Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 4:33:00 PM EDT
Well Crap.

This past week I got the call from sports authority about the periodic sale they call people about ($10 off a $20 purchase).  So I go to the store today and go to the hunting counter and no guns/no ammo.  I couldn't believe it.  I had used this same sale/coupon last year to buy a bunch of q3131a.

I asked the guy who worked there and he said all the Sports Authorities in ILLINOIS have gotten rid of ammo (and guns I presume) because of all the lawsuits.  Don't know of any that directly named SA as part of a lawsuit though.

That just pissed me off.

Has anyone else noticed this.  I was at the one in Downers Grove, but I may check the one in Aurora as well sometime this week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an Atra A-100 from there quite a few years back.  A .40 cal that actually came with a 13rd. modified 9mm mag.  I have noticed that they got rid of all their guns and ammo.  It's a shame because they used to have some relly good prices every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought my 1st gun from them...a Glock23 when I first moved here from NY.  I stopped shopping there when they stopped selling guns, just like I'm about to do with Galyans (Dicks).
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Looking at webistes,

Dick's, Dunhams, Sports Authority, and MC Sports all have very similar webistes. Same navigation, same prices, and the same stuff.......................

I think one company owns tham all, plus Galyans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Alot of companies have independant web companies run their websites,that why alot of them look alike.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow.  I have been getting my 9mm at the local one here latley, when they run it on sale its cheaper then Walmart or ordering it.

BTW, My local money off coupons say no guns/ammo
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Wow.  I have been getting my 9mm at the local one here latley, when they run it on sale its cheaper then Walmart or ordering it.

BTW, My local money off coupons say no guns/ammo

The ones in the advertisements/paper said no guns/ammo, but the ones they called your home phone number for were ok.  I did it several times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking at webistes,

Dick's, Dunhams, Sports Authority, and MC Sports all have very similar webistes. Same navigation, same prices, and the same stuff.......................

I think one company owns tham all, plus Galyans.

I know that sports authority and sportmart (and maybe dunhams) are both owned by Gart Sports.  Dick's now owns Galyans, but I am not sure about the others.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Sports Authority was having a serious problem a couple of years ago with handguns "disapearring" when they got shipped to stores as stocking items.  Apparently some of the younger employees were stealing them from the back room(!)

Galyans seems like the *loathe* to carry guns.  How the f*ck am I supposed to buy a gun if they keep it and the ammo way back where I can't see the pricetag, no one is manning the counter,  and then they won't even take the damn trigger lock off when I do get  to look at it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Galyans seems like the *loathe* to carry guns.  How the f*ck am I supposed to buy a gun if they keep it and the ammo way back where I can't see the pricetag, no one is manning the counter,  and then they won't even take the damn trigger lock off when I do get  to look at it?

I'll make it easier for you--I was there today and a guy was looking at a handgun--the guy behind the counter said to get it while he could, because after they "become" Dick's in January, there won't be any more handguns.

IIRC, Dick's sells ammo for handguns (although I might be wrong about that). Not that I'll be buying it.

I went to Dick's once and looked at a shotgun. The guy behind the counter handled the thing like it was a rattlesnake or a bomb or something. He handed it to me, action open, unloaded (obviously) with a trigger lock. I hit the bolt release and it snapped shut--you'd think I had just shot someone! I swear to God that every eye in the store was on me, like I was about to go on a murderous rampage. The guy behind the counter commented "Not good." WTF? Think I'm going to spend $600 on something I can't dry fire once, and can't check the action either?

No big deal--Gander Mountain is right across the street. I'll just go there.

Edit for speeling.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Galyans has already done it down in Atlanta.  They pulled all the handguns weeks ago and started giving out some bullshit story about how their "license had lapsed and they were trying to renew it"; okay, I bought that until I looked over and saw that the toady spewing this bullshit was in the middle of transferring a shotgun.  I found out from another friend that spoke with somebody higher up the food chain that the day the say went through they were told to pull the handguns from the cases.  Nice, huh?  Fuck Dicks and Fuck Galyans.  The only way I'll buy something from them is when it's so heavily discounted that they are losing money by selling it to me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I went to sports autority (aurora/fox valley)  today to buy some gun cleaning supplies, GUESS WHAT!
NO MORE GUN CLEANING SUPPLIES!!!! They must be motivated by far more than law suits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top