have no issues knocking nusiance squirrels in the dirt.

It is a cheap investment, grab a box from David at the Gun Store up in Cedar park for a couple bucks and try em out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:17:04 PM EST

I've shot those before, they're pretty cool. They won't cycle a 10/22 and are extremely quiet. IIRC, we shot a milk jug without water in it from maybe 30 yards back and it didn't exit the jug, bullet was just sitting in the bottom.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:30:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/17/2012 5:31:58 PM EST by Boognish]
Colibris are fun to shoot. I actually tried to push them out as far as I could from my lever-action ithaca. From about 50 yards, you have to hold about 2 feet high. They will hit an aluminum can, but only make a dent and you can actually see the bullet flying through the air at that distance. . There is a noticeable delay between the report of the bullet (sounds like a cap gun) and the "thump" of it hitting the target.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:14:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/18/2012 4:17:01 AM EST by keltoid]
Believe it or not, it is illegal to "hunt" squirrels with an air or pellet rifle. You may not use air rifles or pistols to hunt squirrels. Artificial light, pellet guns, remote control hunting, traps and night hunting are also illegal.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:29:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By keltoid:
Believe it or not, it is illegal to "hunt" squirrels with an air or pellet rifle. You may not use air rifles or pistols to hunt squirrels. Artificial light, pellet guns, remote control hunting, traps and night hunting are also illegal.

Now we're getting down to the details So we have to identify what type of squirrel we're working with.

Flying squirrels and ground squirrels are considered nongame animals and you can use pellet guns/air rifles.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 8:34:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By keltoid:

I had squirrels in my attic once. They like to chew wires. First they will chew little wires and take out doorbells, alarms, telephones, etc. Then they will will find bigger wires and maybe electrocute themselves, perhaps starting a fire. This is in addition to the other damage they cause.

I talked to the local game warden about it. He did not have a problem with shooting squirrels as long as you were "defending your home." He said the cops would probably have a problem with you discharging firearms or pellet guns in the city limits, however.

He DID NOT want me to catch the squirrels in a Haveaheart trap and relocate them. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:50:16 PM EST

. I ran some these through my chrono a couple of months ago. They did better than I thought they would. I used a 5 shot string, fired with a Kel-Tec PLR 22
Very accurate and consistent to 25 yards.

High velocity- 702 fps
Low velocity- 663 fps
Average vel- 686 fps
Extreme spread- 39 fps
Standard deviation- 14 fps

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:41:58 PM EST
super colibri in a bolt action is quieter than ANY of my pellet guns, even my cheapo crossman and red ryder. The loudest part is when the projectile hits something hard.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:43:06 PM EST
Now, I'm using an old Stevens with a rather long barrel, so that really helps reduce sound. Most 22's don't have barrels this long anymore.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:51:46 AM EST
Be careful using these in a rifle. Per Aquila, these are to be used only in handguns.

Due to their low power, there is the concern that a bullet may stick in the longer barrel of a rifle. Follow that up with a regular round and you might not like the results.

That said, they are very quiet in a rifle. I have an old Garcia rifle that looks more like a pellet gun than most of my pellet guns. Firearms are a no-no but the neighbors are used to me playing around with an airsoft so the occasional Super Colibri round does not raise any eyebrows.

Best price I've found these rounds is Cheaper Than Dirt at $22.79 for a box of 500.

Bill
Top Top