Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2012 4:50:58 AM EDT
I want a CHEAP spotting scope to take to the range so that I can look at my target and make sight adjustments without having to call cease fire on the line, etc. I am not looking for a spotting scope worthy of combat. Looking for cheap and functional. Anyone with recent spotting scope experience purchase would be appreciated. Also interested in comments about spotting scope tripod.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had two cheaper ones.  You can find great deals on Bushnell online and the have a nice 20-60X unit with a 60mm objective.  I have also had a Nikon spotting scope but it cost more and was similar in design.  Basically you want a 60-80mm wide objective and at least a 50X power to see shots out to 200-300 yards.  I prefer the 60 power myself.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Konus spotter last year: Konus Spotter

Midway runs these on sell often for $199. In the limited research I did last year, this one appeared to get good reviews for a low a low end spotter. I've been happy with mine considering the cost. The tripod sucks though. I recommend replacing it.

ETA: You're welcome to borrow mine to see if it would work for you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Define "cheap". What's "cheap" to one person may not be to another.

Define the parameters. If you're using it to supplement iron sights at shorter ranges, something will be better than nothing. If you're using it with a magnified optic, you may be better off using your riflescope.

Without the above being answered, it's hard to give a good answer. The primary purpose of a spotting scope is to spot, so resolution better be a high priority with the lens quality, which doesn't come cheap - I don't care what anybody says.

I've had the B&L Elite 15-45x and thought it was a great spotter for the dollar. It's now marketed under Bushnell. The Army issued it as the M144 (I think), but they're about $350. Out of all I've used, I haven't used much less that I've been impressed with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Konus also and for about $200 it is a good spotter. The included table top tripod is worthless, so I got a quick release head and put that on a surveyors tripod.  I just rest it on a shooting bag when needed from prone. So far I have used it up to 400 yds and have no trouble tracking shots.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Vortex that was a clearance at $200 and I am pleased with it. I rarely use it though since theres not a whole lot I can see through it that I could see through a good rifle scope. I usually have a NF with me and no longer take the spotter.

There are some great optic quality rifle scopes that are not "tactical" and sell pretty cheap...One example is the old B&L 4200 6-24x or Nikon Monarch UCCs. You can pick these up for $300 used usually and they work great for shooting and spotting. Their glass is on par with Leupolds 2-2.5X the price but they are not as adjustable and don't have some of the other features.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks - I will look at the Konus and see what others are on "sale".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top